Author Topic: Sharing lords gold, whats up with that?  (Read 27005 times)

m2rt

• Knight
    • View Profile
Sharing lords gold, whats up with that?
« Topic Start: June 06, 2011, 07:50:41 PM »
Hey,

I have seen that its a growing trend in Republics and such to declare that lords gold is the realms gold and that lords are only there on the whim of the public. Is battlemaster really evolving? Will BM soon be date in the 1800s?

Just had to mention, that I have already seen those arguments in 2 realms I am playing. Luckily my family is old fashioned and will bring those realms down who think such ludacris ideas. But still, I can not wait to see where this leads too... Lets talk again in 10 years.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing lords gold, whats up with that?
« Reply #1: June 06, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
Republics and democracies in BM have always had silly ideas like that :)
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 06, 2011, 10:43:43 PM »
They can try to tax the Lords ;-)  I'm sure they'll just find a realm who isn't so silly.

I've had somewhere between 1000-5000 gold on my Duke at any given time or stored safely in various strongboxes nobody knows about if you catch my meaning ;-)

m2rt

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 06, 2011, 11:33:33 PM »
They can try to tax the Lords ;-)  I'm sure they'll just find a realm who isn't so silly.

I've had somewhere between 1000-5000 gold on my Duke at any given time or stored safely in various strongboxes nobody knows about if you catch my meaning ;-)

Yeah, same here with my Duke. Even over that with tournament gold. Some regions sadly cant join other realms. Lets hope they will get a spine...

m2rt

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 06, 2011, 11:34:01 PM »
Republics and democracies in BM have always had silly ideas like that :)

And that is why I should stick to Kingdoms and Tyrannies...

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 07, 2011, 04:49:11 AM »
That's not a new idea.  When I joined Battlemaster, most of the realms I played in flat our decreed that all gold belonged to the realm, and the only difference was what degree of freedom you had in spending it to further realm goals.  Of course, that was under the old tax system when it was easier for Bankers to force that.

I'd say the lords should then band together and tell the rest of the realm to !@#$ off.  After all, they have the gold.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 07, 2011, 05:01:15 AM »
That's not a new idea.  When I joined Battlemaster, most of the realms I played in flat our decreed that all gold belonged to the realm, and the only difference was what degree of freedom you had in spending it to further realm goals.  Of course, that was under the old tax system when it was easier for Bankers to force that.

I'd say the lords should then band together and tell the rest of the realm to !@#$ off.  After all, they have the gold.

Its similar to the argument that a regions food belongs to the realm and should be shipped around for free. Either the Lords are powerful and organised enough to get together and force the issue, or they aren't. Can't blame the powers to be for taking advantage of weakness.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 07, 2011, 10:48:15 AM »
In Riombara they bluntly told me that this realm was "different", and now we have communist-ish system running that taxes all lords and dukes 25% (totally ignore the game saying that such taxing is considered punishment).

My new goal: destroying Riombara, one way or another. I hate these anti-medieval ideas in a medieval setting. It's not because a realm is a republic or a democracy, that it is a modern day version of that.
Ardet nec consumitur.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 07, 2011, 12:18:19 PM »
(totally ignore the game saying that such taxing is considered punishment).

Don't assume too much. It could be willful infringement.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 07, 2011, 12:56:39 PM »
...i didn't see many people advocating food trade or taxing cities heavier XD

i think the issue in riombara is 2 folds.

more nobles in cities combined than rural/town. tax/food benefits cities, so all the more reason not to vote for changes that'll hit the cities.

no one tries to starve cities either though they can't really, as there's no 1 duke to rally around to secede for example.. it's unlikely to change
firefox

m2rt

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 07, 2011, 01:16:59 PM »
In Riombara they bluntly told me that this realm was "different", and now we have communist-ish system running that taxes all lords and dukes 25% (totally ignore the game saying that such taxing is considered punishment).

My new goal: destroying Riombara, one way or another. I hate these anti-medieval ideas in a medieval setting. It's not because a realm is a republic or a democracy, that it is a modern day version of that.

Stupid Fleugs, don't say it out loud. People can NOT ignore OOC when deciding IC decisions. Its a fact. My past proves that.

But in general I agree.

m2rt

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 07, 2011, 01:18:03 PM »
...i didn't see many people advocating food trade or taxing cities heavier XD

i think the issue in riombara is 2 folds.

more nobles in cities combined than rural/town. tax/food benefits cities, so all the more reason not to vote for changes that'll hit the cities.

no one tries to starve cities either though they can't really, as there's no 1 duke to rally around to secede for example.. it's unlikely to change

Blah blah blah, who cares about where are the knights. Things must regulate themselves by themselves.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: June 07, 2011, 03:13:26 PM »
Stupid Fleugs, don't say it out loud. People can NOT ignore OOC when deciding IC decisions. Its a fact. My past proves that.

But in general I agree.

Isn't this why OOC bans were implemented?  *itchy finger* ;)

m2rt

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 07, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
Isn't this why OOC bans were implemented?  *itchy finger* ;)

Nah, too hard to prove. Really impossible.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 08, 2011, 04:50:46 AM »

Oh, fancy seeing you here... do you come here often?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner