Author Topic: Sharing lords gold, whats up with that?  (Read 27030 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing lords gold, whats up with that?
« Reply #45: June 09, 2011, 04:39:56 AM »
This is discussed in PeL, but Askileon buys food and the route to the city is quite safe (grins).
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: June 09, 2011, 04:45:57 AM »
Askileon Purlieus can't send caravans to any region held by D'Hara. If any region in the realm could, I'm guessing it would be the capital. Then again while the rates aren't quiet as good, the aren't too bad in PeL. I seem to recall Ramiel was one of those that got their panties in a knot when the idea of the cities actually paying for food was first raised in the realm.

It would appear the Giask from Nova can sell food to D'Hara though.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 04:47:57 AM by De-Legro »
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: June 09, 2011, 04:53:50 AM »
A trader could be sent to pass by for collection, if the available stocks are large enough to warrant it...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: June 09, 2011, 04:55:08 AM »
A trader could be sent to pass by for collection, if the available stocks are large enough to warrant it...

Well I really hope then that you get permission for your trader to enter the lands of PeL. One would hate for a diplomatic incident to occur.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: June 09, 2011, 04:55:41 AM »
Askileon Purlieus can't send caravans to any region held by D'Hara. If any region in the realm could, I'm guessing it would be the capital. Then again while the rates aren't quiet as good, the aren't too bad in PeL. I seem to recall Ramiel was one of those that got their panties in a knot when the idea of the cities actually paying for food was first raised in the realm.

It would appear the Giask from Nova can sell food to D'Hara though.

Port Nebel isn't within range of Askileon? That'd actually be a sea route now that I look at it, though. Cool. Maybe one of your border rurals can send via the land route?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: June 09, 2011, 04:57:06 AM »
Port Nebel isn't within range of Askileon? That'd actually be a sea route now that I look at it, though. Cool. Maybe one of your border rurals can send via the land route?

Askileon might be, Askileon Purlieus sure isn't.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: June 09, 2011, 05:00:09 AM »
Askileon can't, but it's beside the point as PeL really doesn't have any food to spare and does pay for food.  Heck, Koli even asked what the Lords thought was fair for food prices.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

m2rt

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: June 09, 2011, 06:40:07 AM »
The question is then, which part of what I say here, or on IRC, is really true? I have known some before, that took what I said OOCly ingame, and were shamed to find out that what I said OOC was not my character's plan. More people should do it; eventually everyone will be careful about what they believe or not.

Nevertheless, the mere fact that, as a player, you would use OOC information, makes you a cheater.

Well ofcourse I use my OOC experiences, but not OOC information about BM and other chars. But others do. Actually, I wouldn't even mind if you would destroy the realm we are talking about.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: June 09, 2011, 08:16:36 AM »
Automated caravans work just like all other region-to-region caravans, except that they're, well, automated.

including gold paid upfront instead of taken from taxes?
firefox

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: June 09, 2011, 11:26:04 AM »
Giask can't sell anything to the islands, not that Fulco would even if he could. And every lord of his duchy trying to sell food anyway to an other duchy/realm has serious problem with Fulco. 

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: June 09, 2011, 11:55:55 AM »
I'd rather prefer it be made less visible. ;)

It is a perfectly acceptable stance, but I wonder what can then bankers do. Already now the majority of them are bent on gaining gold one way or another rather than helping the realm so much, given that their possibilities to fetch food are limited to the interaction with foreign bankers, which in turn may not have any control on food.

Therefore if the bankers are unable to understand what's going on with food, that is not only in the hands of the Lords practically but also as an informative matter - so that bankers would be spoiled of their organizing-overseeing-controlling task too, I really don't see any reasonable task for them

Also if you may allow me to be the annoying guy here, I don't think the forum should be used as a way to give people informations on trade. One nice thing of dwilight is the sheer number of trading guilds that were created, and I know of many people that moved chars for very long trips only for the sake of finding the right contacts. I understand that what's written here is ooc but we all know how things can go. I believe we should discuss generic matters and not detailed ones about who buys food where and how etc

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: June 09, 2011, 12:59:39 PM »
It is a perfectly acceptable stance, but I wonder what can then bankers do. Already now the majority of them are bent on gaining gold one way or another rather than helping the realm so much, given that their possibilities to fetch food are limited to the interaction with foreign bankers, which in turn may not have any control on food.

Therefore if the bankers are unable to understand what's going on with food, that is not only in the hands of the Lords practically but also as an informative matter - so that bankers would be spoiled of their organizing-overseeing-controlling task too, I really don't see any reasonable task for them

Also if you may allow me to be the annoying guy here, I don't think the forum should be used as a way to give people informations on trade. One nice thing of dwilight is the sheer number of trading guilds that were created, and I know of many people that moved chars for very long trips only for the sake of finding the right contacts. I understand that what's written here is ooc but we all know how things can go. I believe we should discuss generic matters and not detailed ones about who buys food where and how etc

Bankers are practically useless nowadays. They lost their main powers, and their other important powers are mostly also present in others (rulers have tax options). I wouldn't really so no to having them merged into the ruler position anymore, last time I played a banker I found the experience to be very unsatisfying. Their only use is to be able to see the big picture. Just give dukes the power to get a copy of the big picture for a few coins, and you've got that covered.

I have advertized D'Hara's offers on these guilds various times. But not everyone is part of them, and I don't feel it bad for people to OOC know that there is a place where trading is taken completely differently.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: June 09, 2011, 01:12:41 PM »
I seem to recall Ramiel was one of those that got their panties in a knot when the idea of the cities actually paying for food was first raised in the realm.

Your memory is still as bad as ever then. I look forward to the day when you are in your Colony in the Lighthouse.
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: June 09, 2011, 01:30:11 PM »
Bankers are practically useless nowadays. They lost their main powers, and their other important powers are mostly also present in others (rulers have tax options).
Rulers can see tax settings, and can call an early tax. The interface for changing actual tax settings *appears* to work, but if you try and commit the changes you get a polite message telling you that you're not he banker, so get lost.

I wouldn't really so no to having them merged into the ruler position anymore, last time I played a banker I found the experience to be very unsatisfying. Their only use is to be able to see the big picture. Just give dukes the power to get a copy of the big picture for a few coins, and you've got that covered.
It's just about getting to that point. Their continual loss of abilities is getting more and more pronounced. If they lose the ability to be notified of large trades, then the only ability they will have left is the overall, big-picture map of the food situation, and the ability to steal gold from regional tax offices. Still, a good banker with cooperative lords can do quite a bit to keep a realm fed. Toss in a few uncooperative lords, though, and it's tot he point where a banker is powerless. Not exactly what you'd expect of a council-level position.

I have advertized D'Hara's offers on these guilds various times. But not everyone is part of them, and I don't feel it bad for people to OOC know that there is a place where trading is taken completely differently.
I agree with Peri on this one. If you want to advertise and arrange food sales, and put feelers out for more business, do it in game, and not on the forums. If your network of IG contacts isn't big enough to reach everyone, then expend the effort /IG/ to expand it and reach the people you want. Posting the info on the forum, and expecting people to take that OOC knowledge IG and take IG action on it is a clear, if minor, breach of IC/OOC separation.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: June 09, 2011, 04:03:39 PM »
A Lord in one of Summerdale's northernmost regions, who never joined any guild is SUPPOSED not to know that D'Hara is such a trade haven, especially because you purposely not advertise your trade between council members to avoid intrusions. And if he, reading on the forum what we wrote, decides that is the moment to take a walk to Morek and join a couple of trading guild, you served a perfect ooc intrusion in the game without any effort. I don't like it.

About bankers, I would like to hear something from someone that plays a banker on testing, but as far as my tiny duchy is concerned, I have absolutely no clue how much food is available given that the majority of it is on his way somewhere and undetectable. day by day caravans reach the city and deposit food, but it's overall a system solely based on trust and nothing else. This can be nice, but if the banker loses a good network of information, he has nothing in his hands. Much like a General working in a realm without armies. He's useless.

edit: just to expand a bit my argument. I'm not saying bankers should have the chance to micromanage food and discover immediately whether a lord is smuggling food out of the realm or not. However, I believe they should have the informations and powers that would allow them to feed their own realm or gain money from the surplus by themselves in the case the realm agrees on that. As things stand now bankers would have a hard time oranizing the trade according to the surplus/deficit of food of their realm, since a huge portion of said food is travelling and invisible. Just as the General is the one supposed to organize armies and is the one to be blamed first if a realm performs poorly militarily, one expects the same thing for food and bankers. But if they don't have the tools for doing that, they are useless.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 04:16:52 PM by Peri »