Author Topic: Siege of Toren Stronghold  (Read 23929 times)

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Siege of Toren Stronghold
« Reply #30: May 10, 2015, 02:28:34 PM »
Nah, I didn't like it at all.

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: May 10, 2015, 03:03:25 PM »
Not their only character, but I would think you will find most people consider their War Island character to be the most enjoyable.

I don't know, for me I enjoy most of them quite a bit actually. But for others this might be true.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: May 10, 2015, 09:18:33 PM »
It depends, it's not like it's your only char. Curious to see though how many Taselakians will actually turn, or will they even die? I mean Taselak City hasn't fallen yet and won't go as easily as Toren Stronghold did of course.

If my character doesn't seem like a good fit for joining Sandalak (let alone Ikalak) then I'd probably delete him if he died and make a new one for the other realm. My other three characters are in Dwilight and Atamara, so very little exciting ever happens to them. Largely thanks to Dwilight's extremely long travel times and poor geographic design, and a lack of nobles.
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: May 16, 2015, 07:17:02 AM »
Kai, why do you have to be such a negative person? It was a good fight all around, in my opinion. From start to finish, both teams played excelently. I'm really honored to have been 'foes' of such an excellent group of people, and I'm really looking forward to the next map! Please add Toren back, this 2v1 thing has been so unfair.

Nah I'm referring to the ridiculous agreements which let realms survive when they should have died. It makes the whole WI a joke because the result is manipulated by some old players OOC. Even now, Taselak is being carved up OOC in order to ensure a "gud fite" between Sandalak and Ikalak.

Zakilevo

« Reply #34: May 16, 2015, 08:28:33 AM »
Kai is probably bitter that Taselak lost despite being so ahead initially.

It was really obvious though. If you take Toren Stronghold early, you will have a timer going for your realm. If you can't overwhelm your enemies quickly, you will lose period.

Taselak was pretty diplomatic at the beginning then once they solidified their grip on Toren Stronghold, they became arrogant and pretty much insulted both Sandalak and Ikalak constantly. They had many chances to win.

There was only one OoC agreement this whole time. Not killing off Ikalak right away when Sandalak sacked their capital. Sandalak pulled out right away because I felt bad about what happened in Ikalak. They had a really rough start when people were flaming each other oocly which caused their realm to fall apart rapidly.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: May 16, 2015, 09:14:03 AM »
Nah I'm referring to the ridiculous agreements which let realms survive when they should have died. It makes the whole WI a joke because the result is manipulated by some old players OOC. Even now, Taselak is being carved up OOC in order to ensure a "gud fite" between Sandalak and Ikalak.

There is no OOC agreement for a "Gus Fite". Even your limited grasp of logic would spot that without most of Taselak joinin Ikalak there won't be anything of a real contest between the two. There was and is a IC agreement to concentrate on Taselak first.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: May 16, 2015, 10:18:37 AM »
Nah I left Taselak cause the lords were neo capitalist libertarian gold hoarders who would use RP to deny the existence of game mechanics.

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: May 16, 2015, 02:52:49 PM »
Nah I left Taselak cause the lords were neo capitalist libertarian gold hoarders who would use RP to deny the existence of game mechanics.

By all means, do explain
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: May 16, 2015, 03:09:46 PM »
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: May 16, 2015, 04:03:08 PM »
Well, as long as there are more than two realms on the island, one is always going to get ganged up on by the others.

So I've wondered how the war would play out if there were only two realms instead of three. For instance, remove the city of Ikalak and replace it with a Toren-esque stronghold, or just remove it completely. Then you'd have Taselak and Sandalak, relatively close to each other's capitals, but with large swathes of useful land further north. You might end up with a more dynamic war too, compared to the typical "SEND ALL THE TROOPS TO THAT ONE PLACE!" battles. Fighting in the north and south would happen simultaneously.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: May 16, 2015, 06:32:55 PM »
Ikalak v Taselak might work like that, too.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

The Red Foliot

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: May 16, 2015, 07:51:24 PM »
Ikalak is in a weaker location than the other two realms, that's why it always loses (in BM as well as the War Island minigame).

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: May 16, 2015, 08:08:17 PM »
Ikalak is in a weaker location than the other two realms, that's why it always loses (in BM as well as the War Island minigame).

Unfortunately, in this particular incarnation of the War Island, Ikalak's situation cannot be attributed to anything but its own complete dysfunction in the early days of the island.

However, I strongly suspect you are correct in this assessment. I'd be very open to suggestions as to the minimal changes needed to remove this disadvantage of Ikalak's.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

The Red Foliot

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: May 16, 2015, 09:18:46 PM »
Their main weakness is that it takes them so long to move from one battle front to the other. If their army is in Neralle fighting Taselak, say, and they get attacked in Triewa by Sandalak, it would take them at least six turns to respond to Sandalak. It's the bane of a crescent-shaped empire.

You could alleviate this disadvantage to some extent by adding a sea route from Kail to Unagae, or thereabouts.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: May 16, 2015, 09:48:52 PM »
Their main weakness is that it takes them so long to move from one battle front to the other. If their army is in Neralle fighting Taselak, say, and they get attacked in Triewa by Sandalak, it would take them at least six turns to respond to Sandalak. It's the bane of a crescent-shaped empire.

You could alleviate this disadvantage to some extent by adding a sea route from Kail to Unagae, or thereabouts.

Don't the other two have essentially the same issue? How long does it take to get from Moeth to Seggelin?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan