Author Topic: Obscure features  (Read 2882 times)

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Obscure features
« Topic Start: May 12, 2015, 06:28:11 AM »
Region Lost to Corruption   (36 minutes ago)
message to all nobles of X
Local government officials in Y announced earlier today that according to ancient documents, A, a noble from Z, who happened to coincidentally be in the region at that time, holds an ancient and undisputable claim to lordship of Y.
They officially handed control of the region over to him and Z! Shortly afterwards, the responsible officials were nowhere to be found.

What kind of mechanic is that? How does that happen?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Obscure features
« Reply #1: May 12, 2015, 06:52:31 AM »
Purchase claim. If you have the gold (family gold I think) you can buy the region. I think there are other requirements regarding control levels but I forget.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 12, 2015, 06:59:06 AM »
You mean you can just buy a region from under a current lord will-nilly?
ow do you access that option and why does it exist? How is it fair?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 12, 2015, 07:35:24 AM »
You mean you can just buy a region from under a current lord will-nilly?
ow do you access that option and why does it exist? How is it fair?

Like I said, there are conditions required for the option to exists, though I don't recall the specifics. I believe region control needs to be pretty poor for the option to exist. In regards to why does it exist and how is it fair, I can't answer, but consider how often do you see it used? The only time I have seen it recently was by Luria against Morek, which as far as I know was only possible due to the size of Morek and its relative lack of nobles.

So no its not available "willy-nilly" or else you would see it used much more often given the glut of gold many people have. Very specific conditions need to be met, so when it is available it is generally the fault of the realm/region lord for not taking better care of the region.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 12, 2015, 07:35:54 AM »
I believe the region must be without a region lord.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 12, 2015, 02:44:17 PM »
In addition, buying regions at random usually ends it with it being quickly retaken. Meaning you just blew a few thousand gold for nothing. Also, it can fail, with you losing your gold (it gets delivered to the region's ruler), or even get yourself thrown in prison.

Also, it's not always about fair. BattleMaster isn't a meticulously balanced setpiece game. Some options are included to drive conflict, or perhaps help break stalemates.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 13, 2015, 12:53:17 PM »
To address some of the questions raised...
No, you cannot buy a region from an existing lord (unless he is seriously wounded). You can only buy lordless regions or regions with lords seriously wounded or captured. But captured removes lordship anyway...
You cannot buy a capital region or a region bordering a capital.
Militia will remain loyal to original realm and resist the new lords.
It's a minimum of 4k-5k family gold to even see option. Cost is variable upon region type , population, and loyalty/sympathies to original and bribing realms (and less so, other regional stats).
There is a risk of failure, stretching from losing some gold and escaping to losing more of your gold and being imprisoned, with option of being banished.
You cannot buy regions of your own realm.
You can set to either buy immediately or for it to resolve at turn. The turn option may be broken. The turn option, for sure, does not currently notify the realm of the briber/purchaser of the new region.
Regions join the duchy of the one who bought them, or failing that, the nearest duchy of the realm.

If anyone has any more specific questions on this or other unknown BM bits, I remain happy to answer.