Author Topic: Evil Realm  (Read 11595 times)

Zakilevo

Evil Realm
« Topic Start: May 13, 2015, 08:46:11 AM »
Anyone wants to create an evil realm?

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Realm
« Reply #1: May 13, 2015, 10:11:55 AM »
Aye!

I'm not into the whole evil wizardry thing though. What if we just pop a character each onto a continent with the express intent to cause mayhem? Each character goes about it in their own way, and the better the job they do the easier it will be to find each other and unite forces.

"Oh, I heard Sir Kepler looted his own capital! Maybe we could be friends?"

A minimum of support from some kind of establishment would be required though, and preferably free lands to colonize (so Dwilight? Or simply a low density realm that can be ... swayed to see the light)

Goal of the realm would be to hold a single region as capital, and raid/plunder for anything it needs. Surely at least one realm would like to ally such a band of misfits :D

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 13, 2015, 01:16:19 PM »
Goal of the realm would be to hold a single region as capital, and raid/plunder for anything it needs. Surely at least one realm would like to ally such a band of misfits :D

If such a thing is, in fact, possible, then it shouldn't be.

I think Lapallanch was among those interested in creating a much less stereotypical "evil" realm a couple of years ago—one that would attempt to be publicly polite and friendly, while actually committing all kinds of nasty acts.

That seems like a much more interesting kind of evil to me. Yours just sounds like playing chicken with the game.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 13, 2015, 02:02:17 PM »
Well obviously we wouldn't tell anyone else we're evil...  8)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 13, 2015, 02:50:47 PM »
A new path for Morek? I hear they are looking for a new ruler, and a new direction. ;)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Enstance

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 13, 2015, 03:51:53 PM »
I'd definitely like to be part of this.
If the evilness isn't advertised, though, I have a feeling that a lot of people won't even notice that we are, in fact, evil. Most realms claim that their enemies are evil incarnate and ignore the evil acts of whoever they're not currently warring.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 13, 2015, 03:59:48 PM »
I'd definitely like to be part of this.
If the evilness isn't advertised, though, I have a feeling that a lot of people won't even notice that we are, in fact, evil. Most realms claim that their enemies are evil incarnate and ignore the evil acts of whoever they're not currently warring.

That was actually part of the point: to see how evil we could actually try to be before people noticed.

But in order for that to work, you can't start out as a reaver realm. (Assuming that a reaver realm is even possible.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 13, 2015, 04:37:38 PM »
Evil is so relative. Both sides of any given war usually see the other as evil. Once you get blood feuds going, it can quickly escalate. All you need is a few "the ends justify the means" and "an eye for an eye" kind of people in the right places.

All forms of looting kill people. Takeovers are a form of oppression. Battles result in large numbers of dead and wounded.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 13, 2015, 04:45:19 PM »
All sufficiently advanced evilness is indistinguishable from success.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 13, 2015, 04:57:35 PM »
Evil is so relative. Both sides of any given war usually see the other as evil. Once you get blood feuds going, it can quickly escalate. All you need is a few "the ends justify the means" and "an eye for an eye" kind of people in the right places.

All forms of looting kill people. Takeovers are a form of oppression. Battles result in large numbers of dead and wounded.

But if the code of the realm is "the ends justify the means" and "an eye for an eye," along with "we will betray anyone so long as by doing so we put ourselves in a better position," that makes, I think, a material difference.

Especially that betrayal one. The key there, I think, would be to make sure that your betrayals don't just net you short-term gain, but put you in the good books of someone who's going to be relatively powerful on the continent when the war is over.
Timothy Collett

Zakilevo

« Reply #10: May 13, 2015, 07:28:21 PM »
I think Anaris and I talked about this concept a couple years ago for a few days.

Obviously being too obviously evil will get you killed very quickly as you can see the current game state loving to find any war you can get. Evil realms will most likely get ganged up on the moment they pretty much declare themselves evil.

If you want to last more than a couple months, you will have to be smart enough to survive long enough to become strong enough to commit evil and get away with it.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 13, 2015, 09:45:47 PM »
So basically the same as any succesful realm?

Some realms become stale simply because they exist too long. Wouldn't part of the fun be to see how far we can get on a (disposable) realm, only to relocate when we hit a wall? If we keep it fresh I'm sure we'll attract new players to join the caravan. Of course you can only relocate so many times, but it might be cool to see if we can reach critical mass.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: May 13, 2015, 09:54:32 PM »
I'm not sure how this would be too different from any overly ambitious realm. It is common practice for many realms to paint their enemy as evil. I'm not sure how what you're planning would be all that different. Or even different enough that anyone would notice.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: May 13, 2015, 09:59:09 PM »
I'm not sure how this would be too different from any overly ambitious realm. It is common practice for many realms to paint their enemy as evil. I'm not sure how what you're planning would be all that different. Or even different enough that anyone would notice.

I think the difference is primarily a matter of intention. Most people, I think, will be willing to betray an ally if they are put in a tough situation—under duress, as it were—but this realm would, essentially, be actively looking for ways to get ahead through betrayal.

And yes, as I said, part of the point would be to see if anyone noticed.
Timothy Collett

Zakilevo

« Reply #14: May 13, 2015, 10:00:40 PM »
There are few details I no longer remember. I mean it would be stupid to just outright go 'I WANT TO RAID YOU ALL AND RAPE BURN EVERYTHING' from the get go. Also, I am not really the one who wants to create this. I think it is the player of Hemmings who wants to create an evil realm. I opened this so he doesn't flood Sandalak's message board with ooc messages.

I am too focused on Sandalak to do anything at this point. If someone is willing to create one, I am probably gonna freeload ;)