Author Topic: The Ivory Vale  (Read 7174 times)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
The Ivory Vale
« Topic Start: May 13, 2015, 05:35:05 PM »
Many things are changing in the Vale, many things will change. I wanted to make myself available for any OOC discussions or explanations.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The Ivory Vale
« Reply #1: May 13, 2015, 05:39:23 PM »
What's changing and why it matters?

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #2: May 13, 2015, 06:00:48 PM »
Good questions. Recently, there was a very serious incident that ultimately resulted in the leveraging of an OOC ban on the realms former king (also it's only serving Duke named Trent) after the players of IVF agreed OOC to do so, accusing him of Game mechanics abuse. This player's actions literally split the realm, resulting in the now-empty state of Trenton, composed entirely of a duchy that seceded from the IVF. The Trent player controlled both Dukes, you see, and has since paused his characters.

The IVF is now the EMPIRE of IVF and it's newly elected ruler, Selenia, has vowed to retake the lost Duchy and destroy Trenton forever. With her rise, an entirely new set of laws are being put into place that will hopefully emphasize roleplay over everything else. The culture of IVF is being reborn into something new and different as a result.

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 13, 2015, 06:53:30 PM »
So the player created a new realm and pause both characters?

wow...
Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 13, 2015, 07:53:43 PM »
Recently, there was a very serious incident that ultimately resulted in the leveraging of an OOC ban on the realms former king after the players of IVF agreed OOC to do so
I'm really not sure how I feel about that.
If you suspect someone is cheating you have to report him. Trying to screw a guy OOC, you're just breaking the rules yourselves.
The IVF is now the EMPIRE of IVF
An empire of like six people? :D

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #5: May 14, 2015, 04:04:42 AM »
I'm really not sure how I feel about that.
If you suspect someone is cheating you have to report him. Trying to screw a guy OOC, you're just breaking the rules yourselves.An empire of like six people? :D

Ordinarily I would agree, but the player was literally just pressing every negative button he could reach. Once he lost his throne, he just stopped talking to everyone, and we tried engaging him with everything we could think of over a 2-3 week period. He did not respond to anything, just ran for every governement position he could, and when he lost, he had both of his characters protest everyone who won an office and, in such a tiny realm, it cost them their positions. Then he had his one duke split off while the other remained and protested everything. Not actually playing, mind you, because that would involve engaging the other players in the realm or at least offering a reason as to what he was protesting. In truth, it became so disruptive that he was asked to leave. When he wouldn't we took the only step we could to make it happen. Again, the OOC ban was supported unanimously. He paused all of his characters right after, again without so much as a word.

The entire process was frustrating, confusing, and pitiful. not something I care to ever repeat again.

And we may only have 6 people now, but just you wait! So here is the plan. Through a series of circumstances almost entirely not my fault, one of my advy-turned nobles may have deposed the reigning dynasty of the Ivory Vale and incidentally secured the loyalty of all the remaining nobles to support her candidacy to become the next Queen. The immediate problem with IVF is that it is a large realm with VERY few nobles sandwiched between larger realms with powerful armies that are, fortunately, allied.

My intention is to remake the realm into one of court intrigue, backroom politics, cutthroat alliances, and even outright murder for the purpose of increasing one's own power either through gaining the favor of the crown, or maneuvering the crown into an arm bar to FORCE that favor. Not unlike the political climate you see between the great nobles of Frank Herbert's universe or "The Great Game" Spoken of with reverence by nobles of the Empire of Orlais. Think about what the French Court must have been like under the Sun king, or the Japanese under Nobunaga.

I want to create a realm where a dinner party can have more far reaching consequences than a pitched battle, where infiltrators find ample employment and loose laws, and where energetic nobles engage in near-constant roleplay.

There's more too it, of course. Including things I plan to implement to really foster the culture. So far, everyone in the realm is fully appraised and fully onboard

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 14, 2015, 04:14:26 AM »
In truth, it became so disruptive that he was asked to leave. When he wouldn't we took the only step we could to make it happen.
Dude... Report button.
You could have saved yourself SO much trouble.
The immediate problem with IVF is that it is a large realm with VERY few nobles sandwiched between larger realms with powerful armies that are, fortunately, allied.

My intention is to remake the realm into one of court intrigue, backroom politics, cutthroat alliances, and even outright murder for the purpose of increasing one's own power
These two sentenses are kind of mutually exclusive, unfortunately. Not your fault, Riombara and IFV are just geographical predetermined to boredom.
Wish you guys best luck, of course.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #7: May 15, 2015, 04:16:56 PM »
So here's a better snapshot of what we are going for...

War, however, will not be the focus of the realm, being as far as it is from the Great Northern War currently raging, to say nothing of the relatively small size of its current player base. Therefore, the 'culture' of the realm will eschew war as a peasants' affair, barbaric, destructive, and dirty. Beneath the interests of 'true' noblemen. Subsequently, the General (Imperator) is the least powerful government position, but serves as the leader of the Imperial Throne's personal bodyguard. Banker (Tribune) is third and balanced and also serves as Speaker for the Imperial Senate; Judge (Praetor) is balanced be second most powerful, and is also declared next in line of succession should anything happen to the Empress, and Finally the Imperial Throne has the strongest power.

Among the Ivory nobility, status and appearance are set above all things: The wealth, population, morale, and loyalty of one's region is something to boast of. Along with one's personal honor, prestige, or particular skill ratings. I may even found a guild that is simply about building the grandest guildhous and RPing it as ones Palace or Mansion to be shown off against ones peers. There is also One's closeness to the Empress and being invited into her personal council, the Dawn Chamber, or the other great lords of the Vale, and so on. Vale culture will be renowned for its infighting, with every family engaging on some level in what’s known as the Grand Game. The Game's purpose is one-upmanship of rival aristocrats. In order to rise in the decadent Ivory society and among the Iovry upper class, much is permitted. The rule of the Game is simply this: all is accepted as long as the player is not caught, up to and including murder. Paradoxically, however, though direct culpability is undesirable, credit and recognition are demanded. Indeed, an individual known as a skilled player is granted discreet respect among his or her peers. Due to this tension the Game is a losing proposition for the uninitiated, and it is said that more blood is spilled in the Game than in any war in the Ivory Vale. To encourage this, Duels will not only be legal, but encouraged, and those who refuse a challenge from a nobleman of higher rank may fall out of favor and be banished from the Ivory Court (A realm-wide message group purely for the purpose of Roleplay) for a time.

I am hoping for a triangular power structure between the Empress, her Dukes, and the Imperial Senate. Suffices to say that all classes are welcome, A good infiltrator might thrive just as well as a renowned fighter or esteemed courtier.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #8: May 15, 2015, 06:15:53 PM »
Titan's have returned their conclusion

Nate Shupe/Trent Family   (just in)
Nate Shupe was banned from this game for life after multicheating multiple times in a row. When we were made aware that he had returned, and was making trouble once again, we made sure that his account was locked, and paused all his characters. We apologize for the delay in making this clear.

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 15, 2015, 07:20:30 PM »
So here's a better snapshot of what we are going for...

So not wanting to kill the culture forming of the realm, but how will this "war is for peasants" and infighting go with the rest of the island?

For what you are telling, it seems that you are building a really closed culture/GoT roleplay style that will ignore what else happens outside the realm. It does not seem something that will also have a certain synergy with the rest of the island.
Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #10: May 15, 2015, 07:52:13 PM »
So not wanting to kill the culture forming of the realm, but how will this "war is for peasants" and infighting go with the rest of the island?

For what you are telling, it seems that you are building a really closed culture/GoT roleplay style that will ignore what else happens outside the realm. It does not seem something that will also have a certain synergy with the rest of the island.

Good question. There are a couple facts of life that the Vale can't get around:
1) They won't be able to fight a war on their own ANY time soon
2) The won't be able to contribute to a war anytime soon
3) Their closest neighbors are also their parent realms/closest allies
4) The Nearest warfront is almost a week's march away
5) Too few nobles to interact meaningful beyond ruler discussions

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 16, 2015, 02:22:19 AM »
Titan's have returned their conclusion

When you described his behaviour I wondered if it was Nate. He tried his shenganagians in M&F recently as well but quit when I organised a coalition to destroy his holdings.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #12: May 16, 2015, 11:54:43 AM »
Titans did a good thing, just glad he's gone. Truly disgusting when that happens and I hate what it can do to the player base.

Thanks again.

kamandi

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: May 16, 2015, 07:08:05 PM »
Sure looks like my character is going to die from an infiltrator attack. Would have liked to have participated, but I got janked. Good Luck!

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: May 17, 2015, 01:49:18 AM »
You can't die from infiltrators on BT.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.