Author Topic: Trenton  (Read 18016 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Trenton
« Reply #15: May 27, 2015, 01:12:27 AM »
The problem is that the geography of Riombara means that one realm in that area will always eventually come out on top over any others and become Riombara shaped. So it's a self perpetuating problem.

That assumes that the realms as dedicated to reformation. As players we are capable of wars that don't result in creating large blobs of realms. Alluran and Riombara existed for a long time as separate realms, though we have lost some of the land that comprised Alluran. It is a matter of politics and objectives as much as it is a matter of geography.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: May 27, 2015, 01:26:24 AM »
It would be interesting if Riombara would break into 2 more realms.

With it's 6 cities it could easily do that.

The north now is a little more active, but it would be nice to have more realms there too.
Well, if Riombara split into two realms it would just make another politically stillborn entity that would only go to other people's wars in order to not die from boredom.
If the two realm swere two fight each other, no one would care and that would indeed soon just end in united Riombara again.
So no, it wouldn't really be interesting whatever you do to that peninsula. It's just badly designed unfortunately.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: May 27, 2015, 01:32:46 AM »
It's just badly designed unfortunately.

No, it's not designed at all. It's what's left over after the Blight consumed large portions of the continent after the last invasion.

Beluaterra's map used to be identical to Atamara's.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: May 27, 2015, 01:39:01 AM »
No, it's not designed at all. It's what's left over after the Blight consumed large portions of the continent after the last invasion.

Beluaterra's map used to be identical to Atamara's.

Indeed, Alluran was one of the first realms to feel the brunt of the invasion, and as a relatively small realm we were overrun quickly. Many of us travelled to Riombara where we were able to assist in holding the line against the Monsters until such time as an effective weapon against them was revealed, but still the damage was done. The South back then was vibrant, Alluran was one of the most fun realms I have played in, and a large part of that was the extremely active politics between Enweil, Alluran, Riombara and Irombrozia

The Red Foliot

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: May 27, 2015, 02:24:34 AM »
It's the law of preferential attraction, or the rich get richer. In the case of Battlemaster, realms that get big become more powerful, allowing them to get even bigger, and so on. In the beginning, when every realm is small, multiple small realms could exist on that peninsula. But sooner or later one realm among them would begin to snowball and gobble the others up. Sooner or later there wouldn't be any realms to challenge it, it would just be one big realm isolated from the rest of the continent.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: May 27, 2015, 02:43:22 AM »
It's the law of preferential attraction, or the rich get richer. In the case of Battlemaster, realms that get big become more powerful, allowing them to get even bigger, and so on. In the beginning, when every realm is small, multiple small realms could exist on that peninsula. But sooner or later one realm among them would begin to snowball and gobble the others up. Sooner or later there wouldn't be any realms to challenge it, it would just be one big realm isolated from the rest of the continent.

Rio is large, has plenty of gold yet can not even attract enough nobles to have a Lord for every region they control. They are ripe for someone else to actually challenge them. People need to stop simplifying human/player behaviour into one absolute. It takes but 5 minutes of looking across the continents to see that such things are simply not true.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: May 27, 2015, 02:45:18 AM »
I was wondering why my General Trent suddenly paused, so this is why. A realm created on Belu and caused some issues at the beginning :o

What happened till this realm is created by the way?
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

The Red Foliot

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: May 27, 2015, 03:30:01 AM »
Rio is large, has plenty of gold yet can not even attract enough nobles to have a Lord for every region they control. They are ripe for someone else to actually challenge them. People need to stop simplifying human/player behaviour into one absolute. It takes but 5 minutes of looking across the continents to see that such things are simply not true.

Looking across the continents you see a steady trend of small realms coalescing into larger ones over time.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: May 27, 2015, 04:03:26 AM »
To bring the thread back onto topic, Raziella was protested out and recently-protested nobles can't run for office. However, she controls the only vote for ruler at the moment and is highly unlikely to vote for any current members. So, if any characters with at least 10 prestige make it to Trenton in the next 3 turns, they may find themselves a ruler. Even more likely if that player has never played a ruler before. And of course, other council positions and lordships remain for any risk-taking, quick-acting nobles.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: May 27, 2015, 04:15:49 AM »
That sounds like an attempt to screw your realm-mates using OOC means.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: May 27, 2015, 04:35:25 AM »
Looking across the continents you see a steady trend of small realms coalescing into larger ones over time.

FEI started as two realms, how is that working out for them? If you look at the timeline proper you will see super realms form, then fall apart to be replaced by several small realms to start the cycle again. The problem is assuming that large realms never fall apart. History shows that it can and does happen.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: May 27, 2015, 04:53:28 AM »
I appreciate your informed comment about what is actually happening in the realm based purely off an OOC announcement/update in the Locals thread intended for that very purpose.

If you think I did something wrong, file a titan report. I assure you that every member of the realm joined the realm from a foreign realm specifically to influence the realm to their realm. My character is fighting for the realm's survival while the other three characters (two of the same player) are effectively pushing the realm into anarchy and trying to merge it into another realm. The result of that merger being back to the same old realm geographies. My character is also trying to break out of the dichotomous war for a third way, while again, the other three characters/two players are pushing for the same old. And I'm specifically trying to focus on giving power to players who haven't held those roles before. So which realmmates are being screwed here?

Nor is this remotely the first time in BM history an OOC announcement has been made advertising the fact that nobles are needed to fill desirable positions. And though I didn't mention it specifically, I have sent out many IC letters well before this OOC notice. I just believe in not having all eggs in one basket and all and letting more players know of the opportunity.

Note: While I sounded quite down about IVF above, that was not my intent/focus. I do endorse the roleplay project JeVondair is attempting in IVF. I just also firmly believe a realm's enjoyment is best found in wars with quicker refits, not solely roleplay.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: May 27, 2015, 12:10:36 PM »
I appreciate your informed comment about what is actually happening in the realm based purely off an OOC announcement/update in the Locals thread intended for that very purpose.
What I saw was an attempt to heavily influence your realm's politics via OOC means. You can go passive aggressive all you want but it is bad practice no matter the context.
So which realmmates are being screwed here?
Those who were pursuing their goals via legit in-game schemes.
And though I didn't mention it specifically, I have sent out many IC letters well before this OOC notice.
I am sorry to sound judgemental, but perhaps you should have confined with IC letters.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: May 27, 2015, 01:26:49 PM »
To bring the thread back onto topic, Raziella was protested out and recently-protested nobles can't run for office. However, she controls the only vote for ruler at the moment and is highly unlikely to vote for any current members. So, if any characters with at least 10 prestige make it to Trenton in the next 3 turns, they may find themselves a ruler. Even more likely if that player has never played a ruler before. And of course, other council positions and lordships remain for any risk-taking, quick-acting nobles.
Only nobles within the realm at the time the election announcement was made can run or vote in an election.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: May 27, 2015, 02:17:50 PM »
FEI started as two realms, how is that working out for them?

While technically true, this is highly misleading. The breakup of Arcaea and the Svunnetland Empire was planned on the RP list long before the continent actually opened.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan