Author Topic: Phoenix Talk, with Jenred Kindon-Bedwyr or Matthew, as you choose  (Read 27548 times)

Calanar

• Knight
  • Harbinger
    • View Profile
*Quietly reads, finding it all interesting*

How's it going? Haven't dealt with Jenred in a while or been on IRC.
"The first requisite for success is to develop the ability to focus and apply your mental and physical energies to the problem at hand [...]" - Thomas Edison

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Bedwyr,

Have you thought about a structure similar to a Japanese Council of Reagents, where acting out of step might lead to being cannibalized by your peers?  It was much safer to be king of a small piece of the world, in other words.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Bedwyr,

Have you thought about a structure similar to a Japanese Council of Reagents, where acting out of step might lead to being cannibalized by your peers?  It was much safer to be king of a small piece of the world, in other words.

Council of Reagents, huh?  Well, they'd better have good chemistry, or it'll never work out.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
*Quietly reads, finding it all interesting*

How's it going? Haven't dealt with Jenred in a while or been on IRC.

Both of us are doing well, been more focused on Arcachon/Aenilia as you might imagine.  Arcaea's not going to be able to project more south than Aenilia for a good while anyway, and Jenred's not exactly known for being a mediator type.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Bedwyr,

I'm not familiar with the concept, you'll have to explain it to me later.  And since Tim already covered the chemistry joke, I'll let it slide (grins).
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Council of Reagents, huh?  Well, they'd better have good chemistry, or it'll never work out.

All my good jokes are stolen by my predecessors!
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
I'll be eager to see how the Empire continues when the emperor becomes particularly unpopular. If Jenred manages to instill a precedent that its better inside than out, then we can have a fair few powerful people more interested in keeping the system for their own benefit. The political dynamics should be interesting for the knights as well if we sort out the odd dispute by a few raids here, a war there...

Now two proper questions: First, do you think the opinion of the Emperor and the other rulers would forcefully overrule another realm if they felt it was dangerous to the empire was a whole?

Second, when you talk about how external wars would be thought, do you mean to say you'd rather everyone do their own thing or do you think that the rest of the Empire will usually (say with a smaller realm of the Empire declaring war on a larger external foe) to avoid being weakened as a whole?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 02:09:04 PM by Haerthorne »
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Now two proper questions: First, do you think the opinion of the Emperor and the other rulers would forcefully overrule another realm if they felt it was dangerous to the empire was a whole?

Depends on how dangerous, but yes, I would think the Emperor could and would.

Second, when you talk about how external wars would be thought, do you mean to say you'd rather everyone do their own thing or do you think that the rest of the Empire will usually (say with a smaller realm of the Empire declaring war on a larger external foe) to avoid being weakened as a whole?

Individual.  If a tiny realm of the Empire starts a fight it can't win, then it'll lose.  Jenred's not interested in saving idiots from themselves.

Igelfeld

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
But isn't Jenred interested in expanding his Empire?
Moritz Von Igelfeld - King of Asylon
Moria Von Igelfeld - Viscountess of Lanston
Ulrich Von Igelfeld - Knight of Remton, Dark Isle Colonist

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
But isn't Jenred interested in expanding his Empire?

Indeed he is.  But he's firmly of the opinion that, say, thirty regions under leadership that is all competent is better than thirty five with incompetent leaders.  It also makes good political sense, as the rest of the island will be far less likely to unite against the empire if they see that it only unites for good reasons and not just to save parts of itself.  Now, given that this is Jenred we're talking about (who is by far the most insane character I've ever roleplayed in or out of Battlemaster) "good" reasons may be a little flexible, but the Far East seems to have accepted that about him.  Not even the Zonasans really protested when he marched an army down to sack half their realm over Erandi's (quite mild) insult to Edara.

From the Monarch level...Why would you want to help one of your rivals for rank keep power against you unless the emperor made an issue of it?  Sure, there may be the usual politics and alliances, but everyone has to contend with those so that's not an empire-specific problem.

And even more importantly, from an OOC standpoint, that's just not fun.  I'm somewhat skeptical about how often people claim gangbangs happen for no reason (as I've seen just how many times those protesting thought that insulting every other Ruler and pissing on their religion didn't justify the gangbang) but I'm fully aware that the phenomenon does happen, and want to prevent it as much as possible.  Hence why I really like the challenge system.  Bringing legitimate, guaranteed, almost whenever you want one-on-one wars with both sides barred from accepting any outside help and a set time limit so the war doesn't get old and boring?  That's one of my dreams come true, and I think that holds for a lot of other people too.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Out of curiosity, what will be done with all the gold that goes to the Imperial Throne? You're talking about hundreds, perhaps thousands if the empire gets big enough, of gold each week. Loans to less-well off members of the empire? Tournaments?

And will the Imperial Throne have its own council? It's own judge, banker, general? Those positions would have to be RPed, I guess, given the Imperial Throne won't be its own separate realm...unless of course the Emperor took a single city for himself, seceded it and used that as the Imperial Seat.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Out of curiosity, what will be done with all the gold that goes to the Imperial Throne? You're talking about hundreds, perhaps thousands if the empire gets big enough, of gold each week. Loans to less-well off members of the empire? Tournaments?

Infrastructure funding for badly hit areas, diplomacy, bribery (but I repeat myself), patronizing the arts, tournaments...The phrase in the Charter is going to be something along the lines of "for the good of the empire".

And will the Imperial Throne have its own council? It's own judge, banker, general? Those positions would have to be RPed, I guess, given the Imperial Throne won't be its own separate realm...unless of course the Emperor took a single city for himself, seceded it and used that as the Imperial Seat.

I don't think an imperial council will be necessary, and having a separate realm for the imperial seat would not mesh with the rest of the plans for how the emperor would be selected.

Nerukou

• Knight
    • View Profile
You forgot the fund that pays for the company of scantily-clad women with large bosoms.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
You forgot the fund that pays for the company of scantily-clad women with large bosoms.

(grins) Not in Jenred's court.  Obsessed with his wife, remember?  I imagine future High Kings might have something of that nature, of course...

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
(grins) Not in Jenred's court.  Obsessed with his wife, remember?  I imagine future High Kings might have something of that nature, of course...

They aren't for the King, they are for all the courtiers. I mean otherwise our attention will naturally be drawn to the only buxom Lady in the court, and nobody wants to see the consequences of that.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.