Author Topic: What is and what should be SMA?  (Read 24178 times)

Gustav Kuriga

Re: What is and what should be SMA?
« Reply #45: June 17, 2011, 06:40:32 PM »
I'm part of SA, and I'm all for MP. I too believe that it is the atmosphere and not making incredibly strict rules about what is and isn't allowed.

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: June 18, 2011, 07:38:46 AM »
Just a side note, I'm kinda careful about the thought that "people believed X".  We know people were highly religious, but BM doesn't deal well with minutea and cultish attitudes, because (shock) not run by millions of people in an aggregational fashion.

Yes, the metaphysics in SA are a little wierd, but we don't have hundreds of philosophers refining it over a millenia to make it seem logical or having to adopt it to local tastes.  For me the big thing is that it isn't all "You go your way and I'll go mine."  Cultural relativism, or even the idea that foreign religions might have something worthwhile to say is a new concept.

SA is the most german-medieval of the current religions around, IMHO.  I just don't particularly enjoy playing within it's sandbox, probably because I really enjoy playing the villian.

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: June 18, 2011, 01:15:24 PM »
I don't think playing a villain and being a part of SA are mutually exclusive. Not to say SA is inherently evil in any way, just that such a dominating religion is bound to have bad apples and power mongerers
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: June 18, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
I'm not very much affiliated with SA (I know little of the religion itself although I am part of it), but I do have the feeling that most people that are complaining about it, find themselves on the opposite side of SA. I think it's time to accept that one religion will attempt to dominate a continent (for now). I even applaud it. It's ambitious and it enables enough reasons to go to war for the next two years (at least).

I just hope that when the north has been completely SA'd (actually, it already has), there will be a change that will allow those realms to fight a war closer to their home. No crusades all the way down south.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: June 18, 2011, 03:33:41 PM »
I'm not very much affiliated with SA (I know little of the religion itself although I am part of it), but I do have the feeling that most people that are complaining about it, find themselves on the opposite side of SA. I think it's time to accept that one religion will attempt to dominate a continent (for now). I even applaud it. It's ambitious and it enables enough reasons to go to war for the next two years (at least).

I just hope that when the north has been completely SA'd (actually, it already has), there will be a change that will allow those realms to fight a war closer to their home. No crusades all the way down south.

I would love to see some crusades!  8)
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: June 18, 2011, 05:06:10 PM »

Honestly, if I had it to do again, my character in Terran would be an Astroist, not a Triunist. And if he had been an Astroist.... dunno how things would be different. Southern politics might not have developed so robustly, the Terran-D'Hara connection might be weaker, Barca might not exist. But its also possible the north would be better developed, and Terran armies might be looting southern Caerwyn right now.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: June 18, 2011, 07:15:37 PM »
Have him convert Vellos. That'd make for some verrry interesting rp
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: June 18, 2011, 08:32:43 PM »
I've thought about it, but it just wouldn't work for how I've RPed Hireshmont.

But don't think I haven't started planning my next Dwilight character.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: June 18, 2011, 08:43:29 PM »
Asylon has chosen to an Israel type of entity in Dwilight, a small nation with a difficult strategic placement surrounded by larger nations. We have chosen to start creating new religions and allowing the fostering of new religions so that even if our realm does not survive our culture will still flow outward from the concept of Asylon. We SA/VE/CB and soon a few others we will forever alter the southlands and offer more diversity and potential for conflict.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: June 18, 2011, 10:24:24 PM »
Actually, as much as it is kinda contrived, I like what Asylon is doing. Between Terran's guild-obsession and Asylon's religious weirdness, Mesoccidens could really start to be a fun place eventually, kind of like Maroccidens is now.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: June 18, 2011, 10:33:46 PM »
Possibly contrived, but perhaps not. Throw in a difficult strategic situation and south of Asylon is the Zuma, perhaps the Asylonian peoples became more spiritually inclined. Also our nations foundation and subsequent revolt were made out to be religious matters. Perhaps to insure survival and to fight against irrelevance the Asylonians decided that the one way their nation would survives themselves and being absorbed by larger nations was to pray more to whatever gods they made up to make a sense of security.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: June 19, 2011, 02:52:45 AM »
It's obvious that you haven't been in SA for *too* long. When we don't have heathens to fight, we have plenty of fun beating each other up.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: June 19, 2011, 08:20:44 AM »
the whole SA hegemony is rather strange and overblown... I have an idea, the only actual way to beat SA is form a realm that is staunchly Astroist and then attack other SA realms for not being Astroist enough, then take over the church, install your own prophet, there I just figured out how to beat SA.  8)

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: June 19, 2011, 07:49:22 PM »
Not really. You just put SA in the hands of even more dangerous fanatics :P

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: June 19, 2011, 08:23:19 PM »
Actually, as much as it is kinda contrived, I like what Asylon is doing. Between Terran's guild-obsession and Asylon's religious weirdness, Mesoccidens could really start to be a fun place eventually, kind of like Maroccidens is now.

And D'Hara's food obsession?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron