Author Topic: Heroes of Westhaven  (Read 128516 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Heroes of Westhaven
« Reply #75: June 06, 2015, 11:29:21 AM »
I think I'll add one or two very simple quests for the low levels where heroes can get gold.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #76: June 06, 2015, 11:49:44 AM »
My code allows for very rapid implementation of new quests. 20 minutes and I had a simple quest for the Northmen to get some gold:

The party arrives at Smallriver, a community of maybe 60 souls that is being plagued by a group of goblins from the nearby swamp. They offer the heroes a small payment for taking care of the greenskin.

Firstly, the characters need to find the creatures, and so they walk into the swamp and look for clues, paths or anything else that will help them.

The signs are, in fact, so obvious that only an idiot could miss them. The group proceeds through the swamp.
Halfway through the swamp, they are suddenly ambushed by three green goblins. Very small. They must be crazy attacking people twice times their size.

The fight is short and brutal and not very heroic. At the end, three goblins lie dead in the swamp.
The party takes a total of 5 points of damage, in marching order.
Sven Svenson takes 2 points of damage but his armour of 2 points prevents serious damage.
Kugar Bear Shaman takes 2 points of damage but his armour of 2 points prevents serious damage.
Small Willi takes 1 points of damage but his armour of 3 points prevents serious damage.
Finally, they reach the lair of the goblins. There are half a dozen huts and a chieftain.
With a display of strength, they convince the goblins to move elsewhere and leave the people here in peace.
With the goblins gone, the heroes collect their reward in Smallriver and return to the town.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #77: June 06, 2015, 11:55:42 AM »
IDNameGoldcurrent Questcurrent Shop
Northmen
The Town Graveyard The De-Legro Family Emporium
Elven Rangers
Rats in the Basement The De-Legro Family Emporium
Reformed Bandits
Finding a Thief Zakky's Best Gear Shop
Mighty Heroes
Finding a Thief Penchant's Emporium of Battle and More
The northmen are crazy. The Graveyard is a very tough quest. Good luck equipping them, De Legro

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #78: June 06, 2015, 12:34:29 PM »
Shop ID#2 selling to Eleven Rangers ID 4.

C#14
   I#14 - 11 gold
   I#9   - 22 gold
C#15
   I#14 - 11 gold
   I#1   - 6   gold
C#16
   I#14 - 11 gold
   I#1   - 6   gold 
C#17
   I#3   - 11 gold

Shop ID#2 selling to party ID 3

C#9
  I#17 - 20 gold
C#10
  I#17 - 20 gold
  I#6 - 5 gold
C#11
  I#9 - 15 gold
C#12
  I#9 - 15 gold
C#13
  I#3  - 10 gold

Sold things at a loss to the Northmen, hoping to give them some sort of chance to complete their quest.

Occurs to me I have run out of some items as well, so best I order some things

Purchase
5 x I#14
1 x I#25
1 x I#31
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: June 06, 2015, 03:37:27 PM »
Looking at http://shopkeeper.lemuria.org/api/parties/2
They appear to have three separate loyalty levels for my shop?
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #80: June 06, 2015, 10:15:13 PM »
Shop ID#2 selling to Eleven Rangers ID 4.

Sold leather armour to Ethelion for 11 gold
Sold sword to Ethelion for 22 gold
Sold leather armour to Gwinlifin for 11 gold
Sold club to Gwinlifin for 6 gold
Sold leather armour to Sonalthuan for 11 gold
Sold club to Sonalthuan for 6 gold
Sold staff to Arlon Thi Lefhlan for 11 gold

Shop ID#2 selling to party ID 3

Sold scale armour to Sven Svenson for 20 gold
Sold scale armour to Kugar Bear Shaman for 20 gold
Could not sell axe to Kugar Bear Shaman. Reason: wrongclass
Sold sword to Bjorn the Quick for 15 gold
Sold sword to Small Willi for 15 gold
Sold staff to Ortel Brim Turok for 10 gold

Occurs to me I have run out of some items as well, so best I order some things

Bought 5 leather armour for 10 gold
Bought 1 Ring of Nimbleness for 150 gold
Bought 1 Book of Wisdom for 140 gold

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #81: June 06, 2015, 10:15:34 PM »
Looking at http://shopkeeper.lemuria.org/api/parties/2
They appear to have three separate loyalty levels for my shop?

Yes, seems to be a bug.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #82: June 06, 2015, 10:42:21 PM »
Mighty Heroes:

The owner of a trade post near the market place has been quietly looking for a group of foreigners who can help him with a delicate problem. As he explains, he used to own a few crates of interesting and not strictly speaking illegal goods. Grey market material. Not outright illegal, but not exactly what you would openly display in your store. Anyway, a few nights ago it was stolen. He saw the thief when he made his escape with the final crate, and can give a few details, but he needs someone to do the legwork, find the guy and get him to talk. He is mostly afraid of losing his wares, so he wants him alive, and the goods found.
The characters begin to question the locals, leaving a coin in this beggars cup and that, talking to the whores and barkeepers in the area.  At first, only a few hints appear.
Finally, they get a solid lead and follow it.
As they follow their leads, their way takes them into a series of dangerous back alleys.
With insight and smarts, they pick the right way, avoiding the worst dangers of this low neighbourhood, except for a few unavoidable thugs.
The party takes a total of 5 points of damage, in marching order.
Franziskus takes 3 points of damage but his armour of 3 points prevents serious damage.
Timothy takes 2 points of damage but his armour of 3 points prevents serious damage.
The characters begin to question the locals, leaving a coin in this beggars cup and that, talking to the whores and barkeepers in the area.  At first, only a few hints appear.
Finally, they get a solid lead and follow it.
As they enter the hideout of the thief, they are suddenly surrounded by what are probably his friends, with clubs and knives in their hands. Clearly, these brutes have a dislike of the party and after a short and unfriendly argument, weapons are drawn and combat begins.
Clearly superior, the group beats the thugs bloody and forces them into retreat.
The party takes a total of 10 points of damage, in marching order.
Franziskus takes 5 points of damage, minus 3 points of armour, losing 2 hitpoints.
Chuck takes 5 points of damage, minus 2 points of armour, losing 3 hitpoints.
After a long search, the party finally nears the room where the thief is hiding, and breaks the weak bolt on the door. The guy jumps up from his bed, but too late. The heroes enter the room and surround him, and begin to threaten him, so that he reveals where the stolen goods are hidden.
Afraid for his life, he tells them everything they need to know. They check the hideout and find several chests, as the merchant described them. Then they drag the thief to the merchant and collect their just reward.
And so they returned the stolen goods and collected their reward.

Quest Completed, party now has 160 gold available for shopping.
   Attributes that we would like to improve:
    * charm (2)
    * wisdom (1)
    * damage (0.1)
    * armour (1)
    * strength (2)

Also, they levelled up!

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #83: June 06, 2015, 10:45:08 PM »
Northmen:

The priest of the local temple of death is worried about his graveyard. There are strange noises and sounds on some nights, and the locals have begun to say that the dead are walking there. Recently, a young girl disappeared in the area.
The heroes begin their quest by asking around and checking for rumours or if anyone has actually seen anything.
They find quite a lof about the history of the town and the graveyard, helping them to prepare.
Armed with valuable information, they decide to investigate for themselves, and prepare for a nightly stay at the cemetary. Entering the graveyard, everything seems perfectly normal except for the fact that it is a dark night and among graves is the last place any sane person wants to be. But they calm their fears and look around. After quite some time, they suddenly come upon a grave that seems oddly disturbed, but before they can examine it, two skeletons jump at them with a shovel and an axe.
In terror, the heroes fight for their sheer lives, not believing what they see. But with combined efforts they defeat the creatures, smashing them into individual bones.
The party takes a total of 8 points of damage, in marching order.
Sven Svenson takes 3 points of damage but his armour of 4 points prevents serious damage.
Kugar Bear Shaman takes 3 points of damage but his armour of 4 points prevents serious damage.
Small Willi takes 2 points of damage but his armour of 3 points prevents serious damage.
Looking around for a clue about where the undead might come from, they discover a crypt with doors ajar. They enter.
Beyond the door, suddenly they stop, and then quickly jump out of the way as a big tree trunk comes crashing down. A trap!
They proceed deeper into the crypt, lighting torches and checking carefully every corner and every coffin. Not long after, they reach a small hall, and almost as expected, face a skeleton warrior with sword and armour, who immediately attacks.
In the darkness, the undead quickly pushes them apart and then smashes his blade into their bodies one at a time.
The party takes a total of 20 points of damage, in marching order.
Sven Svenson takes 5 points of damage, minus 4 points of armour, losing 1 hitpoints.
Kugar Bear Shaman takes 5 points of damage, minus 4 points of armour, losing 1 hitpoints.
Small Willi takes 6 points of damage, minus 3 points of armour, losing 3 hitpoints.
Bjorn the Quick takes 4 points of damage, minus 2 points of armour, losing 2 hitpoints.
And so they flee the graveyard, swearing to never again mess with the undead or anything related to them.

Quest Completed, party now has 60 gold available for shopping.
    * wisdom (0.1)
    * damage (7)
    * dexterity (1)
    * armour (1.4)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #84: June 06, 2015, 10:54:49 PM »
Elven Rangers:

The party arrives at the Three Headed Horse tavern and is greeted by Joe and his wife. They explain that there are really big rats down in the cellar, but they cannot afford to leave it like that, it's where they store their food and barrels of ale and wine. The heroes agree to help them out for a small sum, and enter the dark and dusty basement.
Around one corner, the party meets a pack of hungry, aggressive rats. After a moment of hesitation on both sides, the rats swarm the group and attack.
There is a short battle with biting and scratching rats, but with their combined efforts, the party defeats the rats and continues.
The party takes a total of 6 points of damage, in marching order.
Ethelion takes 2 points of damage but his armour of 3 points prevents serious damage.
Gwinlifin takes 3 points of damage but his armour of 3 points prevents serious damage.
Sonalthuan takes 1 points of damage but his armour of 1 points prevents serious damage.
As they turn into a dead end, they suddenly spot the giant rat, the size of a dog. Red eyes glow in the darkness and yellow teeth shine in the light of torches as the creature approaches, growling.
Drawing their weapons, the group prepares for combat and is immediately attacked. Blows are struck and bites pierce armour and the battle rages for some time. Finally, the monster prevails, too strong and too big for the heroes.
The party takes a total of 20 points of damage, in marching order.
Ethelion takes 7 points of damage, minus 3 points of armour, losing 4 hitpoints.
Gwinlifin takes 9 points of damage, minus 3 points of armour, losing 6 hitpoints.
Sonalthuan takes 4 points of damage, minus 1 points of armour, losing 3 hitpoints.
And so they retreat, defeated by a simple basement and its furry inhabitants. A shame to all adventurers, they crawl back into the tavern and then the street, where they collapse into a puddle of water from last nights rain.

Quest Completed, party now has 32 gold available for shopping.
    * damage (7)
    * armour (2.6)

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85: June 06, 2015, 11:25:41 PM »
Shop 4 selling to Northmen
2 to 10 for 22
14 to 12 for 12
32 to 9, 11, 12, 13 for 11 each

Buy a shop sign and library

WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #86: June 06, 2015, 11:53:26 PM »
Sold +1 club to Kugar Bear Shaman for 22 gold
Sold leather armour to Small Willi for 12 gold
Sold Healing Potion to Sven Svenson for 11 gold
Sold Healing Potion to Bjorn the Quick for 11 gold
Could not sell Healing Potion to Small Willi. Reason: no_gold

Bought section shop sign for 100 gold
Bought section library for 300 gold

Zakilevo

« Reply #87: June 07, 2015, 01:54:18 AM »
I will be for next 5 more hours. Once I come back, I will put my sell and buy offers. But don't have time right now :(

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #88: June 07, 2015, 09:21:21 AM »
That's fine, I can always add more parties. :-)

Though it would be nice to finish all quests, because I've rebalanced some quests and need the "current quest" record to be empty to update them.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 09:38:59 AM by Tom »

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #89: June 07, 2015, 10:36:30 AM »
Northmen continue their streak of failures:

The characters have been hired by peasants from a nearby village, who say that the wolves in their area have become so aggressive, they are afraid of going into the forest, even during the day. At night, everyone stays at home and locks all doors and windows, because the wolves are even entering the village. They cannot offer much in pay, but it would be a good deed and wolf fur can be sold good as well.
The forest itself is the first challenge, drenching the characters with a sudden rain and then chilling wind, while the long march if heavy on their endurance.
But they are used to a hard life and pull through.
The party continues to search the forest, and suddenly finds itself surrounded! The forest is home to some bandits who must have their hideout nearby, because they immediately attack and announce loudly that they intend to enslave and torture their victims.
The fight is hard and long, but the characters are defeated and broken.
The party takes a total of 15 points of damage, in marching order.
Sven Svenson takes 3 points of damage but his armour of 4 points prevents serious damage.
Kugar Bear Shaman takes 5 points of damage, minus 4 points of armour, losing 1 hitpoints.
Small Willi takes 5 points of damage, minus 4 points of armour, losing 1 hitpoints.
Bjorn the Quick takes 2 points of damage but his armour of 2 points prevents serious damage.
They flee the forest and hang their heads in shame, returning to the town.

The behind-the-scenes to illustrate my new recovery code:

Hero group Northmen runs quest wolves
Hero group Northmen tries challenge forest
...requires toughness of at least 24 (scaled from 18)
...they have 24 plus 0 from items
...success
...they gain 0 gold, and each living character gains 50 xp.
Hero group Northmen tries challenge bandits
...requires damage of at least 41 (scaled from 30)
...they have 16 plus 11 from items
...using magic - they have 10
...failure
...applying 15 damage in march order:
......Sven Svenson suffers no damage (3 damage, 2 armour + 2 from items => 0)
......Kugar Bear Shaman takes 5 damage, 2 armour + 2 from items => 1
......Small Willi takes 5 damage, 1 armour + 3 from items => 1
......Bjorn the Quick suffers no damage (2 damage, 1 armour + 1 from items => 0)
Quest Failed

Character Sven Svenson rests...
Character Kugar Bear Shaman rests...
Kugar Bear Shaman lost 1 magic can recover up to 1.
Kugar Bear Shaman lost 1 hitpoints can recover up to 15.
Character Bjorn the Quick rests...
Character Small Willi rests...
Small Willi lost 1 hitpoints can recover up to 10.
Character Ortel Brim Turok rests...
Ortel Brim Turok lost 9 magic can recover up to 9.

in this case, they could recover everything, but some losses will take several quests to recover from. This replaces the old "everything refreshes at start of quest" code that I had.