Author Topic: Suggestions for Items, Quests, etc.  (Read 31704 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Suggestions for Items, Quests, etc.
« Reply #15: June 08, 2015, 06:33:34 PM »
I will add tablesorter probably. What you see right now is not really meant to be used, it's just a quick hack to show the data while there is no actual game client.

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: June 09, 2015, 12:24:24 PM »
Table sorter very useful, thanks.

With orders, could there be a small chance of early/late delivery? (As my sofa is finally due to be delivered tomorrow... 3 and a half weeks later than originally scheduled! Grrr...)

It's difficult to know what to ask for as some things that might make it easier to test at the moment might need a fair bit of coding that wouldn't then translate to final game...

I need to work out the proper wording for something I think would be useful... Hopefully get that later.
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

Crayne

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: June 09, 2015, 01:37:50 PM »
  • I'm assuming right now there's no morality construct in place in the game. Perhaps parties could attempt to steal items if they're low on funds and desperate enough (i.e. their need is high enough?), and they're of sufficiently questionable morals?
  • And leading on from that, maybe it's interesting to give players the option of banning certain parties from their shop?
  • Will parties be selling loot they get from quests, and if so, is it an idea for shops to set what they would and would not buy from parties?
  • Perhaps shops can start fabricating their own items by adding sections like "smithy", "armourer's workshop" etc? This would of course necessitate some sort of source of resources

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 01:40:46 PM by Crayne »

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #18: June 09, 2015, 02:10:07 PM »
I don't want item fabrication of any kind, the game is strictly a trading game.

I like the idea of selling back. This ties in with the equipment-replacement concept. It could work to make something like "I sell x to y for z gold, and a trade-in of his item a".

Crayne

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: June 09, 2015, 02:14:46 PM »
Fair enough on the fabrication, knowing your core business is actually pretty damn important for any game.

Trade-ins would of course also lead to quality levels for items, but that would only deepen the subtle complexities of gameplay. After all, that might open up the way for second-hand shops like "Crazy Knutt's House of Slightly-Used Swords". ;)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #20: June 09, 2015, 02:25:39 PM »
I'm not sure I want to track item quality. Most pen&paper roleplaying games do not. I'm also not sure if the trade-in item should appear in your inventory or not. Maybe just discard it for half value as a simulation for selling it to one of those 2nd hand item shops that no respectable trader wants to have anything to do with...

Crayne

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: June 09, 2015, 02:27:42 PM »
Well, item quality doesn't need to be very involved. A simply flag (0 for new, 1 for used) would be enough to distinguish between new and used items. But yeah, trade-ins would be a nice touch even without that. :)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: June 09, 2015, 02:31:43 PM »
Well, item quality doesn't need to be very involved. A simply flag (0 for new, 1 for used) would be enough to distinguish between new and used items. But yeah, trade-ins would be a nice touch even without that. :)

But then you also need the effect of new vs used. We have items that provide a +1 bonus, so now do we need the system to handle fractions? Or are second hand items simply more likely to break once that is added in.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Crayne

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: June 09, 2015, 02:34:03 PM »
But then you also need the effect of new vs used. We have items that provide a +1 bonus, so now do we need the system to handle fractions? Or are second hand items simply more likely to break once that is added in.

I'd view it at a more abstract level, used items are simply less valuable than new ones. You could involve breakage, but that would make it a lot more cumbersome I think. And magic bonuses shouldn't depend on stuff being used or new, so fractions wouldn't be a problem there.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: June 09, 2015, 03:09:15 PM »
I'd view it at a more abstract level, used items are simply less valuable than new ones. You could involve breakage, but that would make it a lot more cumbersome I think. And magic bonuses shouldn't depend on stuff being used or new, so fractions wouldn't be a problem there.

If new vs used has no drawback, then it makes sense for characters to always attempt to buy second hand goods, which just seems odd.

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: June 09, 2015, 03:41:43 PM »
A thought, though it veers away from the core, allow shops to set up wagers on things - like success of quests, or who will be the first group to have a member die...

Visit the Inn after a hard day's work in the shop sort of thing :)
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

Crayne

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: June 09, 2015, 04:04:18 PM »
If new vs used has no drawback, then it makes sense for characters to always attempt to buy second hand goods, which just seems odd.

Point taken.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #27: June 09, 2015, 05:50:52 PM »
A thought, though it veers away from the core, allow shops to set up wagers on things - like success of quests, or who will be the first group to have a member die...

Visit the Inn after a hard day's work in the shop sort of thing :)

Oh, I do have some evil thoughts. That favorite group of that other shop, the ones who spend so much money there and always go back, and now they are in your shop... sure, you can try to win them over with really good deals. Or you can talk them into crap and make them trade-in their cool stuff, because you know the quest is really dangerous and if you manage to strip them of this and that, a total party kill is absolutely possible...

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: June 10, 2015, 12:06:11 AM »
Oh, I do have some evil thoughts. That favorite group of that other shop, the ones who spend so much money there and always go back, and now they are in your shop... sure, you can try to win them over with really good deals. Or you can talk them into crap and make them trade-in their cool stuff, because you know the quest is really dangerous and if you manage to strip them of this and that, a total party kill is absolutely possible...

Poison potions, funny when that healing potion causes the character to keel over instead.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #29: June 10, 2015, 07:29:11 AM »
Also, I want to add gossip as a feature. Temporary raising your shop marketing value - or reducing someone elses. There needs to be more interaction between the shops. Maybe even a little sabotage and theft.