Author Topic: Quest Writing  (Read 30537 times)

Crayne

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Quest Writing
« Reply #30: June 24, 2015, 08:59:43 AM »
It's not a 3-6 quest. Level 6 is quite high. Maybe a 2-4 quest, or if you want to keep damage values high, 3-4
Edited

150 xp for the first challenge seems high, it's a simple test with no bad consequences. 50 or 100 maybe?
The reason I put it that high is because from an OOC perspective it's an important lesson: don't always attack just because you can. But yeah, 100 is fine too. Will edit. :)

Also the 1st challenge could be one that can be continued even if they fail the test, in which case there would be battle with damage, but they follow the next group or something.
Right, so change the failure text and the way I think quests work. ;)

"clearing" lacks a progress parameter
Will add

In general, the progress is not entirely clear. You seem to want it linear, why not use simple +1 everywhere?
I thought all quests are linear. Still not sure how progress works in that respect. When they do a challenge and succeed, it checks whether there's a challenge with the new progress level, if not, it repeats a previous one until they do gain enough progress to advance to the next challenge?

The forest / golem fight - 30 damage is a LOT. It can be done (I've done it in Deathtrap Dungeon), but understand that it really is massive.
Eh, it can go down. I was guessing there.

I don't understand why the clearing fight deals no damage on success. If that's intentional, make the text more clear as to why.
Probably an oversight on my part. Will reread and edit accordingly.

Likewise, why it deals group damage and attribute damage is not clear. Fights usually cause normal damage (in marching order), so the fighters can shield the squishies.
Probably a remnant of a copy/paste action, since this quest contains one challenge more than your Rats example. Will edit.

10 group damage in the end fight will almost certainly kill one or two squishies. Group damage is EVERYONE. On a typical 4-character-party, this is the equivalent of 40-50 normal damage.
Will tone down.

Toughness -4 is just insane. -1 is normal, -2 is serious, -3 I would reserve for dragons and djinns. It will take 6-10 quests to recover that damage!
Let's not do that then. -2 should be enough.