Author Topic: Game mechanic ideas  (Read 1635 times)

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Game mechanic ideas
« Topic Start: June 08, 2011, 02:03:36 AM »
I'm currently making a game. Mostly as a CV filler but also to see if I can actually make a complete one on my own. My university course has taught me how to implement various parts of games, but I've never made a full one myself.

The game is currently only in ascii (when I started it, I couldn't be bothered to make my own renderer, may possibly port it over at some point between now and completion) and has random placement of rooms & corridors - basically, it's in its the very early stages of development.

I wanted the game to be a simple dungeon crawler: choose a starting character, allocate stat points that increase/decrease the changes of things happening (e.g. changing critical hit/miss chance), collect various items to help you on your way, see what level floor you can reach. Possibly making it party based and it may have some loose story mode to it (unsure on both of these yet).

I also wanted a unique/under-used game mechanic to implement, but I'm not sure what. If anyone could help me out with ideas, I'd really appreciate it. I'm willing to have a bash at implementing any mechanic, so feel free to suggest any and all ideas you have.