Author Topic: Faery Tale Online  (Read 204521 times)

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Faery Tale Online
« Reply #645: June 02, 2013, 05:12:59 AM »
IMO, it's not worth it. The game is dead. The world needs several thousand players to make it really interesting. And there's maybe 100 now. Maybe less. It's essentially a pure RP game. The few mechanics that exist are mostly for making food, and completely useless items. The players almost exclusively use the game for RPing raising families. But there are no mechanics to support it, so they have a strict set of unwritten rules you need to follow, or your character risks getting killed by people who are afraid you'll be a griefer and kill them.

Every time you start a new character, you have to go through RPing the whole stupid "growing up" period again. With *every* character. And then when you have your own kids, you'll have to RP raising them. Every time you have kids. And 3/4s of the kids you have will die of starvation inside of a few days. And half the rest will die of starvation within a few weeks. Because they're not played, because the birth system is retarded.

But, hey, if RPing being a housewife and pretending to raise kids is something that sounds interesting to you, then go for it. Because that's *all* you will do in this game.

This is essentially my feelings. It was funny, I hadn't considered griefing until everyone in the village demanded I stop making simple tools like knife/hammer/needle in fear that I intended to grief. Added to that, I still have no idea who is talking. "little girl" and "adult woman" aren't helpful titles for who is talking when there are 3 or 4 of each.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #646: June 02, 2013, 06:28:14 AM »
I can only agree with what's being said here, but you can click on those 'Adult woman' and 'Little girl' things to change their names just to clarify.

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #647: June 20, 2013, 02:46:29 AM »
We are sorry to inform you that your character, Stasya, has perished.  You may still log into your account and create a new character at any time.

Cause of death: Starved to death

Rest in peace Stasya. Maybe I will have a new char with her name at BM :)
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #648: June 20, 2013, 07:12:31 PM »
I've been playing this game a while and I see so much unfulfilled potential

I think the game is impossibly creepy as well, outside the sparse settlements there's literally nothing and the people in the settlement are so blunted and blind to the nothingness of the world... everything feels so temporary, the world is like a gigantic absurdist parable. There's definitely a dystopian atmosphere and some existentialist themes; my one character had a conversation with his parents about his travels and concluded that in between settlements there's nothing, but in the other settlements the people were strange and distant always preoccupied with useless things.

Creepy ass game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #649: June 21, 2013, 12:34:48 AM »
I imagine if you had 3000 or 4000 players, you could actually do something with this game.

Oh, and get rid of the obsession with keeping all knowledge in-game. A good wiki would work wonders.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #650: July 29, 2013, 08:46:50 AM »
I created a new account, hopefull the queue would be short and there would be a lot of pregnant women. How is Semarala doing?
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Amalthea

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #651: June 14, 2015, 02:18:32 AM »
I know this is kind of an old topic, but I thought those who participated might be interested.

Since the old FTO forums got shut down by the creator some time ago, a new fan-made forum has been created for the players to discuss the game among themselves and plan with their in-game families.

http://ftounofficial.boards.net/

Zakilevo

« Reply #652: June 14, 2015, 02:24:53 AM »
This game is still alive? :o

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #653: June 15, 2015, 02:23:44 AM »
Meh. This game had some serious playability issues that totally killed it for me. Included waiting six weeks to start playing.

Geminus

• Freeman
  • Geminus Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #654: June 16, 2015, 11:45:51 AM »
Yeah, I agree. I'm 150th on the birth queue now and seriously does that mean I have to wait for 150 women to get pregnant? Seriously? I think the problem with this game is that the long wait means most players would quit even before they were born.

If you guys really want a game that is very similar to Battlemaster, just more complex, check out my topic about Star Wars Combine. When you start out, remember to join a faction (preferably Tresario Star Kingdom) and you will accumulate millions in no time. :) See you there!

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #655: June 16, 2015, 01:58:25 PM »
Yes. You do need to wait for150 pregnancies. The long wait is why most children never wake up.

Also, lots of players run multiple accounts. Multi accounting is not against the rules.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #656: June 16, 2015, 02:37:21 PM »
Yeah, I agree. I'm 150th on the birth queue now and seriously does that mean I have to wait for 150 women to get pregnant? Seriously? I think the problem with this game is that the long wait means most players would quit even before they were born.

If you guys really want a game that is very similar to Battlemaster, just more complex, check out my topic about Star Wars Combine. When you start out, remember to join a faction (preferably Tresario Star Kingdom) and you will accumulate millions in no time. :) See you there!

Played it, rubbish game in my opinion. Waited years for combat to actually be implemented, and when it was it was a giant disappointment. Production/Item creation allows for nothing interesting or exciting either.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Geminus

• Freeman
  • Geminus Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #657: June 16, 2015, 04:01:46 PM »
Well, its fun for me.

You probably didn't find it fun because maybe you didn't understand the game properly. It isn't all about combat. Its more about roleplaying, production, economy and trade. War is not meant to be a core part of the game. Nevertheless, we all have different preferences, I can't force you.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #658: June 16, 2015, 04:39:53 PM »
Well, its fun for me.

You probably didn't find it fun because maybe you didn't understand the game properly. It isn't all about combat. Its more about roleplaying, production, economy and trade. War is not meant to be a core part of the game. Nevertheless, we all have different preferences, I can't force you.

Played for years, helping another BMer that was very into it. Its not that I didn't get it, its just strip it of the Star Wars setting and what do you have. A bunch of half realised systems. Perhaps if research was ever implemented it might have held my attention, but that is just another feature that is more then 5 years on the drawing board.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 04:45:44 PM by De-Legro »
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Geminus

• Freeman
  • Geminus Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #659: June 22, 2015, 02:33:01 PM »
OK...

Anyway I'm 134th on the birth queue now after one whole week. Yay.  :-\