Author Topic: What Lies West II a.k.a. The Cause  (Read 9578 times)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
What Lies West II a.k.a. The Cause
« Topic Start: July 06, 2015, 05:18:36 PM »
So after the secession of Fissoa, Madina will be looking into a new avenue: PvE combat!

There's a whole lot in the works (realm system inspired on Siculo-Normans, new Faith, Order based on Saint-John and much more), and to make it work we'll need a lot of people to join. But that's all for later!

Right now I want to know just one thing: is there any technical/game rules reason a human reconquest of the West is impossible? I understand hordes of monsters roam about, that staging an amphibious assault will be a nightmare, even more-so to capture/hold a city against onslaughts of monsters. But is there a concrete wall we cannot pass? In the same way that the sea zones southwest of Dwilight have their access restricted?

Tl;dr: I always liked Dwilight for its frontier atmosphere and want to bring it back through a human led (probably catastrophic) counter-invasion of Western Dwilight. Is it technically possible?

Edit: so waiting for replies I read through the other thread, and there seem to be no technical reasons other than sanity that would prevent an attempt to retake lands to the West.

More to come soon!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 05:31:38 PM by Shizzle »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: What Lies West II a.k.a. The Cause
« Reply #1: July 06, 2015, 06:42:02 PM »
That's correct; the West is simply insanely infested with monsters.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 06, 2015, 07:15:28 PM »
That's correct; the West is simply insanely infested with monsters.

hurray!

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 06, 2015, 11:37:21 PM »
There seem to be no technical reasons other than sanity that would prevent an attempt to retake lands to the West.

Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 07, 2015, 11:25:38 AM »
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Yes! Need to set up a few things, after which I hope to roll out a PvE project

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 07, 2015, 01:19:11 PM »
Yes! Need to set up a few things, after which I hope to roll out a PvE project

Sounds like a similar project to that which Astrum already runs, and which D'hara has been working towards for months. Even Swordfell has expressed interest in the past.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 07, 2015, 07:26:15 PM »
and what Arnor wants to do in the north, etc. Seems a lot of people decided that it is better to lose from rogues than from humans ;p

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 09, 2015, 04:51:32 PM »
and what Arnor wants to do in the north, etc. Seems a lot of people decided that it is better to lose from rogues than from humans ;p

ice
burn
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 10, 2015, 04:21:25 AM »
Why weren't you guys in the west when the shizzle went down yo? The west is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too much effort to take back. Imagine wasting years taming the place, building up your miniscule kingdom for years only to have it wiped out. Not again, don't waste your time, its too crushing to see it all destroyed.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 10, 2015, 04:26:40 AM »
Why weren't you guys in the west when the shizzle went down yo? The west is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too much effort to take back. Imagine wasting years taming the place, building up your miniscule kingdom for years only to have it wiped out. Not again, don't waste your time, its too crushing to see it all destroyed.

Sounds like the game we used to enjoy before Monsters were nerfed and the west became civilised. Back then I recall D'Hara struggling to keep the monsters out of their cities, and trying to take and hold Quebel for the food was a weekly event.

Zakilevo

« Reply #10: July 10, 2015, 06:19:28 AM »
I miss that part of Dwilight too. People complained about not being able to expand and turned the whole island into another EC or AT.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 10, 2015, 06:34:12 AM »
I miss that part of Dwilight too. People complained about not being able to expand and turned the whole island into another EC or AT.

The West was never like EC or AT.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: July 10, 2015, 06:45:06 AM »
The West was never like EC or AT.

Certainly was when I was in Caerwyn, Asylon, Terran and Farronite Republic

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: July 10, 2015, 06:47:12 AM »
It was still very difficult and probably a needed respite to lessen the monster spawn and allow colonization. Still heart breaking after all the work and years and years of struggle involved to have it end the way it did. As far as my character is concerned he will probably not go further west than Port Raviel, the land is dead to him.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: July 10, 2015, 06:49:59 AM »
Certainly was when I was in Caerwyn, Asylon, Terran and Farronite Republic

Huh, never in my experience at least. Especially with the SMA.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)