Author Topic: Looking for a Map Editor  (Read 24193 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Looking for a Map Editor
« Topic Start: June 08, 2011, 05:11:28 PM »
The BM maps are showing their age, and I would really love to have a new, better map editor to create beautiful pseudo-3D/-isometric maps not only for BM, but also for BM:WI which needs a few additional maps.

I've been looking for years, every now and then, checking out current games and the like. I never found anything that works for me. Either it looks like crap, or it only offers too-specific and too few different tiles, or the editor sucks, or it isn't the right scale, etc. etc.

So I'm now making an open call. If you think you know of a game, a map editor or some other tool that could create maps more beautiful than the current ones, that would totally rock.
Please post below, with screenshots.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Looking for a Map Editor
« Reply #2: June 08, 2011, 09:36:02 PM »
I've looked at all the mapping software there is (I think).

Basically, they suck. Those may be good maps, but BM doesn't use maps, it uses rich isometric views. I'm looking at Civ 5 at the moment, it might come close. A real terrain renderer like Terragen might cut it, but it lacks the symbols for towns, castles, etc.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 08, 2011, 10:18:01 PM »
So you want "3d" instead of 2d?

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 08, 2011, 10:35:54 PM »
I've always liked the maps used in the Total War series...

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 09, 2011, 12:00:51 AM »
This game will also have an editor once it's done. http://dof.reverieworld.com/features.php

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 10, 2011, 11:26:05 AM »
Another thing about the maps:

are there plans to have a layer showing the different seasons? Like polar regions would be white in autumn-winter-spring and green in summer, or moderate season regions would be green in sring-summer-autumn, and white in winter?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #7: June 11, 2011, 11:05:27 PM »
If the map editor supports it... maybe...

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 12, 2011, 12:39:59 AM »
If you can't find one, you could always have one made. I can't see it being too difficult to create what you want, so I'm sure a freelancer programmer will gladly take on the job. This way you could get everything you wanted in it and it could easily be updated in the future. The only problem would be paying for it and since you're looking for free ones, I'm guessing that would be a major obstacle?

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 12, 2011, 06:06:29 AM »
If you can't find one, you could always have one made. I can't see it being too difficult to create what you want, so I'm sure a freelancer programmer will gladly take on the job. This way you could get everything you wanted in it and it could easily be updated in the future. The only problem would be paying for it and since you're looking for free ones, I'm guessing that would be a major obstacle?

What about having a donation drive specifically for paying for a new map editor? For something like nice, new, fancy looking maps I'm sure a lot of players would be willing to help out. And if you don't raise enough money, then it doesn't happen. Maybe you could even come up with a new fun goodie to give out specifically for the donation drive?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 12, 2011, 09:15:49 AM »
I'd donate :) regardless of the goody.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 12, 2011, 12:45:20 PM »
I might (finally, after 8 years) donate after this summer... when I cash my money for a month's work! The thing is though, I hate PayPal. Any other solutions (I can use pp if needed, I have done it before, it's just so.freaking.slow.).
Ardet nec consumitur.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #12: June 12, 2011, 07:54:40 PM »
It's not a matter of donation. And no, I don't think creating one specifically for BM is the right approach. The task is massive, and the problem isn't programming so much as artwork.

There are many map editors out there that can be used, the problem is that the artwork they have sucks.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 12, 2011, 08:25:54 PM »
It's not a matter of donation. And no, I don't think creating one specifically for BM is the right approach. The task is massive, and the problem isn't programming so much as artwork.

There are many map editors out there that can be used, the problem is that the artwork they have sucks.

So we need to find/hire an artist?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Aldwoni

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:38:51 PM by Aldwoni »