Author Topic: lightning bolts plox  (Read 45567 times)

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: lightning bolts plox
« Reply #60: September 18, 2015, 11:04:54 PM »
*yawn*

Seriously, this is about the least interesting thing that could have happened.

While the choice of target is as boring and predictable as could be expected for AT, Jean Luc's war declaration message was the perfect mixture of humility and arrogance.

I almost paused my character after I read the war declaration. I think the island is a list cause. However, I decided to try and salvage a little bit if fun out if it before I go.

You got your i's and o's mixed up there. :p

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: September 19, 2015, 12:54:37 AM »
I just wiped and reinstalled a new os on my phone. (CM 12.1) Not used to this keyboard yet. :p
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: September 19, 2015, 05:36:41 AM »
I didn't really like it either.

Yeah, exactly why I paused my character. I'm not going to be a part of that !@#$.
Hey you wanted a war. We got a war.
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: September 19, 2015, 07:09:33 AM »
I didn't really like it either.
Hey you wanted a war. We got a war.

That's not a war. That's a gang-bang of the typical Atamara style and I won't be a part of the very !@#$ I was trying to prevent.

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: September 19, 2015, 11:27:53 AM »
I actually have a bit more faith for the continent now, with CE's war declaration but it'll depend on a lot of things. I'll just let AT prove me wrong the next 6 months I guess.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: September 19, 2015, 12:44:48 PM »
If you can declare war for OOC reasons, you can break alliances for OOC reasons.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: September 19, 2015, 01:16:04 PM »
I actually have a bit more faith for the continent now, with CE's war declaration but it'll depend on a lot of things. I'll just let AT prove me wrong the next 6 months I guess.

Again, this is not a war declaration, it's basically a bitch slap in the face of anyone who would dare to play a realm besides Talerium, CE or Tara. Seriously, !@#$ that continent.

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: September 19, 2015, 02:14:40 PM »
Again, this is not a war declaration, it's basically a bitch slap in the face of anyone who would dare to play a realm besides Talerium, CE or Tara. Seriously, !@#$ that continent.

Or you could see it as a possibility to finally destroy CE, just whatever the way you see it I guess.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: September 19, 2015, 05:23:09 PM »
Or you could see it as a possibility to finally destroy CE, just whatever the way you see it I guess.

Given Atamara's history over the past 10 years or so, do you really believe that?

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: September 19, 2015, 08:37:54 PM »

Half the continent allied together couldn't do it. What makes you think two tiny realms that barely equal Talerium on a good day, let along both CE and Talerium, could possibly pose a threat from half-way across the continent.

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: September 19, 2015, 11:22:18 PM »
I actually do, but time may prove me wrong. But rather than complaining about it, I'll try to make it happen at all cost.

Noble family

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: December 04, 2015, 09:40:07 AM »
There were some hits on ML, but it was painfully slow to do because of having to travel around Rieleston... which makes it look like no war exists. Now we've got Escent to thank for getting something rolling, but it needs to play out yet.

Well, I did as much as I could to stir the pot with Escent and get the wheels turning again.  Sadly, it turns out that it's all for naught and I'll be honest, I'm pretty well ticked off that Atamara is getting destroyed.  The last time I was this annoyed was when infiltrators started showing up in regions without needing a scout report.Oh well.  I've been playing almost every day for 10 years so I suppose I'll let it go eventually.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: December 04, 2015, 11:11:19 PM »
What someone said above about republics versus kingships and the like.

Tara is a Tyranny.  Basically the Tyrant can do anything he wants.  Within reason.

And when I broke with the federation in the end, there were no protests.  Strombran's actions against Caergoth made that easy in the end.  There was a lot of "if they want to betray the federation let them break first" thoughts going on.  In the end though, because Strombran and CE shared so many characters I knew they just were never going to do that.

The politics of the federation were interesting.  Tara and Cagil were the longest and oldest allies and had fought as brothers forever.  But there were very few players that had characters in both realms.  So even though they were brother realms, they didn't SHARE a lot in common.  Strombran was formed by Cagil and many of those in power in each realm had characters in the other realm.  Cagil and Strombran were very much two sides of the same coin.  One giant two-nation realm if you will.

Strombran could do ANYTHING and Cagil would never break federation with them.  And if Tara broke federation we would be destroyed by both of them.  A year ago, when I first became Tyrant, our only allies were Talerium and Caergoth.  Not counting the Federation.  Cagil and Strombran were allied with everybody else.  If I had stood up to them at that time, Tara would have been destroyed.  Period.  End of Line.

So instead I started a year long effort to chip away at the alliances supporting Cagil and Strombran.  I put pressure on them.  I talked to other rulers.  I put pressure on them.  Just a little bit.  Never too much.  And as the months went by, Cagil was so secure in their position that they let them all go.  And Tara tested our armies against Minas Leon and then Suville.  We taught our people how march again and we turned Tara's army into a seriously potent force once more.  And then Strombran pissed away their last alliance.

And that left Tara the only nation with allies outside the League.  Allies that had experience fighting and just might be able to tip the balance of what a combined CE-Strombran army would do to Tara.

Basically, I spent a year working to turn the politics of Atamara sideways.  And I got a lot more help from the other rulers than I really expected.  Everybody disliked the status quo.  It's just that nobody knew how to end it.  Even I didn't know how to actually BREAK it all in the end.  All I knew how to do was weaken and pressure it...and for months people have seen that pressure going up and up and up.

Everybody wanted a change, but nobody knew how to do it.  Then the leader of CE started up an OOC discussion in the League about breaking everything up.  We never came to an agreement about how to do it, but we did come to an agreement that something had to be done.  And then that slow ratcheting pressure that was slowly breaking up the federation got turned up one more notch by Strombran and...snap...

I pulled Tara out of the federation and it was GOTIME.

An interesting thing that I want to point out.  While most people say the League of the Eagle won the game back in the day, it wasn't the League that actually...held sway.  Or it wasn't the League that really stagnated the island.  It was the federation.  In the League we could still go our separate ways and do stuff.  In the federation, we were lockstepped to each other in ways that are really hard.  Especially when Strombran and Tara detested each other as much as they did.

The League did not have to die to break Atamara free of the stagnation it was in.  The federation had to die.  That is a very interesting difference.  Most people see them as one and the same, but they really never were.  The League was an alliance of nations that mostly worked together.  The federation of Tara and Cagil were the two most powerful nations locked together in ways that nobody else could break.  Except themselves.  And that would never happen until the playing rulers decided it had to be done.  And we did decide that.  And we did it.  Because we knew it was the only way break the stagnation that had fallen over Atamara.

It is sad that the devs decided to sink the island after we spent a year making it more exciting.  But that's not on us.  We did what we needed to do.  We made Atamara better.  And we were on track to putting it back on top as the best island to play on if my projections are right.  And considering that it took ten years to build the situation we were in, the fact that we broke it in one year is pretty awesome in my book.

It's just a damn shame the devs shut it down after we succeeded.  Or least made one big step on the succeeding ladder.  There were a lot more steps to take.  And we were well and truly taking them.  Hehehe.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: December 04, 2015, 11:36:22 PM »
To be honest, I'm sad that we had to sink it, too, having seen that there was finally movement away from the bloc politics that had dominated the continent for so long.

But we had to pick at least 2 continents to sink, EC wasn't on the table, and we couldn't base our decision on what we hoped might be the shape of the continents 6 months or a year from now. We had to base it on how the continents have existed over their (recent) lifetime.

I would have liked to see an Atamara with several more-or-less equal factions. Maybe someday we can resurrect the continent and find out.

Anyway, I'm keeping snapshots of all the islands pre-sinking, so it wouldn't be completely impossible to go back. ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: December 05, 2015, 01:46:58 PM »
I think in many ways that Atamara is the best continent geographically to play on.  It offers so much interesting terrain and really massive war fronts are available.

Heck, it was so good as a geographical thing that they made Beluaterra on it.

The problem I have with Beluaterra is that losing so much of the land has caused a lot of...shall we say...problems...there are fewer options for war fronts now.  I think it would be very interesting to see the sunken lands return to Beluaterra as the whole map really is very amazing from a gameplay purpose.  I think it's good enough that losing it as a map to play on is bad for the game.