Author Topic: The Empire  (Read 35828 times)

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: The Empire
« Reply #30: September 04, 2015, 07:25:20 PM »
Ummm....

Wait.... I'm the one who's smug?

Gotcha.

You seem to ignore the fact that dustole never has played their characters in a way that allows for lasting power. His goals involve creating more conflict to keep islands interesting. I would label him a destabilizing force.

I doubt that dustole ever expected for the realm led by him to last forever, but he splintered Arcaea and left it unstable, which I think was the point.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: September 06, 2015, 10:07:54 PM »
From interactions ic and ooc I can say fairly certainly that dustole fully believed he was going to be crowned emperor, and while his intent may have been to open up fei for more conflict, it would have been fun only for his side.

This is a much more fun result which looks to be ramping up to a fun and fairly even war, so we can give him credit for that much.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: September 06, 2015, 10:32:20 PM »
Although more credit is due to those who stood against him.  8)
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: September 07, 2015, 01:55:23 AM »
From interactions ic and ooc I can say fairly certainly that dustole fully believed he was going to be crowned emperor, and while his intent may have been to open up fei for more conflict, it would have been fun only for his side.

This is a much more fun result which looks to be ramping up to a fun and fairly even war, so we can give him credit for that much.

From my YEARS of interaction with dustole, I can fairly confidently state that while he would have liked to be crowned emperor, he never counted on it. And assuming it would only be fun for his side is a very, very cynical way of viewing things.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: September 07, 2015, 02:51:41 AM »
The war for empire on fei was fun for a few years, so long as the outcome was in doubt. As soon as it became inevitable, it became a long slog of boredom waiting for it to be over already.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: September 08, 2015, 01:54:23 AM »
@gundammerc: the plan he discussed with me was to ally every realm except ow and coralynth and then declare war on each of them until they swore allegiance to claudio. he was quite sure in both ic and ooc communication that he would have the support of arcaea, sorraine, zonasa and gdd, and alternately made promises and threats according to this assumption to get myself and others on board with his plan. when he failed to gain my/jonn's support he announced to myself and others that cathay would be "destroyed", not just beaten into submission, but ended as a realm.

what is cynical is to assume that this plan would be somehow fun for the players of the realms being ganged up on. losing wars can be fun but impossible ones are not. had his plan succeeded it would have resulted in less nobles and less realms for the already depopulated far east, a point which i made several times in the course of trying to negotiate a more universally palatable version of his plan.

in fact it would not have been fun for hardly anyone, unless easy mode gangbang wars are your sort of thing. i would like to think of most bm players as appreciating the challenge of a good even war. which it looks like we are about to have, so that's fun.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: September 08, 2015, 04:58:56 PM »
"he was quite sure in both ic and ooc communication that he would have the support of arcaea, sorraine, zonasa and gdd"

My character, the ruler of Sorraine, was quite explicit both privately and publicly, that she directly opposed the reformation of the empire. I told him directly, and announced openly to all rulers, that i opposed the plan. Dustole was trying to fast talk and bull!@#$ his way into getting what he wanted. It's awesome, hes good at it, and we love him for it. He was at least trying to make something happen, which is more than most of us. (Me included...)

Eirikr

« Reply #37: September 08, 2015, 07:19:33 PM »
"he was quite sure in both ic and ooc communication that he would have the support of arcaea, sorraine, zonasa and gdd"

My character, the ruler of Sorraine, was quite explicit both privately and publicly, that she directly opposed the reformation of the empire. I told him directly, and announced openly to all rulers, that i opposed the plan. Dustole was trying to fast talk and bull!@#$ his way into getting what he wanted. It's awesome, hes good at it, and we love him for it. He was at least trying to make something happen, which is more than most of us. (Me included...)

Pretty much this, right here. He's so good at it that I genuinely believed Arcaea was alone - only when I made my stand public did I find out that so many people were being hoodwinked. If I'd just rolled over as was intended, it would have just as easily become reality because it would look exactly like he said it would. It sounds simple, but it was really clever.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: September 08, 2015, 09:46:31 PM »
@indirik yeah, for the sake of brevity i condensed all the various plans dustole/claudio presented. it was around his second or third permutation that I realized he was just riffing on bs and probably spinning all sorts of tales to others as well.

@eirikr this is exactly why jonn urged nairii and optimus to get in touch with foreign rulers to let them know that someone somewhere was totally against claudio's plan and willing to stand against him.

and yes, while I was adamantly against his plan ic and ooc I have to give credit where it's due, the whole thing was a near-masterful act of political trickery.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: September 30, 2015, 03:25:48 AM »
Good job ruining it whoever was involved in electing the ruler of Arcaea. Far East is dead now.

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: October 01, 2015, 12:10:51 AM »
If only we'd elected Claudio as Emperor of the Far East everything would have been perfect!

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: October 01, 2015, 01:05:02 AM »
If only we'd elected Claudio as Emperor of the Far East everything would have been perfect!

Anyone who'd butt out of wars that aren't their business when they already have a war of their own would have been fine. But you've been an idiot from the start Qyasogk, and can't see anything for what it is.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: October 01, 2015, 01:10:56 AM »
My character has been wounded. Who was elected?

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: October 01, 2015, 01:19:56 AM »
i wondered when the crying would start. didnt have to wait long, i guess.

it was noticeably absent when cathay was outnumbered three to one, had no relevant allies and no food.

maybe thats why weve been winning anyway.

buck up guys, every time arcaea enters a war someone starts crying that fei is dead. yet it keeps going and i would posit is more interesting now than it has been in a while. figure something out.

@indirik ruler doesnt vacate as easily as other council positions (maybe depending on govt type, cant speak for republics) so taylin is still queen.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: October 01, 2015, 01:51:47 AM »
i wondered when the crying would start. didnt have to wait long, i guess.

it was noticeably absent when cathay was outnumbered three to one, had no relevant allies and no food.

maybe thats why weve been winning anyway.

buck up guys, every time arcaea enters a war someone starts crying that fei is dead. yet it keeps going and i would posit is more interesting now than it has been in a while. figure something out.

@indirik ruler doesnt vacate as easily as other council positions (maybe depending on govt type, cant speak for republics) so taylin is still queen.

lol, someone's a moron. Cathay isn't outnumbered by nearly that much, and what it does face is hardly as coordinated as they are, being three small realms trying to work together. You'd have a point if it were a 1vs1 with the one realm being smaller than the other, or even a 1vs3 where all realms are equal in size. But that's not the case. All of the realms facing Cathay are smaller, and have to coordinate their actions with one another besides the coordination needed for their own armies.

Besides which, Arcaea doesn't even have the balls to declare on any of the other realms, they're content to kill off the newest realm. So pretty much what's going to happen is the nobles that were in that third realm will go to the other two realms, concentrate the forces of the realms allied against Cathay more, and provide an even larger enemy for Cathay. So Arcaea is pretty much screwing Cathay over.