Author Topic: Auto da fe on pagan lord?  (Read 5049 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Auto da fe on pagan lord?
« Topic Start: September 08, 2015, 09:33:11 PM »
I'm certain I'm missing something here, but I would expect to be able to Auto da fe a Pagan who has an estate in a region with 95% of the population faithful to my religion.  Somehow, I am not, and the only two things I can think of are:

1. Can't Auto da fe Pagans (which seems unintended, I would imagine you should be able to do anything to Pagans that you could do to those you found evil).
2. Can't Auto da fe Lords (which I could possibly see, but the wiki is ambiguous, as it says that the noble will lose "any landed titles they may have").

Region is Arempos, character Elcalyn, desired target is Anastasia Von Borghoff (who does have an estate in the region).

Thoughts?
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Auto da fe on pagan lord?
« Reply #1: September 08, 2015, 09:36:26 PM »
I'm fairly sure that you can't auto da fe pagans, and that that's intentional.

Remember, "Pagan" doesn't mean "follows some peasant belief system." It means "follows a belief system that is not presently represented among the officially-founded religions of the continent," or even "hasn't yet bothered to/been able to sign up at a temple for the officially-founded religion on the continent he/she actually follows."

So they could be someone who is, in fact, a follower of a religion you would consider a variant, but no one's officially founded that religion on the continent you're on.

Auto da fe is for removing an enemy of the faith, not just "someone we find inconvenient."

As for the rest of the confusion...chalk it up to inherent drawbacks of the religion system, so far as I'm concerned.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 09, 2015, 02:23:39 AM »
You used to be able to do it. On Dwilight, Allison kicked Aram out of the church, then immediately used an auto da fe to remove him from the lordship.

I think the key is that your religion has to have a temple of size 3 or 4 in the region.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 09, 2015, 02:24:44 AM »
Really?

Huh. I could've sworn you couldn't auto da fe pagans...

But yes, you definitely need a size 3+ temple in the region.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 09, 2015, 02:25:43 AM »
I am fairly certain they just have to be not a member of your religion.

Eirikr

« Reply #5: September 09, 2015, 03:54:08 AM »
I see a sudden quiet code change in the near future. :P

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 10, 2015, 03:13:52 AM »
Aha, I can at least test the level three temple.

As for pagans not being evil, I'm aware that I might consider them variant, but there are not nearly enough reasons to stop being pagan at the moment.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 10, 2015, 03:45:42 PM »
There are currently no reasons to join a player run religion. That won't change until some realm gets enough disaster characters to dedicate several to being a priest, and several other characters willing to devote themselves to religion over realm.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 10, 2015, 03:54:25 PM »
There are currently no reasons to join a player run religion. That won't change until some realm gets enough disaster characters to dedicate several to being a priest, and several other characters willing to devote themselves to religion over realm.

Even then, it'll only change for a little while.

I'm fairly well convinced at this point that the existing religion structure can never provide the kinds of gameplay necessary to encourage near-universal membership—or, indeed, to encourage membership for anyone besides those specifically interested in playing not just a religion, but that particular religion.
Timothy Collett

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 10, 2015, 04:04:09 PM »
Derp... Spell check failure. "Disaster characters" should have been "extra characters". Although disaster could be the eventual outcome. :p

IG religions were pretty active when we had lots of extra characters in the game. But when you're starved for enough characters to just keep realms running, it's not possible to devote effort to extra luxuries.

You might be right, though, that the given mechanism may not be capable of providing the game play we need. It may not be possible at all, with any mechanic.

Zakilevo

« Reply #10: September 10, 2015, 07:31:01 PM »
I doubt we will ever see the likes of SA and other large religions.

Most religions are not viable any longer I believe unless they go multi-realm which is rather hard to achieve.

I think someone suggested selecting a religion during character creation.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 10, 2015, 10:07:44 PM »
Alternatively, I recall something being bandied about about actually having a pantheon, and then people would have differently religions interpreting the will of the gods that absolutely existed, or supporting one instead of others and the like.  I didn't like it before, but with the vast increase in the fantasy quotient after the last few Invasions, it might be appropriate.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 10, 2015, 11:29:51 PM »
Alternatively, I recall something being bandied about about actually having a pantheon, and then people would have differently religions interpreting the will of the gods that absolutely existed, or supporting one instead of others and the like.  I didn't like it before, but with the vast increase in the fantasy quotient after the last few Invasions, it might be appropriate.

I don't see how a pantheon relates to the fantasy quotient... It's not like the middle ages wouldn't have come about with a polytheistic religion rather than a monotheistic one...

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 11, 2015, 08:47:37 AM »
I don't see how a pantheon relates to the fantasy quotient... It's not like the middle ages wouldn't have come about with a polytheistic religion rather than a monotheistic one...

The idea was that there would be an actual, real, game-mechanic existing pantheon that actually did things.  That significantly would have upped the fantasy quotient seven or eight years back.  These days?  Not so much.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 11, 2015, 02:10:59 PM »
The idea was that there would be an actual, real, game-mechanic existing pantheon that actually did things.  That significantly would have upped the fantasy quotient seven or eight years back.  These days?  Not so much.

The "actually did things" part has never been close to certain.

The idea is more to have a reasonably well-defined pantheon, with different Gods having clear portfolios, and then allowing a certain amount of latitude for players to split or combine those Gods, while retaining the basic ideas that these aspects go together in some way, while those are clearly separate.
Timothy Collett