Author Topic: Considering Return - State of the Game  (Read 8636 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Considering Return - State of the Game
« Topic Start: September 15, 2015, 12:52:10 AM »
Some of you still here probably remember me, as those that have posted recently all seem to be old-timers.

Can anyone give me a state of the game update? I've been gone since mid 2013. Is it worth returning to play? It seems from my brief reading that the player density problem has only worsened.

Are there specific realms that are high spots of interactivity and RP? Any intrigue?

Please don't tell me to just join a realm because you're there. I realize everyone needs nobles. That's not what I'm asking. I'm sure if your realm is good, I'd find my way there eventually.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Considering Return - State of the Game
« Reply #1: September 15, 2015, 02:50:55 AM »
First off: Hi! Nice to see you back. You're right, density isn't any better.

Second: avoid FEI. It's horrible.

Third: AT really hasn't changed much. Federation politics are possibly even worse than before. CE, Tara, and Strombran are still locked in an unbreakable federation. Everyone else is allied or federated to one or more of them, making warfare just stupid. I'm pretty much sick of it.

Not sure how ec is going to turn out. Some of the rulers are dedicated to keeping small scale, goal oriented warfare going. It remains to be seen if we can make it stick. I hear Vix Tiramora is pretty active. We try to be in Eponllyn, but not a lot of rp. There was a really good to series in Oligarch about the wedding and the poisoning of Ecthelion.

The south island is pretty active. Sandalak was when my character there died, and I guess it still is. Ikalak is, too. Not much intrigue, but some good fighting action.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 15, 2015, 04:11:08 AM »
Thanks Indirik.

So avoid FEI and Atamara is what I've got so far. I don't need any more reason to avoid AT if stagnation is even worse. That ordeal led to me leaving in the first place. I don't have the energy to make that fight twice.

Anyone have thoughts on Dwilight?
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 15, 2015, 05:42:22 AM »
Thanks Indirik.

So avoid FEI and Atamara is what I've got so far. I don't need any more reason to avoid AT if stagnation is even worse. That ordeal led to me leaving in the first place. I don't have the energy to make that fight twice.

Anyone have thoughts on Dwilight?

Morek broke apart into three different kingdoms, each with independent ambitions. One of them is even at war with Astrum over Caiyun while the other two are fighting each other over Cold Springs. I'd highly suggest the one based in Donghaiwei, it's basically in the middle of everything with regards to politics, and the players there are all ones who aren't afraid of declaring war.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 15, 2015, 01:31:20 PM »
Welcome back! Well, almost, at least.

As said, player density hasn't increased. Some continents were partly covered with ice (or, like, the entire western part of Dwilight is now rogue and practically impassable), but those of us who stick around keep things going.

I'm not privy to Atamara as I have avoided that continent in a long time. The things I hear are indeed about perpetual peace, although I do recall that there was some war up in the northeast. That might be over now, though.

East Continent has some war going. Primarily in the southern half, as all realms there are at war except for Perleone. Sirion is battling some broken off duchy, which they have driven towards Oligarch city, but as I understand it Sirion is being royally slow at finishing that war. Or perhaps Duchies of Souther Sirion (the brakeaway realm) is skilled at one-city survival!

Beluaterra's war has dimmed. Thalmarkin, Ar Agyr and Old Grehk are still fighting Nothoi (and possibly one of their allies if they show up). I'm inclined to believe the tipping point in that war has already been passed, though. I would still say you should go to Beluaterra, but that's mostly because I am biased in favor of Beluaterra at any given time.

Dwilight saw a long war in which Luria Nova fought against everyone except Swordfell, however that war has also tipped over in favor of Luria Nova. Fissoa has been split into two realms. Morek was chopped up in a hilarious fashion from the inside. D'Hara, Swordfell and Luria Nova now retain their "pre-glacier" borders more or less. Astrum is still a powerhouse, but has somewhat relocated to where Corsanctum used to be. The war is not over, but it might be more interesting to join one of the Morekian offspring if you don't fancy travelling long distances to fight one or two battles.

The South Island is also known as the War Island. It's fun, it's active, it has plenty of battles. If you decide to join the game again, you surely need to play on the War Island as well.

Ardet nec consumitur.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 15, 2015, 06:10:03 PM »
Welcome back, sort of. I myself also joined back into the game after a long while again, so far it has been enjoyable.

Most of the summaries have been given, but I'll gladly fill in some missing data as far as I know.

AT is indeed still the same, the war between Caergoth/Suville might become fun if it turns to 1 vs 1, but that's about it. War between Talerium and Rieleston and Minas Leon is rather slow paced, also due to travel times of Talerium and ML.

Dwilight actually is still fun. Luria currently has quite some active RP heavy players, but I can't say for the other realms. The north in turn has a lot of war though, which I'd assume is fun also. I think most realms in Dwilight aren't afraid to declare war, which is good.

EI, to add to the info already given. Sirion is indeed extremely slow in gathering their army. But even if they gather it, I doubt they'll be able to break DSS anytime soon. The south has seen a lot of war, but it's not entirely certain if it'll continue in this form. But the idea of smaller realms is better is pretty prevalent on the continent, which should provide enough fun in the future also.

WI is awesome of course, although the allegiences change ever 2 months these days hehe :)
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 16, 2015, 01:38:29 AM »
I highly recommend the War Island, of course I am biased towards Taselak but it has been a lot of fun. Ikalak is kind of the strange kid who eats worms though.

Dwilight is interesting if you stick to the north as mentioned, one of the Morekian realms or Astrum. The south is either at peace with the two Fissoas or still in the same what 2 year old stalemate of a war between Luria Nova and D'hara. Swordfell has finally broken its neutrality though I think and joined in with the war between Astrum and HD over Caiyun.

Atamara will get a bit more interesting soon, but still nothing that major. It could use some good old rebellions and Ducal power grabs.

No idea about FEI, I've never heard much good about in the all the years I've played this game. I've never been to EI and it has been a long time since I went to BT.
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

Zakilevo

« Reply #7: September 16, 2015, 02:22:03 AM »
Heh good to see you again Silverfire.

You've missed all the fun. Should have been there when Kurlock was alive 8)

I'd recommend EC to be honest. EC feels like it is the most vibrant place at the moment. I'd think carefully on which realm to join.

If you want inter-realm politics, I'd recommend Vix Tiramora. If you want to join a small realm fighting for its own survival, I'd recommend either Fallangard or DSS.

Graeth

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 16, 2015, 04:00:05 AM »
FEI getting a lot of flak, but I've been enjoying my time in Coralynth there. Lots of people roleplaying and lots of interaction with the neighbors. Seems like there are lots of small-scale conflicts, especially in the south right now. As I just started on the island a few months ago after a multi-year hiatus (fall of Papania?) I'm not really sure what the island has been like leading up to this.

Northern Dwilight is also the place to be now, especially with these new kingdoms popping up everywhere.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 04:03:09 AM by Graeth »
Geg Family: Elshon (Bel)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 17, 2015, 05:20:30 PM »
What are the special rules of the war island? Are all characters mortal? I know it resets once anyone wins. Does the reset also kill all characters with their H/P or what?

Also, does EI have a lot of Old Guard problems like AT? If there is war but stagnant political groups that's not much fun either.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 17, 2015, 08:12:57 PM »
SI: every account gets one free character on the island. No second characters allowed. (Like Dwilight.)

All characters can die, but I don't think any non-heroes have died yet.

Diplomacy locked at war.

No priest actions. No family gold connection. It's all about fighting.

As for EC, the only really Old Guard you have is Sirion. Ecthelion still rules Sirion, and a lot of the people are still there. My character rules Eponllyn, but I wouldn't consider him Old Guard.

Other than that, there has been a lot of turnover in most realms. Several realms are rules by newer characters.

There is still a strong there realm alliance: Sirion, Nivemus, Eponllyn. However, no one seems shy about starting wars.

All in all, EC looks like a bright spot right now.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 17, 2015, 08:44:57 PM »
Honestly, I'm surprised to hear that EI is a bright spot after hearing it was similar to or worse than Atamara for the longest time so far as stagnancy goes. That's good to hear.

So would a new family be able to have three nobles then if one of them is on South Island?

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 17, 2015, 09:09:36 PM »
Honestly, I'm surprised to hear that EI is a bright spot after hearing it was similar to or worse than Atamara for the longest time so far as stagnancy goes. That's good to hear.

So would a new family be able to have three nobles then if one of them is on South Island?

Yep.

Zakilevo

« Reply #13: September 18, 2015, 12:47:20 AM »

Many tried to break the alliance up and at least for the south, it has seen somewhat successful.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 18, 2015, 04:01:58 AM »
On South Island are all characters killed during a reset or do they keep their skills for the next round?