Author Topic: Guild/Religion Message Lists by Rank  (Read 2742 times)

Dallben

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Guild/Religion Message Lists by Rank
« Topic Start: September 16, 2015, 09:54:23 PM »
Summary:  Guilds/Orders currently have message group lists for
All / Some
all Full members (corresponding to "Members" members on the ranks list)
all Elder Members (corresponding to "Senior" members on the ranks list)
But there is no message group list for the "aspirant" ranks, nor is there any message group for ONLY Full members, or ONLY Aspirants.

Details:
Add the message group list option for only "aspirant" ranks and another for only Full ranks.  Call it... "Only aspiring members" and "Only Full members".  These message groups would create a "reply-to" list consisting of Only X members + the sender of the message replied to, if not already included.

Benefits:  Best one I can think of is for the leaders of the guild/order to be able to mass-message all the aspirants to tell them what to do to get to be full members.  Additional uses for Adventurer guilds, etc. to be able to communicate only amongst certain ranks, so don't bother the Higher ups with piddley crap.

Possible Downsides or Exploits:  Uhhh I guess it may make people's lives easier, so that's a downside in some circumstances (adventurers?), as 2nd post pointed out, it makes the exclusion of certain people from guild messages easier (ie top tiers could message fulls only and no other top tiers would see the message).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 04:32:37 PM by Dallben »

Eirikr

Re: Guild/Religion Message Lists by Rank
« Reply #1: September 16, 2015, 10:52:30 PM »
Clarification question:
Would only aspirants see messages here? If the higher ranks are communicating downward, some higher rank will need to get these messages as well, I imagine? Maybe just the highest rank? (Assuming, of course, the "add so-and-so [original sender] to this reply" function is automatically applied, too.)

Dallben

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 18, 2015, 04:28:42 PM »
Yes, sorry.  The intention is to have  message groups that do not have the form "x or higher"

Full currently goes to all BUT aspirant
Elder currently goes to all but Full and Aspirant (ie only top tier)

There's a place and use for message groups X only for the Full and Aspirant members.  Amended OP for clarification.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 19, 2015, 09:09:52 PM »
I am not disliking this idea of seperate message groups for ONLY aspirants and ONLY full members (excluding elders).

However, in light of Elders being able to control what their nobles are talking about, this could be a pain in the ass. Not sure we want that. Currently it could be made so that Elders ALWAYS get ALL letters.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Dallben

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 21, 2015, 04:17:40 PM »
I suppose it depends on what you view those message groups as.  If it's mail that gets sorted and distributed Through the guild, then anything could make sense, including ensuring Elders literally see everything.

If it's just an ease-of-reference list for Nobles/Addies to instruct/bribe their scribes to copy/deliver to, then there's no good reason NOT to have a aspirant + sender only, "member" + sender only list.

For backstory, the request arises out of a silly IC dispute over the annoyance factor of adventurers in a guild sending their Hunting reports just with the link to the Guild, as opposed to just the local area.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 04:24:40 PM by Dallben »

Eirikr

« Reply #5: September 22, 2015, 06:47:52 AM »
For backstory, the request arises out of a silly IC dispute over the annoyance factor of adventurers in a guild sending their Hunting reports just with the link to the Guild, as opposed to just the local area.

I think the problem may be that there seems to be no other major use for such limited lists.

I could see maybe upper echelons forcing the lowers to do petty tasks before they become full members (and not bothering the full members), but that's not much better.

Then again, it's a feature that I don't think would take much to implement (no, I'm not on the dev team or have any concept of what that really means) and would definitely get used to some level.