Author Topic: Government (Not Ruler) vs. Feudal Hierarchy?  (Read 2281 times)

T0mislav

Government (Not Ruler) vs. Feudal Hierarchy?
« Topic Start: September 24, 2015, 11:26:34 AM »
The realm has its Government, but it also has its Feudal Hierarchy.
Only the Ruler is named as part (top) of the Feudal Hierarchy.
What about other Government members?
It can happen that someone from lower ranks in Feudal Hierarchy becomes member of the Government.

The question is:
If a member of the Government talks to someone who is above him in Feudal Hierarchy, who is subordinated to whom?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Government (Not Ruler) vs. Feudal Hierarchy?
« Reply #1: September 24, 2015, 02:05:56 PM »
Generally, I think the answer would be "it depends on the context".

If the Judge is talking to a Duke (who also happens to be his liege) about something the Duke did that might have broken a law, then it should probably be assumed that the Judge has authority over the Duke.

If he's talking to him about the management of his region, or which army he's in, then the Duke is the one in authority.

If it's something more ambiguous...well, then, that's when things get interesting! ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

T0mislav

« Reply #2: September 25, 2015, 01:07:11 AM »
What about a situation when one of realm rural region lords is the general of the realm and talking to one of dukes (who is not his liege) ordering him (at the time of war) to increase militia in his city.
Is general overstepping his authorities by giving such order or is duke mutinying by refusing such order?

Chamberlain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 25, 2015, 03:40:41 AM »
As I see it the General either by appointment of the ruler or by vote into office is given a mandate to Order who the hell he likes when it comes to war... excepting the Ruler who trumps everyone. 

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 25, 2015, 07:12:44 AM »
Unless there is an obvious power difference between two nobles, whoever is in the dominant position depends on context, reputation, experience, charisma, leverage, etc. Oftentimes things are unclear, and your nobles will end up butting heads. Other nobles would then start taking sides or try to mediate. Now you have full-blown intra-realm conflict. This is all by design.

Your nobles will simply have to figure out their pecking order, like adults do in the real world.
------
qui audet vincit

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 25, 2015, 12:37:30 PM »
As I see it the General either by appointment of the ruler or by vote into office is given a mandate to Order who the hell he likes when it comes to war... excepting the Ruler who trumps everyone.

The way I see it, a Duke can simply remove himself from the army and do as he pleases. In most cases, it is in the Duke's best interest to cooperate with the General. The power of the General, as our fluffy Panda said, depends on a lot of factors. Don't forget, Dukes often have a lot of respect within a realm.

What's more interesting, is when a knight becomes a banker or a General and starts butting heads with Lords/Dukes. Funny to see, but then again conflict should be a good part of BM also if you ask me.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela