Author Topic: Optimal character skills training methodology  (Read 2859 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Optimal character skills training methodology
« Topic Start: September 17, 2015, 07:33:38 PM »
Does anyone have any advice or has a guide been written at some point to aid with the optimal training of character skills at an academy? This should address both optimization of "hours" and gold. I assume the two would have different approaches. Also, at what point do each of the trainers in the academy become ineffective or suboptimal. (Note those are different things)

I know the basics but want some more intermediate or advanced information.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Optimal character skills training methodology
« Reply #1: September 17, 2015, 07:42:25 PM »
If you want to use all your hours to train, just use all your hours.

This is one of those things where if the devs ever detect any statistically significant optimizations, we will work to smooth them out so that no particular way of training is better than any other with the same amount of time.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 17, 2015, 07:45:31 PM »
If gold is no barrier, use the best trainer with all hours. Also, if training sword or lance, go to all tournaments.

If gold is limited, use the cheapest trainer possible, but still use all hours. This is a bit slower, but much cheaper.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 17, 2015, 08:24:10 PM »
So I take it my strategy of using the trainer for 3 or 4 hours at a time is not a good one then. I assumed more training sessions = more chance of getting an increase.
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 17, 2015, 08:26:08 PM »
So I take it my strategy of using the trainer for 3 or 4 hours at a time is not a good one then. I assumed more training sessions = more chance of getting an increase.

If anyone ever managed to show me evidence that that was the case (that was actually statistically significant), I would nerf it until it was no longer the case.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 17, 2015, 08:42:15 PM »
If anyone ever managed to show me evidence that that was the case (that was actually statistically significant), I would nerf it until it was no longer the case.

The only way in which I think this could be reliably determined would be in a test environment, ten hours to kill, 30 test characters with unlimited gold and hours. Otherwise, I'll just trust your statement to use all hours then.

If gold is no barrier, use the best trainer with all hours. Also, if training sword or lance, go to all tournaments.

If gold is limited, use the cheapest trainer possible, but still use all hours. This is a bit slower, but much cheaper.

Any idea if there are inflection points on training chances based upon trainer chosen and current skill level? In other words do you experience diminishing returns, linear returns, or some other form.

I'm guessing this is info the Devs wouldn't state definitively but that perhaps some old guard players have experienced with.

In other words, if gold is limited, at what exp levels do you increase tutor levels.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 17, 2015, 09:48:51 PM »
Good to know thanks.

EDIT: I think there's a lower chance of gaining skill when you have a higher skill level. Tybilt has 60 or 65% swordsmanship now and it's mostly been expensive failures to increase it. Even when I used the full 6 hours twice today. It's a expensive and disappointing, but seems pretty realistic.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 09:51:50 PM by Ossan »
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 19, 2015, 09:13:53 PM »
Good to know thanks.

EDIT: I think there's a lower chance of gaining skill when you have a higher skill level. Tybilt has 60 or 65% swordsmanship now and it's mostly been expensive failures to increase it. Even when I used the full 6 hours twice today. It's a expensive and disappointing, but seems pretty realistic.

Well I always thought the higher you get, the lower your chances.. But that's just me thinking out loud.

In my experience, I never use multiple 3/4 hour windows. Always full hours.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)