Author Topic: Closing Continents  (Read 24486 times)

Zakilevo

Re: Closing Continents
« Reply #30: October 18, 2015, 07:06:56 PM »
Many people use their secondary character to boost their 'main' realm's noble count.

Just look at all the big realms. You will see family names repeating quite often.

We have about 150 active players left meaning we will need a small map like EC.

Probably need to change EC a bit to make it more circular or something though since the map is quite flawed.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: October 18, 2015, 08:54:47 PM »
That's the problem with 2 chars on 1 continent. There are some who use them as they're supposed to (i'm a big fan of that as well), but most simply use them as additional swords in the army basically, with little personality to the second char.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: October 18, 2015, 10:24:14 PM »
Sink all continents but one (don't care which one is spared, just have it start in a reset). Keep the war island open, as a sidegame for those who want it. Many will probably leave the game, but hey, it's already desolate in many places.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Zakilevo

« Reply #33: October 18, 2015, 10:59:25 PM »
Sink all continents but one (don't care which one is spared, just have it start in a reset). Keep the war island open, as a sidegame for those who want it. Many will probably leave the game, but hey, it's already desolate in many places.

I agree that we can't take any half assed measure at this point.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: October 19, 2015, 01:08:42 AM »
My question is this: Is this whole thread just talk or is there actually a will to do something from the dev team? This conversation has gone on for years and nothing has happened. If there is serious consideration for ideas on how to do this properly, then it's a good discussion to have. Otherwise, I feel like we're almost wasting our time.

I'm happen to spend some time coming up with different ideas as solutions but I want to know that time is useful.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Zakilevo

« Reply #35: October 19, 2015, 01:42:45 AM »
I think this time they are serious about closing islands. Tom said so himself. It is coming down to which ones to close at this point.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #36: October 19, 2015, 10:12:08 AM »
I think this time they are serious about closing islands. Tom said so himself. It is coming down to which ones to close at this point.

It's also important to not get lost in one hundred other things that could be done. We've been lost in these discussions for years.

Let's focus on the important things, and do them. Table other things for later.

Graeth

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: October 20, 2015, 08:03:41 PM »
The benefit of keeping two islands open seems to me that you could have one SMA/RP and one not. However, I fall on the side that all but War Island (which I'm not even counting) and one other should be closed. Everytime a island is closed people are gonna leave the game. At this point, it would probably be better to close all but one to get that out of the way upfront and give people time to adjust, rather than just closing another in another couple of years. I would suggest opening up Dwilight to 2 characters and keeping that as the last island. Open up the west and if in the far future all of Dwilight is even too much space for the playerbase, it is easy to partition off one of side depending on activity, etc, without losing all of the realms/history.
Geg Family: Elshon (Bel)

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: October 23, 2015, 06:04:46 PM »
FEI is the most interesting continent right now with multiple wars and more about to break out.

Certain top players are working to remodel FEI and make it a lot more interesting without need for dev involvement. Let this be a natural process and not some game mechanic cluster!@#$.

Pretty much every realm on FEI should be at war within two months.

The real problem with the game is a lack of good leaders whose main goal is to provide fun content for their realm and others'. Many players who get rulership spots become obsessed with holding their title and crush any attempt to do anything fun, because that's just too risky to them. These players should be removed from office, not continents removed from the game.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Zakilevo

« Reply #39: October 23, 2015, 06:13:43 PM »
FEI is the most interesting continent right now with multiple wars and more about to break out.

Certain top players are working to remodel FEI and make it a lot more interesting without need for dev involvement. Let this be a natural process and not some game mechanic cluster!@#$.

Pretty much every realm on FEI should be at war within two months.

The real problem with the game is a lack of good leaders whose main goal is to provide fun content for their realm and others'. Many players who get rulership spots become obsessed with holding their title and crush any attempt to do anything fun, because that's just too risky to them. These players should be removed from office, not continents removed from the game.

We tried it. Can't leave the game as it is anymore. Too few people left. We need to close places down before all continents become too empty. It will hurt quite a bit but at least the game will survive for few more years.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: October 24, 2015, 12:00:07 AM »
Rally the Band of the Hawk and cease the great plains of the flat lands and then we shall see where the maidens at the bars and inn take us. Never will we have defeat, never unless defeat be a porch with a sea breeze and women worth it all.

Am I posting on the right post? ::)
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Zakilevo

« Reply #41: October 25, 2015, 11:55:04 PM »
I've been thinking, for closing islands and enforcing character limit, how about putting a soft limit first?

Allow all characters from AT, FEI and BT to be on the island of their choice, but more character you have up more likely they will die. Let's say, if you have 4 characters on ET due to closed continents, since you are 3 characters over the limit, your characters are very likely to die from even a light wound. Also, not just from a battle wound. You can die from infiltrator attacks as well.

When you only have one character per continent, this obvious does not apply and only the standard rule of no character death rule applies unless your character is a hero.

Fuchs

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: October 28, 2015, 03:10:26 AM »
Would it be possible to make a brand new Island while all of the other ones are closing. Make this due to and IG event and slowly move characters over to the new island.

Make this new Island large and have it hold all the original realms that the game started with from all of the closed islands. Give them their main capitol and 3 other regions from their original realm.

This could reboot the game and let people keep their history of their family.

Zakilevo

« Reply #43: October 28, 2015, 03:19:39 AM »
Would it be possible to make a brand new Island while all of the other ones are closing. Make this due to and IG event and slowly move characters over to the new island.

Make this new Island large and have it hold all the original realms that the game started with from all of the closed islands. Give them their main capitol and 3 other regions from their original realm.

This could reboot the game and let people keep their history of their family.

Pretty sure the Dev said no. Because if they want to make a new island, they need to close the game for a year.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: October 28, 2015, 03:21:09 AM »
Pretty sure the Dev said no. Because if they want to make a new island, they need to close the game for a year.

That's not strictly true from my understanding. Designing a new island would take a year. Creating a new island, using a current island map as a template and exact copy could be much easier.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."