Author Topic: Famous Old Characters  (Read 91913 times)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Famous Old Characters
« Reply #135: October 14, 2017, 05:10:55 PM »
Garas is not old enough. And famous/impactful as he may be he's not Selenia famous/impactful. If he was in the past then nothing of that fame prevailed to these days... :(  USE WIKI PEOPLE!

I just noticed that I'm the one to talk. If you look for Bennets in wiki it's still taking you to some weird non-existant family. No idea how to fix it.

Use a different title perhaps? http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/The_Bennet_Family
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #136: October 14, 2017, 07:40:17 PM »
That is actually great stuff Vita! Thanks

And well Mathurin is known because we keep throwing his name around, but Allison was definately a huge impact. Honestly I didn't remember Mathurin, but Seoras kept using it thus so did I. I was anti SA back in the days in the west, but I damn well remember Allison.

Also what is a famous old char? I mean by now Garas is known by all on EC, but does that qualify? I don't really think so, not yet at least, but I suppose that's different for everyone?

Mathurin is known because he was the founder of the game's largest and most successful religion (its current state aside), but indeed, he did not take much room, and it's questionable how much influence he had directly, given how it appears, to me at least, that he preferred letting others make the calls (I'm not in any way saying that's a bad thing, heck, it is likely a large part of why SA grew so much, thus once could say that him not exercing direct impacts made him even more impactful).

As for Brance, I think my mind just merged him and Dragomir together, haha. :P Would explain a few inaccurate memories.

Allison is without question one of Dwilight's most influential characters, in the top 5 at the very least.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

MTYL

• Noble Lord
  • No personal text here, sorry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137: October 14, 2017, 08:18:31 PM »
I must harass some ka Habbs and Renodins for stories then. Sucks to be the new guy.
_____
New family - Arnickles Renodin: Maura(OS), Myr(LN)
Old family - The (dead) Bennets: Max(SF), Joran(VT), Jarra(OS)

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #138: October 14, 2017, 09:57:01 PM »
Garas is not old enough. And famous/impactful as he may be he's not Selenia famous/impactful. If he was in the past then nothing of that fame prevailed to these days... :(  USE WIKI PEOPLE!

I just noticed that I'm the one to talk. If you look for Bennets in wiki it's still taking you to some weird non-existant family. No idea how to fix it.

Garas is indeed too young to be considered (which I agreed with previously also) but I'm not so sure Selenia did more to/for EC than Garas did, but that's a rather pointless discussion as I think neither Selenia or Garas should be considered famous old chars. But by that same logic I think pretty much no char currently alive would apply, save for maybe 1 or 2.

And yeah, I should've used WIKI more...I know
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #139: October 15, 2017, 01:28:39 AM »
Glaumring's still around, I guess that would count as a famous old geezer.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #140: October 16, 2017, 03:51:46 AM »
Glaumring's still around, I guess that would count as a famous old geezer.

Hey now, you're still around too!
We live lives in beautiful lies...

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #141: October 19, 2017, 07:57:08 PM »
That is actually great stuff Vita! Thanks

And well Mathurin is known because we keep throwing his name around, but Allison was definately a huge impact. Honestly I didn't remember Mathurin, but Seoras kept using it thus so did I. I was anti SA back in the days in the west, but I damn well remember Allison.

Also what is a famous old char? I mean by now Garas is known by all on EC, but does that qualify? I don't really think so, not yet at least, but I suppose that's different for everyone?

I'm likewise wondering if Cathal qualifies yet, or perhaps the Colonies are too much of an afterthought?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #142: October 20, 2017, 01:49:05 AM »
Hey now, you're still around too!

Sure, but Machiavel ain't. That old geezer kicked the bucket a while back. I think he was over 70, but I'm pretty sure I never hit 100. Next gen's time.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #143: January 04, 2018, 12:14:08 PM »
2006-08-17    Yao Ling    Began her career in Tara.

Do you think that qualifies as old?

Also I would note that she leads the only religion I think has ever spread across an entire continent, from east to west and north to south.  Every region in Beluaterra.  (not counting the regions with 1 person living there due to oppressive starvation)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #144: January 04, 2018, 05:08:19 PM »
2006-08-17    Yao Ling    Began her career in Tara.

Do you think that qualifies as old?

Also I would note that she leads the only religion I think has ever spread across an entire continent, from east to west and north to south.  Every region in Beluaterra.  (not counting the regions with 1 person living there due to oppressive starvation)

Yea, but a terribly boring one that never really had much noble following, no political influence, and rarely more than her as priest.  ::)

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #145: January 04, 2018, 07:31:28 PM »
She killed the King of Kthonn.

She has served as banker of numerous realms over her lifetime.

She was elected ruler of Nothoi during the last Daimon Invasion to bring it to an end, and oversaw the recreation of a destroyed realm.

She is still a duchess of one of the richest cities and duchies on the continent.

She was hunted personally by Daimons who wanted her religion wiped out, and has hunted them back, hounding them with spell scrolls.

And she personally critically wounded the greater Daimon Jactosh using a magical spell that evaporated her hand, and then regenerated it, along with the rest of her body.

She has lived through four Daimon Invasions, now.

Trust me...she's not lead a very boring life.  ;)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #146: January 04, 2018, 08:47:50 PM »
My comment only applied to the religion, and not the character. ;)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #147: January 04, 2018, 09:11:04 PM »
My general policy has been to not add living characters to the list. However, I definitely think she'll qualify once deceased, so I can add her to the 'waiting list' of living but famous characters. Garas and Glaumring too.

There have been some exceptions, mostly to those who have been paused for several months, or whose characters come from the Near Origins (~2003) of BM. These are quite the rare exception compared to the other names on the lists. I'll consider Glaumring for an exception, due to joining Dwilight so early and still being around. Possibly Karibash too.

Also, I was planning to make it an annual community event (poll each noble on each island) at some point, but I don't know how likely that'll be, with my diminishing engagement level.

Colonies are not an afterthought, though there are decidedly less names there.

Ultimately, as I said above, I'd like to make it an annual event (say, over Christmas/NYW week, when things are more relaxed) where each island's nobles vote on the most worthy noble who deceased/deleted/retired over the past year.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #148: January 05, 2018, 01:02:12 PM »
I think that would be an awesome idea.

Asking each continent which recently/mostly dead people are worthy of inclusion in the "roll of honor" or some such.  :)

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #149: January 06, 2018, 02:40:30 AM »
One can argue that if a year old interested player doesn't know anything about something happening before his time then perhaps that something wasn't that impactful after all. I never heard of this Alison. I've heard plenty about Jonsu and Mathurin.

Allison was the prototype for any schemer. She constantly agitated but was tolerated because she fought like a dog for SA. Made a lot of deals and spread SA a great deal, but if you ask my character he'll tell you she died before most of that, drilled a hole in her head and an imposter took up her place. That was when she went truly off the rails, founded Kabrinskia, claimed to have defeated Mendicant with magic, etc etc. Interesting days.