Author Topic: Dear Atamara...  (Read 50595 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Atamara...
« Topic Start: October 22, 2015, 07:24:05 PM »
Quote from: Jaune
Thats the point now, it will become inside the league now. But when, and will it be too late?(Prolly too late already).
And is it going to be just one member kicked out and gangbanged for fun by rest of the league?
The League has always been extremely resistant to internal upset. It's one of their primary strengths. I can't even begin to count the number of times the League has bent over backward to keep it together, despite serious potential conflicts. Remember when Tara brought Caergoth into the Federation without permission? The League responded by completely busting the federation apart and reforming it without Caergoth.

Ad, honestly, they already got to the point where they felt they had to do something to prevent falling apart due to apathy and inaction. Remember what they did? They picked the only non-League realm that wasn't already fighting and declared war on them. So no, I don't think there will be any change in the League so long as there is a single realm that they're not all allied to. And the other people outside the League think the same way. And they're responding by... abandoning Atamara, just like they have been doing for years.

Quote from: Gabanus
Based on what they're discussing now OOC, there's a plan to form one city realms within the league. I wonder if they can ever reach agrement though and if it would help much.
You mean they're finally starting to realize the abominable state of the island? I suppose it's good that they realized it before it got as bad as FEI. Too bad it's too late to matter.

Also who says Caergoth would never turn on the league? All we've been doing is trying to get Tara to break with the league, although I am now 100% convinced that won't work. Won't stop us from warring Strombran though and going down with a bang.
Suville tried to get Strombran to defy the League, too, even if just temporarily and indirectly. At Strombran's insistence we tried to work with the League to get things to change, and they thumbed their noses at us. We tried to get Strombran to defy the League in even just little ways, and they thumbed their noses at us, too.

Quote from: DeVerci
Why go to war with Strombran when Suville has plenty of regions that are now free game? Heck now you might even get us to fight them on purpose.
That's one way Caergoth could go. Indeed, given the diplomatic situation, they would probably get lots of support, and be able to roll over Suville easily. Some Suville lords may swap sides, and you might even have a further secession or two as the lords scramble to preserve their little fiefdoms.

I can think of several reasons why to NOT just finish wiping out Suville.
1) This war was not one of territorial expansion. It's a matter of principle and honor. Riverholm is literally the only thing they wanted. By claiming Riverholm for their own, Strombran practically guaranteed that Caergoth will attack.
2) Both Caergoth and Suville have been treated like !@#$ by Tara and Strombran. They've been used and abused throughout this entire war. The message non-League realms are getting: If you're not one of the Big Three, you're !@#$. (Although I personally have my suspicions that the League is really CE/Tara, and Strombran is politely accorded the status of red headed stepchild: tolerated and allowed to use the smallest bedroom, but not *really* one of the family.)
3) Assume that Caergoth goes ahead and wipes out Suville, and takes all their land. Or maybe splits it with the Grand Duchy. What then? Now they're completely surrounded by League nations. And Strombran has already made it crystal clear that war against any single League realm means all out war with *all* League realms. (Tara has almost certainly said the same to Caergoth.) Once Suville is gone they're choice would be to sit in their corner and die of boredom, or attack the League and get gangbanged. Do you want to attack the League *before* you've wiped out everyone that could help you, or *after*?
4) Assuming that Caergoth wipes out Suville, some nobles of Suville will doubtless abandon the region rather than change allegiance to Caergoth or Wayburg. This reduces the total pool of nobles in the region even further, making future actions more difficult when the inevitable decision is made to go after a League realm. (Inevitable because, you know, they'll be all that's left...)
5) War with Suville is, essentially, zero risk. Boring. I know that's the way the League likes things, but it's that kind of "easy, low risk" attitude that got us where we are now.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.