Author Topic: Character limit changes  (Read 57592 times)

daviceroy

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Character limit changes
« Reply #15: October 28, 2015, 06:06:14 PM »
With the changes going through in November, will it force us to decide immediately or will we have a window in which to remove a character, move it, etc?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: October 28, 2015, 06:07:22 PM »
There will be a warning, and a period during which to move the characters.

It is likely (but not yet decided) that there will be a relaxing of the emigration penalties during that time.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Eirikr

« Reply #17: October 28, 2015, 06:13:21 PM »
First of all, apologies for the confusion. It wasn't intended for continent-restrictions to be live *yet*. There was a bug (or more accurately, I overlooked something), that resulted in the GM messages being distributed for anyone with 2 characters on an island (whether they were noble or advy). Tim has rolled back those changes for now.

When they *are* live, it will be one actively-played noble and one active-played advy per island. Emigration restrictions/penalties at that time may be temporarily softened.

I just logged in and still got the GM message - I'm assuming that's just how the GM system works and it's not possible to revoke the message despite rolling back the effective change?

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: October 28, 2015, 06:28:51 PM »
I saw the message and immediately knew it was a bug since I read the update message which clearly says it wasn't going to happen until next month and BM is well known for bugs after it gets updated. I got the message on Dwilight since I have an advy and Noble there (and advy I was hoping to make into a noble, trying to get that done now so I can emigrate her). I didn't have to do anything with my characters though.

As for the change in limits itself, it's probably for the best. Though it definitely sucks for people who already have two characters that they actually put effort into both of them for RP. They should be given enough time to wrap up business for one character if they are going to emigrate them and come up with a reason why they are leaving.
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

daviceroy

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: October 28, 2015, 07:43:29 PM »
Will we be sinking islands as a direct result of character counts being lowered by this policy or will more ice come?  Right now, AT was barely able to be running before this rule.  After this, we have too many regions with too few lords.  I believe this also applies to other islands as well including at least Beluaterra.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: October 28, 2015, 07:51:53 PM »
There will be no new ice involved in the process.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Fuor Family

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: October 28, 2015, 08:17:31 PM »
Thank God, that ice was the worst idea ever. Until this one, that is.

So, the post says the changes have been rolled back, yet I'm still unable to log in to any of my five active nobles (not counting the war islands character) without pausing someone. I get no chance to wind down my existing characters before pausing? Since absolutely NO notice was given, which is absurd.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: October 28, 2015, 08:26:57 PM »
Thank God, that ice was the worst idea ever. Until this one, that is.

So, the post says the changes have been rolled back, yet I'm still unable to log in to any of my five active nobles (not counting the war islands character) without pausing someone. I get no chance to wind down my existing characters before pausing? Since absolutely NO notice was given, which is absurd.

Yes, as has been said, this was unintentional. The character-per-continent limit change was a bug. When it does happen, there will be plenty of warning.

For now, please confirm for me that you actually can't play, and it's not just a nasty-looking message that sits there and glares at you as you go on your merry way ignoring it. If it's actually preventing you from playing, then there's more fixing work we need to do.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Fuor Family

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: October 28, 2015, 08:28:07 PM »
I just submitted a bug report on it. I cannot play. The only option given me is to pause or delete someone.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: October 28, 2015, 08:34:10 PM »
I just submitted a bug report on it. I cannot play. The only option given me is to pause or delete someone.

OK, thanks. For the time being, I have temporarily disabled the character limit checks. Please let me know if this fixes your immediate issue.
Timothy Collett

Fuor Family

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: October 28, 2015, 08:36:06 PM »
Yes, that solved my issue. Thank you, I now get to begin working on slimming down, apparently.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: October 28, 2015, 09:48:13 PM »
Oh great, disable it right after I pause my ruler character on FEI... :p

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: October 28, 2015, 10:13:17 PM »

Dante Silverfire is absolutely right about the single character thing. Multiple characters per island results in many, many problems. Disposable characters, drones, zombies, etc. People will have their "main" take the positions, and then use their "alt" to do the boring scout tasks that no one in their right mind would want to do. Positions are given to the Duke's second character, because you know you can trust him. Realms A and B never go to war or have disagreements because all the key players in both realms are the same, just with different titles. The Marshal of the army of Realm A moves to attack because "my cousin in Realm B told me the attack arrives at sunset". Second characters are often ignored, and used as nothing more than faceless/mindless troop leaders who's only purpose is to provide more muscle for the army.

Yes, some people may play their characters as separate entities. And some may even play them as possibly working against each other. But I don't think anyone really feels that applies to the majority of dual-character families, especially when the characters play in the same realm.

Remember that islands change. The play experience on most islands changes dramatically over time. Give a different island an honest chance. Just because you hated Dwilight in 2009, the year after it opened, doesn't mean that you will hate it today, six years later. None of the realms from back then even exist anymore. Similarly, EC has undergone great changes in the past two or three years, as has BT. Well, OK, Atamara hasn't changed one damn bit until today, but there's always an exception. ;)

Zakilevo

« Reply #28: October 28, 2015, 10:37:26 PM »
The prime example of two character on the same continent problem mainly comes from CE federation. For years, they haven't gone to war with each other. AT became the very definition of stagnation and boredom. EC was like that for awhile but somehow overcame that. Then again EC never became an issue as AT.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: October 28, 2015, 10:49:57 PM »
The prime example of two character on the same continent problem mainly comes from CE federation. For years, they haven't gone to war with each other. AT became the very definition of stagnation and boredom. EC was like that for awhile but somehow overcame that. Then again EC never became an issue as AT.

I can attest to that, and I wasn't even in the federation. (For most of my time there.) We were simply an ally of CE. I was the Ruler of a realm, but I also had a second character as a troop leader, and eventually region lord then Duke. The Duke, I quickly stepped down though, because that was just too much consolidated power.

The problem is that no matter the intention, usually two characters are played together so that their realm is stronger. That's not a good situation.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."