Author Topic: Character limit changes  (Read 58242 times)

Zakilevo

Re: Character limit changes
« Reply #165: November 17, 2015, 06:15:26 PM »
So here we go again. You want to play 'your game' when others want to play their games. If you want to change something you will have to learn some programming and join the dev team so you understand what volunteering is like.

Just simply demanding won't do anything. People just don't seem to understand how much work is being put into this game by some of our most dedicated people's spare time. Instead of complaining about everything why don't you appreciate the changes?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 08:59:08 PM by Lapallanch »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166: November 17, 2015, 08:28:21 PM »
feyeleanor: those are some great ideas. Unfortunately, the vast majority of them will require to much coding work to even consider. I wish we could, but we can't. We have to work with what we have, and the minimal time available to do new things.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #167: November 18, 2015, 08:53:10 AM »
Instead of complaining about everything why don't you appreciate the changes?

Because we don't like them.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #168: November 18, 2015, 01:03:56 PM »
No, you assume you won't like them. A noteworthy distinction I believe.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #169: November 19, 2015, 08:34:16 AM »
So here we go again. You want to play 'your game' when others want to play their games. If you want to change something you will have to learn some programming and join the dev team so you understand what volunteering is like.

Just simply demanding won't do anything. People just don't seem to understand how much work is being put into this game by some of our most dedicated people's spare time. Instead of complaining about everything why don't you appreciate the changes?
Er, I happen to know some programming. Though my skills are beginner at best, as my work revolves around supporting instead of development. But what programming languages do the game utilize? :o

I do share same feeling with feyeleanor on some parts.

Should you want more players willing to take on the additional responsibilities, there are a few obvious examples around. There are many vacant region lordships, and there are still some players who prefer to become knights rather than region lords. The amount of regions are more than the amount of characters. Maybe make an earthquake event and cause one region to go down under, like Atlantis. Maybe we can do a quick survey in game why they do not want to be region lord.

On participations and the active players spread their efforts ever thinner. I agree mostly with feyeleanor. I am active player(Does not take a quick check to see my characters are Rulers, Banker, General, Marshal, Vice Marshal, Judge, Region Lord and Duke) and I used to contribute RolePlays(RP) frequently in the past, though there is less RP from my characters nowadays. Battlemaster game in its very first page does say it is about 15 minutes play for the game. But the higher positions you rise through the ranks, the more times you need to play. Your characters need reply to other players letters, involve in your realm affairs and if your characters known other realm contacts, they also need to keep in touch. An active player like myself, probably devote quite sometime to the game as so many other players as well. We may not involve on one island so much, but we do participate on another island. So to ask the second character to migrate from current island to another island, most active players probably won't do it. We may even consider to focus our efforts on our what-do-we-call the best character or a primary character that we love to play with.

I have been thinking since the new proposed game change is posted to the login page. Why not make Adventurer and Priests not counted as second character? Since we already consider Adventurer as not counted in this new change. But do not give them ability to command troops or use scouts at all.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #170: November 19, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »
Er, I happen to know some programming. Though my skills are beginner at best, as my work revolves around supporting instead of development. But what programming languages do the game utilize? :o

The game is written in PHP, using the Doctrine ORM framework to interact with its MySQL database (at least, where it's been updated to do so).

If you would like to join the dev team and help out, you would be more than welcome. However, bear in mind that that wouldn't be a blank check to implement whatever you want; you'd have to make sure that your code was accepted by...well, these days, basically me. That said, a lot of the things feyeleanor suggested were good ideas, just lacking in dev time to implement them. So if you were willing to put in that time, there would be no mandate that you participate in handling the major changes that have been announced and those that will be announced shortly. You could write code for new features, so long as you were also willing to help keep those features bug-free.

But the changes are going ahead now, whatever happens.

Well, I mean, unless we get another 300 active, permanent players within the next few days. But that doesn't strike me as terribly likely.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #171: November 19, 2015, 04:03:19 PM »
Anaris I do assume that all changes have been thought over, also in a grand scheme of things? Unless the 2 to 1 char brings in enough fresh blood on the continents, it should be combined with nerfs on the militia for instance. Although I'm shooting my own foot by saying this, sieging cities is nearly impossible. Oligarch is so well protected that you'd currently need at least half the continent teaming up to siege it pretty much. Granted, my char doesn't mind, but overall it's a bit strange that not even Sirion/Caligus can siege Oligarch. Taking into account that Sirion will lose 10 nobles or so with the char limit, although that's their issue. With Sirion in more trouble, Oligarch will be virtually untouchable, just to name an example.

At this point the rulers are already pushing for smaller realms to begin with, making them unbeatable however seems to be a bit much if you ask me XD
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #172: November 19, 2015, 04:14:42 PM »
Just a quibble with the oligarch thing: sirion only brought half their nobles, and do did Caligus. If they had both brought all their nobles leading full units, they had a good chance of breaking the city.

Having said that, I do agree that militia right now is too powerful.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #173: November 19, 2015, 10:39:23 PM »
Sirion also has courtiers and priests which can't even bring an effective unit to battle and prob a few inactive chars as well. What they brought is pretty much all they can bring from the looks of it. In addition to this, this wasn't the limit for Oligarch either. The only reason I didn't recruit more militia was because we already outnumbered them and had lvl 5 walls.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #174: November 20, 2015, 01:14:45 AM »
Just a quibble with the oligarch thing: sirion only brought half their nobles, and do did Caligus. If they had both brought all their nobles leading full units, they had a good chance of breaking the city.

Having said that, I do agree that militia right now is too powerful.

Especially if they were properly outfitted with the correct number of siege engines. All you have to do is destroy the lvl 5 walls, and you should be able to destroy the lvl 4 walls in the next assault, before lvl 5 can be built.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Zakilevo

« Reply #175: November 20, 2015, 02:55:50 AM »
Sirion also has courtiers and priests which can't even bring an effective unit to battle and prob a few inactive chars as well. What they brought is pretty much all they can bring from the looks of it. In addition to this, this wasn't the limit for Oligarch either. The only reason I didn't recruit more militia was because we already outnumbered them and had lvl 5 walls.

I have to agree with this. The main problem is not everyone is a warrior and we are starting to see more inactive people. So noble count is not a good indicator of your realm's strength anymore.

Even for an active realm you can only expect 80% at most to show up. Usually it is 60% at best. Gold is more abundant than years ago, militia is stronger than before but we now have A LOT less people to actually do the attacking.

Either militia has to be weakened to compensate the lower noble count or the whole siege mechanic must be changed. Instead of having one huge battle, it will have to be broken down into multiple smaller battles. Maybe each battle only lasting 5 rounds instead of 25 rounds. So many siege battles will end in draws but with some changes preventing the defender from reinforcing militia after a recent battle, it will change how siege battles are carried out.

Or you will have to change how the repairing fortification actually works. Instead of doing it by % you can do it by blocks. Let's say you need 500 blocks for lv5. After a battle, you lose 30 blocks. It will require you to rebuild those 30 blocks to regain lv5 wall bonus. Until then you will only get lv4 bonus.

Something needs to be done about militia and siege or else you will never see a siege battle anymore. With starvation hardly happening, you will see realms staying at 1 city region to hold out against enemies indefinitely unless you are a fresh new realm with your ruler not having any gold to do anything which in these days is a rare kind due to the abundance of gold.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #176: November 20, 2015, 03:25:08 AM »
I have to agree with this. The main problem is not everyone is a warrior and we are starting to see more inactive people. So noble count is not a good indicator of your realm's strength anymore.

Even for an active realm you can only expect 80% at most to show up. Usually it is 60% at best. Gold is more abundant than years ago, militia is stronger than before but we now have A LOT less people to actually do the attacking.

Either militia has to be weakened to compensate the lower noble count or the whole siege mechanic must be changed. Instead of having one huge battle, it will have to be broken down into multiple smaller battles. Maybe each battle only lasting 5 rounds instead of 25 rounds. So many siege battles will end in draws but with some changes preventing the defender from reinforcing militia after a recent battle, it will change how siege battles are carried out.

Or you will have to change how the repairing fortification actually works. Instead of doing it by % you can do it by blocks. Let's say you need 500 blocks for lv5. After a battle, you lose 30 blocks. It will require you to rebuild those 30 blocks to regain lv5 wall bonus. Until then you will only get lv4 bonus.

Something needs to be done about militia and siege or else you will never see a siege battle anymore. With starvation hardly happening, you will see realms staying at 1 city region to hold out against enemies indefinitely unless you are a fresh new realm with your ruler not having any gold to do anything which in these days is a rare kind due to the abundance of gold.

The issue is you aren't bringing siege engines. I haven't seen anyone in Sirion mentioning anything about bringing them.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #177: November 20, 2015, 03:47:39 AM »
They had something like 50 in that last big battle. Not quite enough, but not none, that's for sure.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #178: November 20, 2015, 04:02:45 AM »
They had something like 50 in that last big battle. Not quite enough, but not none, that's for sure.

50 isn't really anything. Even with 25 nobles in an attack, you should be able to field well over 100 siege engines.

Bring 1 siege engine per 10-15 troops. Per 10 if possible. With 50-60 man units you're talking about 4 or 5 siege engines per noble.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Zakilevo

« Reply #179: November 20, 2015, 04:10:22 AM »
50 isn't really anything. Even with 25 nobles in an attack, you should be able to field well over 100 siege engines.

Bring 1 siege engine per 10-15 troops. Per 10 if possible. With 50-60 man units you're talking about 4 or 5 siege engines per noble.

Never in my time in BM have I seen people bring 100 siege engines in a single battle from a single realm.

SEs don't really help you win against 42k(30k militia) CS of defenders though. Sure you will mitigate the wall advantage a bit but then what? You don't see realms being able to field 42k CS anymore. At best Sirion can field 25k CS but they can only bring 70% of that even with a 2 turn move. So at the end, Oligarch is literally unbreakable because Sirion can't make people bring more than 50 SEs and more men - they are maxed out already.

It is really easy to say 'oh why didn't they bring more SEs? 100 SEs would have broken those walls!'. Typically from people who have never led armies seriously against walled opponents I must say. If you've led a realm in the recent past, you will know how hard it is to siege a city these days. Even if you win you get screwed by peasants afterward.

Also, SEs take forever to be created... If you take 2 months to get ready, your enemies will probably be ready to repel you more.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:12:45 AM by Lapallanch »