Author Topic: Character limit changes  (Read 57693 times)

Zakilevo

Re: Character limit changes
« Reply #195: November 23, 2015, 11:20:20 PM »
Can we at least have a period of advance warning (i.e. a fixed date) before the change occurs? A week or two in which to disentangle from ongoing commitments would make this less traumatic for everyone.

Pretty sure something as major as this will get at least a warning a week advance. People will need time to think on which character they want to move and to where.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #196: November 23, 2015, 11:52:42 PM »
There will be at least a week of advance warning. At this point, the only thing in question is when Tom will actually fix the admin site so that we can set our final dates.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

« Reply #197: November 24, 2015, 12:47:16 AM »
There will be at least a week of advance warning. At this point, the only thing in question is when Tom will actually fix the admin site so that we can set our final dates.
Keep bugging him Tim :D

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #198: November 24, 2015, 04:16:06 AM »
The game is written in PHP, using the Doctrine ORM framework to interact with its MySQL database (at least, where it's been updated to do so).

If you would like to join the dev team and help out, you would be more than welcome. However, bear in mind that that wouldn't be a blank check to implement whatever you want; you'd have to make sure that your code was accepted by...well, these days, basically me. That said, a lot of the things feyeleanor suggested were good ideas, just lacking in dev time to implement them. So if you were willing to put in that time, there would be no mandate that you participate in handling the major changes that have been announced and those that will be announced shortly. You could write code for new features, so long as you were also willing to help keep those features bug-free.

But the changes are going ahead now, whatever happens.

Well, I mean, unless we get another 300 active, permanent players within the next few days. But that doesn't strike me as terribly likely.
Hmmmm, SQL is my forte right now as I keep using it in my daily work tasks. PHP, I almost forgot it all. Not sure I will have much time to do it, but I can try help out a bit every now and then. Now where do I sign up? Is there any requirement I need to aware of beside all these above? :)

On the changes going ahead, yes I understand. As long as we got advance warning to migrate, pause or delete our secondary character, that is all fine with me.

On getting new players. I do tried promoting this game on Facebook to my friends, but not many people interested. Some say no graphic, too much letters to read and some like to click, click. Well, you get what the new generation like to do :P
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #199: November 26, 2015, 09:28:44 PM »
This is a great change. One character per continent allows reputation and your actions to be crucial. Dwilight has long been my favorite continent because the conflict between characters and families that much more permanent. And over the years of dealing with certain names it helps to create some awesome diplomatic dynamics, especially when after long years as enemies the fates have changed and you find yourself in a realm having to work with those same people.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #200: November 27, 2015, 12:56:12 AM »
I don't think it's meaningful to think much in terms of families when there's only one character per island, except perhaps for those families who habitually acquire power. The sense of a family inheritance or of a younger generation serving in the ranks whilst the older wields political power requires either a lot of RP or more than one character.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #201: November 27, 2015, 05:42:32 AM »
I don't think it's meaningful to think much in terms of families when there's only one character per island, except perhaps for those families who habitually acquire power. The sense of a family inheritance or of a younger generation serving in the ranks whilst the older wields political power requires either a lot of RP or more than one character.

You've never seen a Kabrinsky at work then. Even now that name causes those in power to shudder in fear on Dwilight.

Zakilevo

« Reply #202: November 27, 2015, 06:36:26 AM »
You've never seen a Kabrinsky at work then. Even now that name causes those in power to shudder in fear on Dwilight.

Not really. Not anymore. Kabrinski doesn't have the same influence they once had. They were one of the most influential families in the island's history but who is afraid of Kabrinski these days?

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #203: November 27, 2015, 07:22:25 AM »
Especially after the massive fail on fei
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #204: November 27, 2015, 11:02:49 AM »
I meant IC, not OOC. Thus the mentioning of rulers and not "players".

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #205: November 27, 2015, 03:08:13 PM »
Not really. Not anymore. Kabrinski doesn't have the same influence they once had. They were one of the most influential families in the island's history but who is afraid of Kabrinski these days?

Good.  It makes my job easier when I am underestimated.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206: November 27, 2015, 03:09:59 PM »
Yes, there are some family names that matter, even in the single character island. People learn families, and families gain history and reputation. Even cross-island history matters. Just doing take it to an extreme.

Kabrinski is a big name, even if it doesn't make people shiver in fear.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #207: November 29, 2015, 03:35:23 PM »
Family name matters if only for familiarity reasons. If you're considering two candidates, and you only recognize one name, the familiar one will tend to win. Also, there are connections you can draw upon for support. I did this plenty of times when I was playing as the Silverfires. I highly doubt an RP'ed marriage into the Kabrinski family would have ever occurred otherwise as just one example. Or my quick recognition to regain influence with a new character in Luria. Although, that's much more regional family ties.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."