Author Topic: Forced usage of the mobile site for phone users  (Read 6228 times)

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Forced usage of the mobile site for phone users
« Topic Start: November 16, 2015, 10:48:49 AM »
This is extremely frustrating. I previously was able to use the full site from my phone, now I can't. I'm automatically forwarded to the mobile site.

I can't stand the layout of the mobile site. Travel is messed up on it. Overall this change is extremely annoying.

People who want to use mobile will use mobile all on their own without a forced forward. It brings zero net benefit to the players of this game to force people logging in from a phone to use the mobile site. Give us the choice, please.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 10:50:29 AM by JDodger »
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Forced usage of the mobile site for phone users
« Reply #1: November 16, 2015, 04:19:45 PM »
Two things:

First: this is new, and I don't think planned. Tom has made some server changes lately. This appears to have come with it.

Second: check to see if your browser has the option to request the desktop site instead. Chrome does, and I think others do as well.

Personally, I find the desktop site unusable on my phone.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 16, 2015, 10:49:14 PM »
I, for one, welcome our new mobile site overlord.

Seriously though, I'm super stoked that at least now the sidebar isn't ALL OVER the page anymore.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 16, 2015, 11:07:42 PM »
It's the same site that's been available at m.BattleMaster.org for years.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 16, 2015, 11:16:19 PM »
It's the same site that's been available at m.BattleMaster.org for years.

YOU WILL NOT DULL MY TRIUMPH!

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 17, 2015, 01:37:04 AM »
I have always used the main site on my phone so that I can have much easier use. I don't like the change if it is intentional long term.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 17, 2015, 02:05:13 AM »
Why do you think the main site is easier?

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 17, 2015, 03:35:44 AM »
It's a matter of personal taste. I prefer having the sidebar rather than having to scroll up to the top of the screen all the time. The travel menu on mobile is all messed up and weird, I haven't been able to get routefinder to work at all. With a new char on colonies and zero previous experience with the island, that is a bit frustrating.

Then again others may have trouble with the sidebar, or not care about routefinder, and prefer the more streamlined feel of the mobile site. It definitely has its good points, they just don't outweigh the bad for me. I'd prefer to use the main site.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 17, 2015, 04:10:28 AM »
Why do you think the main site is easier?

I can access the sidebar at any point. I just zoom in and click on the link I want. This saves a bunch of time when you have dozens of messages blocking the links at the top.

There is also the matter of uniformity from how I play on my computer.

The major appeal is definitely the ability to click links on the sidebar at any time.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 17, 2015, 07:23:06 AM »
I can access the sidebar at any point. I just zoom in and click on the link I want. This saves a bunch of time when you have dozens of messages blocking the links at the top.

There is also the matter of uniformity from how I play on my computer.

The major appeal is definitely the ability to click links on the sidebar at any time.

I don't know why anyone would use full site on mobile. It's buggy as all hell on a mobile browser.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Every mobile device is different. While the sidebar acts up occasionally on mine I still like the main site better.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I can't stand the side menu on my phone. Takes up half the screen, and just gets in the way. The top menus are a bit annoying, but at least they get out of the way when your trying to read stuff.

And the route finder? I don't think I've used it more than half a dozen times. Ever.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I just want the option. Now I can't even access the main site when I try to remove the mobile in the html.

Never hurt anyone before.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Tell your browser to force the desktop site. All decent mobile browsers should be able to do it.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Tell your browser to force the desktop site. All decent mobile browsers should be able to do it.

I never realized I could do that. Thank you.

Working great now