Author Topic: The Future  (Read 23960 times)

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
The Future
« Topic Start: November 25, 2015, 12:38:16 PM »
It appears the Colonies will be subject to the same character restrictions as other islands, and this will take a pretty heavy toll of active characters. 27 out of 84 will either have to be paused or move to other islands.

We've all worked very hard in the last couple of years to change the island's dynamics and return it to a healthy state, breaking apart the large empires into smaller realms which have to work through alliance and creating the Colonial Senate to provide a forum for cross-realm conversation.

I'm wondering to what extent other players believe these changes are sustainable once the character changes kick in - especially given that we're going to lose a number of characters with deep roots in the island's history.

As a slow-paced island I don't hold out much hope of us acquiring and keeping a large number of fresh characters from other islands - though it would be wonderful if we did: back when I started playing in 2007 there were a couple of dozen characters in Alowca alone, several major wars and at least seven active religions.

Even with an active war between 6 realms I fear we don't offer the instant hit of action and game success which many players demand when they do try out the Colonies. I should add that so far it's been an interesting war of manoeuvre and not the usual grind of win-battle-then-launch-TO which characterises so many wars on other islands.

Is it time to reconsider the new Colonial order and consolidate into a smaller number of realms? That seems like a regressive step to me but perhaps I've become too focused on keeping Minas Thalion alive to have an objective view of what's good for the island as a whole.

Or is there some other direction we can head in, respecting the history of the island (which I think has been a motivating factor for all the current rulers) whilst also increasing involvement for newer characters?