Author Topic: The Future  (Read 23978 times)

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
The Future
« Topic Start: November 25, 2015, 12:38:16 PM »
It appears the Colonies will be subject to the same character restrictions as other islands, and this will take a pretty heavy toll of active characters. 27 out of 84 will either have to be paused or move to other islands.

We've all worked very hard in the last couple of years to change the island's dynamics and return it to a healthy state, breaking apart the large empires into smaller realms which have to work through alliance and creating the Colonial Senate to provide a forum for cross-realm conversation.

I'm wondering to what extent other players believe these changes are sustainable once the character changes kick in - especially given that we're going to lose a number of characters with deep roots in the island's history.

As a slow-paced island I don't hold out much hope of us acquiring and keeping a large number of fresh characters from other islands - though it would be wonderful if we did: back when I started playing in 2007 there were a couple of dozen characters in Alowca alone, several major wars and at least seven active religions.

Even with an active war between 6 realms I fear we don't offer the instant hit of action and game success which many players demand when they do try out the Colonies. I should add that so far it's been an interesting war of manoeuvre and not the usual grind of win-battle-then-launch-TO which characterises so many wars on other islands.

Is it time to reconsider the new Colonial order and consolidate into a smaller number of realms? That seems like a regressive step to me but perhaps I've become too focused on keeping Minas Thalion alive to have an objective view of what's good for the island as a whole.

Or is there some other direction we can head in, respecting the history of the island (which I think has been a motivating factor for all the current rulers) whilst also increasing involvement for newer characters?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: The Future
« Reply #1: November 30, 2015, 07:44:39 PM »
Just a bit of a devil's advocate style question here: If the colonies disappeared, would even the player playing there notice? I've been on the colonies in Assassins for a week now, and only seen a single message, a welcome from the ruler. Got my first tax from my estate: 4 whole coins.

There are nearly a dozen regions that don't even appear on the map, making travel a royal bitch. Just about all regions seem to be extremely poor.

I just kind of have to ask: Is there a point to the Colonies at all?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Moto_o

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 01, 2015, 12:19:30 AM »
Isn't the island around to punish infiltrators who fail at their mission?

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 01, 2015, 12:59:10 AM »
Just a bit of a devil's advocate style question here: If the colonies disappeared, would even the player playing there notice? I've been on the colonies in Assassins for a week now, and only seen a single message, a welcome from the ruler. Got my first tax from my estate: 4 whole coins.

There are nearly a dozen regions that don't even appear on the map, making travel a royal bitch. Just about all regions seem to be extremely poor.

Some of us enjoy it :)

The Assassins is a bit of a backwater if you're playing a warrior there but they're a good place for a trader, priest or infiltrator. We've an island-wide treaty to protect Assassins infiltrators from execution or deportation, and Shadowism is one of the three still-active religions along with Horde of Honour and Apostles of the Abyss. There's currently a religious war between Shadowism and the Apostles.

There are six realms in a 3-on-3 war at present so if you're looking for action you can move south and join either the Tilogian/Wetham alliance or Aren/MT/Oritolon.

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 01, 2015, 02:28:22 AM »
With it's appeal being the slower pace of play, many of those on the Colonies don't use the forums, or do so very occasionally.

Best way to get an accurate response would be to join the Colonial Senate guild (with members from every realm) and ask there.
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

jdsiii

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 08, 2015, 03:25:07 PM »

Just because we don't message you doesn't mean we don't see you there.  Most infiltrators have minimal communication by design.

As for the map, hell yes it would be nice to have the map updated but since it's the Colonies it never gets much love in the keep it up to date department and I don't see that changing now especially if more characters leave due to the emigration.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 08, 2015, 03:56:59 PM »
So you don't speak much. I can understand that. As the one turn a day island I expected less activity. So here's the question: did you not talk because I'm an experienced player? Or do you treat even new players this way?

I'm curious about this, honestly. Many years ago I started a character in a realm that my recently dead hero had been fighting. The realm went for almost a full month with only a single realm wide message. When I commented about it, i got some very hostile ooc responses ranging from "we don't want you here, go away" to "you're an experienced player, we shouldn't have to talk to say hi".

It seems to me that when someone joins your realm, especially when your realm has no history with that character/family, someone should say hi. That's just being friendly.

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 08, 2015, 05:56:13 PM »
I can't comment on other realms but I usually contact new characters in MT as soon as I notice them (generally the same day) with details of what the realm's up to. But even with a major war there are still weeks when there's nothing much to be said.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 08, 2015, 06:03:48 PM »
I don't know about Assassins, although I'll trust Indirik's opinion on it. Outer Tilog, however, is probably the friendliest realm I've ever been to. In their own, special way.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: December 08, 2015, 08:08:13 PM »
The regions not having names on the map thing seems to be by design, as the Colonies are a "wilder place where many things are different".
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: December 08, 2015, 08:13:26 PM »
Not having region borders is intentional. The lack of names is leftover from a map redesign in 2012 where the background map with the text centered in each region was never replaced.

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: December 08, 2015, 08:37:47 PM »
Well I'll give the Colonies a try then, although it seems I best avoid Assasins then :)
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: December 08, 2015, 09:19:14 PM »
Don't give too much weight to my single experience. I've only been there for a couple days, and my questions were answered by the ruler at some length. I just expected a bit more of an initial greeting.

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: December 08, 2015, 09:35:53 PM »
Don't give too much weight to my single experience. I've only been there for a couple days, and my questions were answered by the ruler at some length. I just expected a bit more of an initial greeting.

Well I also heard they're super poor and I have to train my infil skills first anyway.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: December 08, 2015, 10:22:17 PM »
We're not THAT poor. If you count the last two taxes together, I got five gold!

Umm.... Maybe we are poor.