Author Topic: The Big Announcement  (Read 27802 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: The Big Announcement
« Reply #30: December 03, 2015, 05:58:25 PM »
I just started playing this game one month ago. I've been having a lot of fun playing my character on Atamara. Now I feel I am going to drown in the new areas, trampled by the tidal wave of new players jockeying for power in these new realms. I'm just not sure what I'm even doing as I've never emigrated before. I wish it wasn't sinking. I dread the thought of starting this process over... There's not even an option for my adventurer to emigrate.

That last part, I'm working on right now. It just wasn't quite ready in time for the announcement.

I understand the reasoning behind it, I'm just sad and unsure of how I will move and how I will make it in a new land. I don't even know if any of my realm-mates will be moving, as most of them already have characters on those islands.

*shrug*

I guess I don't really have a choice...

One of the things this will mean is that every continent will be put into turmoil. That means more chance for an enterprising character to make a difference and make a name, whether or not they're already a prominent figure.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: December 03, 2015, 07:59:09 PM »
Whelp, it's been fun. If I'm going to have to pause one of my two active characters, might as well pause the other one too and just be done with BM entirely. I just don't have time to play on the more active islands and roleplay as I would like to, which is why I've mostly stayed on the Colonies. This act just limits my ability to interact with the game, so why bother at all? Good luck on your future endeavors, and getting and keeping new players, this old player is done.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: December 03, 2015, 08:32:18 PM »
Whelp, it's been fun. If I'm going to have to pause one of my two active characters, might as well pause the other one too and just be done with BM entirely. I just don't have time to play on the more active islands and roleplay as I would like to, which is why I've mostly stayed on the Colonies. This act just limits my ability to interact with the game, so why bother at all? Good luck on your future endeavors, and getting and keeping new players, this old player is done.

If you've been mostly on Colonies, how would any of this affect you? Colonies isn't going anywhere right now.

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: December 03, 2015, 08:34:31 PM »
If you've been mostly on Colonies, how would any of this affect you? Colonies isn't going anywhere right now.

It does for the 20+ people that have two characters there to play at the slower pace and will now either have to have a drone in a faster island or pause someone.
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: December 03, 2015, 08:37:36 PM »
I just started playing this game one month ago. I've been having a lot of fun playing my character on Atamara. Now I feel I am going to drown in the new areas, trampled by the tidal wave of new players jockeying for power in these new realms. I'm just not sure what I'm even doing as I've never emigrated before. I wish it wasn't sinking. I dread the thought of starting this process over... There's not even an option for my adventurer to emigrate.

I understand the reasoning behind it, I'm just sad and unsure of how I will move and how I will make it in a new land. I don't even know if any of my realm-mates will be moving, as most of them already have characters on those islands.

*shrug*

I guess I don't really have a choice...

Well currently Helyg Derwyddon on Dwilight is looking for a Lord, we're at war, and the diplomacy of Dwilight is slippery as ice at times. You don't HAVE to go to the new realms, it's just an option. You can still go to an existing realm as well.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: December 03, 2015, 08:58:06 PM »
Islands are quiet enough in most places, I don't think there's a large difference in 'game speed' even with twice the turns.

Dallben

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Dwilight
« Reply #36: December 03, 2015, 10:31:15 PM »
Well I'm happy at least there's going to be a new realm in Western Dwilight, and one hopes that the Monster/Undead AI changes will result in a different dynamic.  I was also hoping to see a meaningful change with respect to militia usage so there's a much higher likelihood of capitols getting conquered, but I suppose one thing at a time.  I guess also there may be a trickle-down effect as the new AI will chip away at less-defended regions such that it's more difficult to affordably dump piles of militia in one place vs. spreading it out for guard duty.

Gundam's right.  Eastern Dwilight is choc full of realms that are looking for active players if many of your realm-mates from other islands already play here.  Fissoa, Medina, D`Hara, Helyg Derwyddon all need people to be effective.  I'd say Antiqualia, too, but to be honest, there's a lot of sitting around/random raiding in that realm's immediate future.

I think with the Monster/Undead AI changes and the Large Realm penalties, you'll see a bigger need for nobles to do region maintenance, which is a pretty good gig for the less-active/1-a-day people, and generally makes more sense for Courtier Lords to do region maintenance than Knights or Dukes (so more opportunity there).

Any word on the Numbers of incoming nobles?

edit: missing words.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 11:02:20 PM by Dallben »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight
« Reply #37: December 03, 2015, 10:37:21 PM »
I was also hoping to see a meaningful change with respect to militia usage so there's a much higher likelihood of capitols

Me, too...

but I suppose one thing at a time. 

...but pretty much this. Limited time and functionally unlimited "I'd really like to..." changes; gotta prioritize, and right now, the thing that must happen is the code for the sinking and emigration stuff.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Eirikr

« Reply #38: December 03, 2015, 11:06:23 PM »
Probably a stupid question, but will SMA continue to be enforced on Dwilight?

Also, if / when these new realms (or existing realms) want new banners, I'll see if I can help out. Just ping me in game or via PM.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: December 03, 2015, 11:09:18 PM »
Probably a stupid question, but will SMA continue to be enforced on Dwilight?

Yep.
Timothy Collett

Faldron

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: December 04, 2015, 12:03:45 AM »
I don't really understand. I see half of Dwilight is 'rogue'. Do we just drop into one of those regions? Then what? Can I go there now? Can I take my soldiers? Will someone kill me? #NewbieLivesMatter
Faldron Nethercoate, Lord Archon of the Kingdom of Westgard, Dwilight

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: December 04, 2015, 12:08:25 AM »
Islands are quiet enough in most places, I don't think there's a large difference in 'game speed' even with twice the turns.

Even in a major war on the Colonies there's often a two or three week gap between campaigns.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: December 04, 2015, 12:10:43 AM »
I don't really understand. I see half of Dwilight is 'rogue'. Do we just drop into one of those regions?

When you emigrate, you will be given the choice of continent.

A day or so later, when your noble actually arrives, you will get to choose a realm to join. You will be placed in the capital of the realm you choose.

They're not set up yet, but probably some time tomorrow, I will be setting up the described "refugee" realms on Dwilight and the East Island, which will have some special rules.

Then what?

Then you introduce yourself, ask about the state of the realm, and continue your life in a new land.

Can I go there now?

Yes.

Can I take my soldiers?

No.

Will someone kill me? #NewbieLivesMatter

Probably not, and, as usual in BattleMaster, it's very, very hard to end up in a situation where you can be killed without multiple conscious decisions that it should be clear put your life in danger.
Timothy Collett

Hyral

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: December 04, 2015, 12:14:08 AM »
Question regarding the in-progress advy emigration.

Seems unlikely but, will your items go with you? common, unique, scrolls, or !!!equipment!!! ? haven't emigrated a noble with an item/scroll so I have no idea the usual procedure. If not, I'll probably just create a new one (mine's too old to start all over) so was wondering thanks!

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: December 04, 2015, 12:17:39 AM »
Question regarding the in-progress advy emigration.

Seems unlikely but, will your items go with you? common, unique, scrolls, or !!!equipment!!! ? haven't emigrated a noble with an item/scroll so I have no idea the usual procedure. If not, I'll probably just create a new one (mine's too old to start all over) so was wondering thanks!

Common items and equipment (which is just another kind of common item as far as the DB is concerned) will travel with you.

Scrolls have not traveled with you in the past, but will start doing so as soon as I finish testing and send the advy-related changes live (just another in a long list of ways scrolls have been handled very poorly...).

Unique items will not travel with advies or nobles.
Timothy Collett