Author Topic: The Big Announcement  (Read 27438 times)

Hyral

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The Big Announcement
« Reply #45: December 04, 2015, 12:35:03 AM »
Common items and equipment (which is just another kind of common item as far as the DB is concerned) will travel with you.

Scrolls have not traveled with you in the past, but will start doing so as soon as I finish testing and send the advy-related changes live (just another in a long list of ways scrolls have been handled very poorly...).

Awesome! Now to see if I can scrounge up a companion or two.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: December 04, 2015, 01:49:49 AM »
Introducing forced mortality would also make a lot of people quit. We know this very clearly from the experiment on Beluaterra.

There have been various plans for introducing voluntary universal mortality, which has gotten a pretty positive reception from most people on the forum, but there's not yet been enough focused dev time to make it happen.

That's not actually true. We're still getting a slow but steady stream of new players. The problem is, too many of them don't stick around, and we are fairly sure a big part of the reason for that is that low density means significantly less interaction with other players, and thus less interesting stuff to read and do in the game.

BattleMaster cannot hope to survive by its old players alone. Its only hope is to try to be a game that new players will actually enjoy playing, so they'll stick around.
Agree with this post... Now bring that Mortality for the older characters. Can't have 100 years old character swinging sword around. Make them fragile and prone to sickness ::)

You need less interaction now with the new estate system than ever before. When I began to play, I had to talk with Lords to take an estate and so on. Now you can start in a region and your Lord and Duke even need to know you. You can even assign yourself to any army you want while you're just a noble, before to join any estate.
The new estate system eh... I been having some complaints with this. Can't those who was appointed region lord immediately take up the estate in their region? Why they need to travel to their region to take up estate? *Cough, I have this complaint for those who appointed region lord and need go take estate in War Island no less ::)

I just started playing this game one month ago. I've been having a lot of fun playing my character on Atamara. Now I feel I am going to drown in the new areas, trampled by the tidal wave of new players jockeying for power in these new realms. I'm just not sure what I'm even doing as I've never emigrated before. I wish it wasn't sinking. I dread the thought of starting this process over... There's not even an option for my adventurer to emigrate.

I understand the reasoning behind it, I'm just sad and unsure of how I will move and how I will make it in a new land. I don't even know if any of my realm-mates will be moving, as most of them already have characters on those islands.

*shrug*

I guess I don't really have a choice...
Look like it is that time of the season again. "Time to promote our realm/island season" 8)

You can try ask in the specific Islands threads by start with a topic "Which realm interesting to join?". I am about to do the same as I need migrate a character from East Continent ;)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: December 04, 2015, 05:48:37 AM »
Tim, You mention cutting tax rates in half for lords in the largest realms. Previously, the game states that a "standard" (in my terms normal/acceptable tax rate) is 10%. Does that mean that in larger realms 10% will no longer be a reasonable tax rate to run?

My original reading of that statement was that it was mainly intended for the lords, who I assume are a large majority, that actually run tax rates well above 10%. Could you provide some clarity in this area?

I mainly want to know whether this will change the base acceptable tax rate, or if it will severely punish trying to run higher than normal tax rates or both.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Zakilevo

« Reply #48: December 04, 2015, 05:59:19 AM »
Just prepare yourself to break large realms into smaller ones. One~two city realms.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: December 04, 2015, 06:17:50 AM »
Tim, You mention cutting tax rates in half for lords in the largest realms. Previously, the game states that a "standard" (in my terms normal/acceptable tax rate) is 10%. Does that mean that in larger realms 10% will no longer be a reasonable tax rate to run?
Yes.

10% is the default. Each realm's base rate is then modified to favor smaller realms over larger realms. However, this mod hasn't been working properly, so we've seen realms grow larger. I've implemented changes that should make the mod more effective again.

But I want to clarify its not as simple as 'do not run 10%'. Its more just, lower taxes from whatever you've been running at right now. If you've been running high taxes, sure, keep running them, but the new high is a little bit lower now. Or if you were running lower taxes, now you need to run even lower taxes. For the large realms. The larger the realm, the more you should lower the tax rate.

I mainly want to know whether this will change the base acceptable tax rate, or if it will severely punish trying to run higher than normal tax rates or both.

It changes the base acceptable tax rate. There's already severe punishments for trying to run higher than normal accept tax rates that exist. But when the base acceptable tax rate change goes into effect, it may mean that the current tax rates are now much higher than the new normal acceptable tax rate, thus triggering the penalty. So to avoid the penalty, reduce the tax rate in your regions.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: December 04, 2015, 06:22:29 AM »
Exactly what I needed to know. Thank you Vita
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: December 04, 2015, 07:29:16 AM »
To clarify further, city-states or the excessively small realms (DSS, Perleone, Fallangard, OI, Spearhold, Antiqualia, Morek Empire etc.) could probably increase their tax rates as a result of this change.

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: December 04, 2015, 12:02:38 PM »
Will this also affect SI?

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: December 04, 2015, 12:19:17 PM »
Simple answer - No. Lords on war islands shouldn't need to worry about tax changes.

War Islands runs a bit differently on some things. It does have an acceptable base tax rate, but it doesn't have other anti-large realm penalties because well, its counter-productive to the island's purpose. So yes, its getting the new changes. But, to counteract their increased effectiveness, its starting rate before realm-specific mods (what was said as 10% above) was increased above stable/testing. So the end result should mean that War Islands should be unphased, despite getting the new changes. A smaller realm will be able to run higher taxes on war islands than a larger realm, but the larger realm won't be as hurt as a larger realm on another island.

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: December 04, 2015, 01:24:55 PM »
Just for clarity, I'm assuming priest characters will need to leave the priesthood in order to emigrate?
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: December 04, 2015, 03:44:12 PM »
To clarify further, city-states or the excessively small realms (DSS, Perleone, Fallangard, OI, Spearhold, Antiqualia, Morek Empire etc.) could probably increase their tax rates as a result of this change.

Yeah more money! I guess there's no way to lower estates below 5% btw? *mumbles something about needing to TO a region or 2 to house nobles*

I do have 1 serious question though. Will you be able to emigrate now from everywhere, or still just coastal cities? A lot of nobles are still out on the front lines as we speak, you know, war and all.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: December 04, 2015, 08:20:01 PM »
Priests should still need to change class in order to emigrate.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Eirikr

« Reply #57: December 05, 2015, 12:16:35 AM »
Common items and equipment (which is just another kind of common item as far as the DB is concerned) will travel with you.

Scrolls have not traveled with you in the past, but will start doing so as soon as I finish testing and send the advy-related changes live (just another in a long list of ways scrolls have been handled very poorly...).

Unique items will not travel with advies or nobles.

It seems advy emigration is only partially working: My advy has the option to "Choose Realm" now, but when I click the link, I just get a black page. (The toolbar / quickbar, whatever, on the left is still there.)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: December 05, 2015, 12:19:00 AM »
It seems advy emigration is only partially working: My advy has the option to "Choose Realm" now, but when I click the link, I just get a black page. (The toolbar / quickbar, whatever, on the left is still there.)

OK, I've got to emigrate an advy anyway; I'll try it and see what I get.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Faldron

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: December 05, 2015, 01:08:26 AM »
Just emigrated my Advy from Atamara to Dwilight. Worked perfectly and on my phone no less. :)
Faldron Nethercoate, Lord Archon of the Kingdom of Westgard, Dwilight