Author Topic: Effect of closing continents of a family's history and RP.  (Read 2431 times)

VonBorghoff Family

• Peasant
    • View Profile
I bring this up because of the particular continents being closed. Atamarra being the land my family came from and FEI being the lands where most of my character interacted and played with the other players.   

How do I maintain a cohesive Family history or rp quality when almost all the family history. as well as the areas where this happened is going to vanish from the game?

I've been here 10 years as of 1/2016.   Now I know I am NOT the oldest player.  But that amount of time is a lot of stuff that will need to be re-done. That seems to be more work then gaming.

I love the game and I am not going anywhere. Just from my perspective My gaming experience is taking a big hit here.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Everything that happened, still happened. The history isn't going anywhere. I imagine you're now experiencing something akin to what someone who was born in Atlantis and survived the catastrophe might've experienced. Or Pompeii. Or Native Americans. Or being sold into slavery after Carthage was defeated (sans the slavery aspect). Or any populations the Assyrians/Japanese/Soviets/Nazis/Romans/some-other-conquering-power forcibly relocated.

The islands aren't disappearing from time and space, just space (in that they will be underwater instead of above water).

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
There are families that have become "familia non grata" on entire continents in the past, such that they would be hunted and banned by (nearly) every realm if they set foot there again.

These are almost invariably families that have actually done quite a bit on these continents, and in doing so, angered powerful people.

BattleMaster is an ever-changing game, and there are a host of completely in-character things that could cause a wide variety of unpleasant consequences for your particular plans, whoever you happen to be.

Having the continent sink isn't that different from being forced off of it in terms of its effect on your RP and history.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I was going to quit the game over FEI being sunk, for the same reasons of history etc.

Now I'm excited to play as nobles in exile, trying to make their way in new lands.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
There are families that have become "familia non grata" on entire continents in the past, such that they would be hunted and banned by (nearly) every realm if they set foot there again.

I wish I had gotten to that point. There should be tiers of "familia non grata." I would have gotten into the tier for hunted only if reaching positions of power.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."