Poll

Shouldn't those immersion breaking "undead" and "monsters" be replaced by something like raiders and bandits. Doesn't that better help  you feel like a feudal lord defending his fief during times of trouble.

Yes. Who even came up with the idea of mixing the best game online with Twilight style rubbish.
No. (And I might or might not be a Twilight fan)
Yes. But I don't believe they should be replaced with 'raiders' or 'bandits.' I have a better idea.

Author Topic: Shouldn't those immersion breaking "undead" and "monsters" be replaced  (Read 9635 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Ha! I'm using the mobile version of the forum, and didn't even know there was a poll.  :D
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

Twilight as in that sparkling vampire?

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
Twilight as in that sparkling vampire?
Also werewolves.
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

Eirikr

I gotta say, props to Anaris and Vita for taking this seriously despite the stupid Twilight additions to the poll.

Half echoing others here, I've got no problem with undead and monsters - they're basic fare in most roleplaying games of this time and real medieval texts have stories and such about them. What's to say our nobles aren't simply making stuff up because they believe in the gods or want to look impressive among their fellow nobles?

That said, having raiders and bandits beyond the occasional flavor text would be cool, too. The problem is that they'd always have to be tiny bands, by definition. They'd never organize into an army in the way we fight undead. Monsters are a different beast (a-ha) because they DO use small units with higher stats.

And finally... "immersion"? I'm not sure that word is really applicable when the game is mostly text-based and there's no real attempt to disguise that you're playing from a web browser. I might begin to see your point if each letter had a paper background image.

Then again, this could all be an elaborate joke post and we look silly for taking it seriously.  :o

Nellamkuyzhil

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Seems a bit silly to change them now.
ROFL! What sir, is your opinion on sinking whole islands?? That's not so silly i presume? Reminds me of the saying outlaws have in my country - kill one, they hang you, kill a dozen, that'll get you major respect, a cash reward and a government job when you decide to surrender.

you can give Crusader Kings 2 a shot ;)
Spent a good portion of my life playing ck2. Tried almost every mod. Don't like the got mod. Also, this isn't the crusader kings forum now is it?? :-p :-p :-p

You should check out Mount&Blade: Warband then. Especially the 1257 AD mod.
We could totally talk about improving m&b. On its own forum. But look at me! Here I am talking about improving bm on bm's forum. So why should I care if there's a better game out there (which iv spent half my life on BTW)?? Pretty soon when I talk about improving the graphics in whatever minute way possible, people will start telling me about this game called elder scrolls . . .

despite the stupid Twilight additions to the poll.
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings by referring to twilight in a bad light. I think it's a great great cultural movement of itself.  I loved that scene where the sixteen year old actresses is depicted jacking off and all. Must be a day of liberation for paedophiles around the world. And Catholic priests.

What's to say our nobles aren't simply making stuff up because they believe in the gods or want to look impressive among their fellow nobles?

Wtf are you taking about man?!?! All nobles making stuff about this to each other. And then peasentsaking this "stuff up" en masse. And then dying en masse from things conjured up by their own fantasy eh? You're high is my medical opinion on this matter.

That said, having raiders and bandits beyond the occasional flavor text would be cool, too. The problem is that they'd always have to be tiny bands, by definition. They'd never organize into an army in the way we fight undead. Monsters are a different beast (a-ha) because they DO use small units with higher stats.

So the undead with their rotten brains and lack of emotions can organize. Also, wild beasts can organize themselves into packs. But humans can't? I don't want to waste time in real world examples here. Plenty around.

And finally... "immersion"? I'm not sure that word is really applicable when the game is mostly text-based and there's no real attempt to disguise that you're playing from a web browser.
Did you really just say you don't think bm should care about immersion?? A game that promotes RPing might not be the best place to dismiss immersion.

and real medieval texts have stories and such about them.
Example of acceptable logic.
The emphasis was put on simulator for a reason. Yes, medieval commander of troops is a core part of BM. But we're not a combat simulator for the medieval period that happened on Earth. We're more interested in providing good game mechanics than in simulating medieval conditions.
Best reply so far in my humble opinion. Still, since my proposal doesn't interfere with providing good mechanics in any way .  . . also, maybe if enough people were interested in stimulating medieval conditions rather than sticking to what's been done in the past . . ?? After all, not everybody agrees with the way bm has been. and maybe it's time to change some stuff to accommodate certain people. I'm not saying just me, I want to find out if there is support for such a demand. Hence the poll.

Eirikr

I realize I'm feeding the troll here, but I did want to address the "immersion" question: No, I'm not saying BM should ignore "immersion", or in better terms, its "flavor". It wouldn't be the same game if it didn't incorporate the feudal elements it does.

What I'm debating is if one can truly be immersed in a lightweight game like BM and its dedication to "you get out what you put in". I guess some people get very invested in their characters, sure, but that's not really caused by the game mechanics. Besides, the term is used in all kinds of games, including those that are much more outlandish than this. It's less about what things are called and more about how much it makes you care about your character's actions and empathize with them as they experience the corresponding consequences.

Zakilevo

Sorry to break it to you but unless your suggestion is ground breaking good or very essential to improving the game as a whole, it won't be implemented. Why? Because there are years worth of suggestions which have been approved waiting to be implemented yet we only have a handful - maybe just two or three - VOLUNTEERS working on them on their SCARCE FREE TIME.

Does your suggestion have any significant impact on the game? Will it improve the core experience of the game?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Imagine a future for BM where you are fighting bandits, raiders and rebels during peacetime (and even more during war time. Especially long wars as discontent rises and the enemy works to encourage domestic discord) rather than those silly fantasy creatures who apart from being irritating, also remind you that you're playing a fantasy game and not a medieval army commander simulator.

Well, guess what? You ARE playing a fantasy game and not a medieval army commander simulator.

If you decided to play Pac Man, don't complain it has ghosts.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
If islands can be drowned, maybe a few things can be renamed? I'm not even asking for new mechanics. Just change undead to bandits and monsters to raiders/reavers.

But they DO in fact, have their own mechanics. You might not notice if you don't look closely, but there is special code for both undead and monsters.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Well I think it's quite clear that nothing is going to change.

I'd just like to add my 2 cents and say that I like the Undead, Monsters and Daimon invasions. They've been a great chunk of fun in the past. There is much RP based on these creatures which would totally be lost if we suddenly rename them.

But I do think the best of Nellamkuyzhil for trying to spice things up and come with new ideas. Sometimes they will be met with criticism and a simple NO, perhaps sometimes something good comes out of these proposals, why not?

On a sidenote and totally off topic: Funny how our Honourable King Tom seems to have 0 Reputation power  :P  :D
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Nellamkuyzhil

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Well, guess what? You ARE playing a fantasy game and not a medieval army commander simulator.
I want to have my cake and eat it too. Hardly a reason to say no.

If you decided to play Pac Man, don't complain it has ghosts.
Will. Ghosts are cheesy and childish. Pacman with zombies or monsters will make  much more sense today. It can be modded I think. Not sure .

But they DO in fact, have their own mechanics. You might not notice if you don't look closely, but there is special code for both undead and monsters.

But will the codes have to be changed drastically if all you need to do is rename them to bandits/raiders? (I don't know much about coding)
Also, there numbers can simply be multiplied as I mentioned above. I don't know if that's too tough. I know I don't know much about coding and something that looks easy will be a nightmare to code so is this really the case here?

Sorry to break it to you but unless your suggestion is ground breaking good or very essential to improving the game as a whole, it won't be implemented. Why? Because there are years worth of suggestions which have been approved waiting to be implemented yet we only have a handful - maybe just two or three - VOLUNTEERS working on them on their SCARCE FREE TIME.

Does your suggestion have any significant impact on the game? Will it improve the core experience of the game?
This I can accept. The only reason I suggested what I have is cause
a.) I thought (still think) it'll be pretty easy to implement.
b) think it would make a much more enjoyable and immersive experience for people who think like me.

Zakilevo

I once suggested exactly the same thing. It got turned out very fast. Like I said above, unless this name change has a very convincing reason behind it, which it doesn't other than it will improve the RP experience of some people, it just won't happen sadly.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
This request has now been firmly denied by both the current active devs working on the game, and the game's creator.

The posts by the thread's creator are degenerating into borderline trolling.

This thread no longer has a useful purpose, and as such, I will be locking it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan