Author Topic: Mentoring system  (Read 6482 times)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Mentoring system
« Reply #15: December 16, 2015, 12:00:36 PM »
Completely disagree with you about the mentoring forum. While those who are older players may look at the old mentoring system with rose-colored glasses, it wasn't a complete success. The fact that it used a class slot is of course one drawback, but the other was the reliance on only players in your realm rather than throughout the island, meaning it could take a while for you to receive a reply.

I agree that we should have an IG system that encourages teaching the game, but that shouldn't replace the OOC mentoring forum. The wiki is outdated in so many areas that its usefulness as a guide is limited at best. Hardly anyone uses IRC, many people wouldn't want to even if they knew about it, and that's a completely OOG (and OOC) source, meaning you'd have to include that along with the OOC mentoring forum in things to get rid of based on your arguments.

Many players don't use the regular forum, and other characters IG requires you to be in a realm that actually has players who care enough to answer questions, something which unfortunately isn't always true.

I never said I would completely erase the mentoring forum. That ain't my opinion either. It will have its uses, like I said, faster reponses. So I'm not saying 'based on my arguments' to delete IRC either. I'm just not a fan of it. If I would have to make a decision, I wouldn't implement it. But hey, I'm not making the decisions, right?  :)

Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: December 16, 2015, 01:34:48 PM »
You shouldn't lock people into picking a mentor. If they get a bad mentor, they're screwed. What's wrong with an open mentor channel open to mentors and students?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chamberlain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: December 16, 2015, 02:35:56 PM »
When I started back in the day my mentor was really rubbish... can't even remember who it was, essentially unhelpful, with a 'you need to ask the right questions to get the right answers' attitude.  I nearly binned the game because of this but managed somehow to get myself involved in some intrigue or other and stayed... A bad mentor can cast a long shadow is all I'm saying I guess

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: December 16, 2015, 02:43:53 PM »
Yeah. If you have a mentor available in your realm, you get those choices first with a secondary link to island-wide selection just in case your realm's mentor is not replying. If you don't have a realm mentor available, you get an island-wide selection.

How would you guys RP continent-wide mentors? Or is this strictly seen as OOC, then?

Just for example, no mentor in any realm on the continent, except for mentors in enemy realms you're at war with.. I'm just wondering.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: December 16, 2015, 04:10:06 PM »
How it is rp'd is mostly irrelevant. The important thing is that the system exists to help players get going. After that, the players can come up with any kind of rp for it they want. For example, the old Academy of Knowledge on EC. An island wide guild dedicated to helping players with information about the game and how to play.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.