Author Topic: Wiki Errors/Confusion  (Read 11752 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Wiki Errors/Confusion
« Topic Start: June 10, 2011, 07:51:57 AM »
If you find something that seems to be wrong on the wiki, or is confusing, please post the link here with a brief description.  We can either answer the questions if it's a misunderstanding or fix the wiki page.  I know there are a number of pages with old information, and this will help us fix them and get the proper information out.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Wiki Errors/Confusion
« Reply #1: June 10, 2011, 11:48:25 AM »
Here's one I spotted earlier:

When searching for Vanguard on the Wiki, you are directed to the unit settings page here:

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Vanguard#Vanguard

Vanguard units move faster than other army types, but are not allowed to dig in.

These units make excellent scouts or fast raiding parties, and Units of over 40 men may often arrive a turn earlier if they are set as Vanguard. Units designated as vanguards lighten their burdens by opting not to bring redundant or excessive equipment, seeking out lighter superior quality replacements. This gives them the advantage of moving quicker. But for all their additional efforts and speed, they require 20% more gold than regular troops.

When you go ingame to Unit Settings and then click the Help button, you are instead directed to this page:

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Help:Troop_Settings

While it has less information, it does state that:

Vanguard units travel faster but have reduced combat effectiveness.

This does not exactly match up with the description on Unit Settings (Requiring higher pay versus reduced combat effectiveness as a disadvantage)

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 10, 2011, 05:43:19 PM »
Sometimes people have made their wiki page name the archetype word of a range of potential pages.

For Example: Instead of zzzzwhatever/Guild_Houses they have called it only Guild_Houses

So someone looking up information on Guild Houses are instead taken to their Guild's Guildhouse page.
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

bluexmas

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 11, 2011, 02:30:33 AM »
I question the worth of having "looting" as one of the ways to get your first money in the "getting started manual."
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Manual:Getting_Started
Although I'm sure folk would be patient with someone on their first day, there are much better ways to begin, not to mention that anyone who start looting an area in medieval times would probably not be embraced and welcomed to the realm.
The Finsternis family welcomes you.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 11, 2011, 03:36:58 AM »
Fixed the vanguard issue.

Ramiel, can you give specific examples?

Bluexmas, that's an interesting choice, I agree, and explains a lot of whacky behaviour I've seen.  Removed, because looting should not be something a new character with no idea of what's going on should do.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 11, 2011, 04:15:19 AM »
I question the worth of having "looting" as one of the ways to get your first money in the "getting started manual."
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Manual:Getting_Started
Although I'm sure folk would be patient with someone on their first day, there are much better ways to begin, not to mention that anyone who start looting an area in medieval times would probably not be embraced and welcomed to the realm.

This certainly worked for me when I first started. But then I started in BoM so looting was kind of expected anyway.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

bluexmas

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 11, 2011, 04:19:20 PM »
The "New Players Guide" by Luke Evans (as it says on the page) is full of spelling and grammar mistakes. I know that many BM players are European, but it shouldn't be too hard to clean up that page so it looks more presentable and error-free, something that might be a little friendlier to new players when they're first looking for information. I also think de-italicizing the text would help. I'd be willing to volunteer to fix the text errors, but I don't want to mess with that page unless there's a consensus that it should be done because I assume it is a relatively high-traffic page and I'm new round these parts.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/New_Players_Guide
The Finsternis family welcomes you.

egamma

« Reply #7: June 11, 2011, 09:56:21 PM »
The "New Players Guide" by Luke Evans (as it says on the page) is full of spelling and grammar mistakes. I know that many BM players are European, but it shouldn't be too hard to clean up that page so it looks more presentable and error-free, something that might be a little friendlier to new players when they're first looking for information. I also think de-italicizing the text would help. I'd be willing to volunteer to fix the text errors, but I don't want to mess with that page unless there's a consensus that it should be done because I assume it is a relatively high-traffic page and I'm new round these parts.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/New_Players_Guide

ah, that page has some major problems. I've started fixing it, but I need to be studying for a test.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 12, 2011, 01:21:36 PM »
Don't really know where to post it, but I once began writing http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Newbie_Guide. Being a mentor in Ibladesh (and having many new players join us frequently), I always tell them to read a little there to get started. Most of them seem to find it a very good starters guide.

The idea was to keep building on this guide through questions posed by new players: I think it is the best way to help new players. Answer their questions. Make a massive faq, that is divided in clear chapters, and helps them in different stages (early beginning going to advanced playing). If anyone is interested in helping me out with it or whatnot, feel free to add to the page.
Ardet nec consumitur.

egamma

« Reply #9: June 13, 2011, 01:11:01 AM »
Part of the problem is that there are SO MANY new player guides and mentor lessons on the wiki, and they are ALL incomplete and/or out of date.

The mentoring page: http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Mentoring is basically yet another iteration of the same.

We need to:
  • determine what information to include
  • split the information into chapters for easy reference and future editing
  • copy-and-paste the information from the old sites into one cohesive set of chapters
  • repoint the existing out of date pages to the new site
  • replace about half the information with links to the main topic pages (this helps keep the information current)
  • verify that the information is current
  • edit it for grammar and spelling

And of course, check it as new features are added to make sure it's still correct.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 13, 2011, 12:41:06 PM »
Ramiel, can you give specific examples?

Well the example below is a good one. I would suggest instead of /Newbie_Guide it should be /fleugs/Newbie_Guide and that /Newbie-Guide be a redirect to /New_player_Guide which gives some generic information and links to the guides other people have written. (A Links section maybe).

Another example would be someone who made /Guild_House_Locations and made it a redirect to a specific guild's guild house page. Which I blanked. I found that page when searching the term Guild House to try and see information on Guild House's: cost to build, how many people etc etc. Instead I was taken to a specific Guild's guild house listing.

I am sure there are other pages, and I do remember  a few others, but its just people using generic pages as either redirects or as titles for their specific page when instead it should be left generic and they should have made a /whatever/etc instead of just /etc. If you catch my meaning.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 13, 2011, 01:56:06 PM »
Another example would be someone who made /Guild_House_Locations and made it a redirect to a specific guild's guild house page. Which I blanked.
Please do not "blank" pages. If it is an inappropriate redirect, then point it to the right location. If it needs deleted, then add {{Delete}} to it, and it can be deleted by an editor. Blank pages are very unhelpful, even worse than a non-existent page.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: June 13, 2011, 02:02:20 PM »
BTW - The "Guild House Locations" redirect is part of a very nasty snarl of redirects, typo'd page names, and mislocated pages centered around the "Breweries of Beluaterra". This is going to take some work to fix.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 13, 2011, 02:40:08 PM »
Ahhh thats the tag I was looking for! For some reason I thought it was longer than that o.0

Sorry about blanking them, had meant to go back and insert that tag once I found it.

By very nasty, you mean a lot of work I presume :(

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 13, 2011, 02:53:11 PM »
Very tangled. I hope I got it all. There were several different root page names, variations of spelling and capitalization, that someone tried to fix with redirects. I think I ended up moving 10 or so pages, and deleting 20+ redirects, plus fixing links on several pages to point to the correct locations.