Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 10076 times)

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Topic Start: June 10, 2011, 03:17:44 PM »
My Wii is now mostly used for the Virtual Console (And as a place for my cat to throw up on apparently :S), so I doubt I'll be buying any new consoles. I'll stick to my pc. I'm going to pick up the new Zelda game for sure. The Wii U looks interesting from a 'not-going-to-buy-it' point-of-view and it seems like they went a step further again. It's not entirely new of course, as they had the GBA connectors in the past (like with Four Links Adventure game, which was fun, albeit one of the longest games ever if you have my friends), but getting that private screen does open up some interesting new options. Most of the other options seemed less promising.

The crucial point in my opinion is if games will actually start to properly take advantage of and implement those new controls, and that's where I'm sceptic. Many games on the Wii are simply easier played with the gamecube controller (Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros etc.) and don't really make great use of the motion control. It's more a fun gadget, not the main way to play. Games need to approach things very differently and get the new controls properly integrated and do that good as well (Touchscreen on the DS being the only way to move your character, for example, is generally a big pain)

My own inexperienced conclusion: Looks awesome, but I doubt the games will take full advantage of it.