Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 10023 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: Wii U
« Reply #15: June 12, 2011, 03:03:19 PM »
It might also be the approach. 360 and PS3 far outstrip what the Wii could ever accomplish in terms of hardware (graphics, speed, to name two). Now with Kinect and Move, the whole motion-sensor control thing is not really a Wii novelty anymore. Nintendo seems to have spread out to the casual fans whereas the 360 and PS3 are sticking mainly to the hardcore base. Still, I must say that the recent games for the 360 and PS3 feel like reiterations of base popular games with little innovation, a different title, and some different graphics.

I think real reviewers would know better, but from my own experiences with games these past 4 years, games feel like some alternate version of Call of Duty, Halo, or Gears of War, for shooters. God of War, Devil May Cry, for action "going ape!@#$" games (come to think of it I can't really think of any action games for the 360 or PS3 that don't resemble GoW or DMC). There's also the parkour fighting action games that all have similar parkour mechanics with minor variations on how high they jump, how much damage they take when falling, and how they look like while climbing and stuff (AC, Uncharted, Prototype, The Saboteur, Infamous). Well, there is Mass Effect an Dragon Age, with the wide array hybrid RPG stuff.

I'm also drawing a blank with puzzle games. There was Portal 2, right?

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: June 17, 2011, 04:45:13 AM »
If you have the 360 try Wet.  I never gave it a shot for obvious reasons, hot chick assassin main character and its titled Wet, but you'll probably get two play throughs of it and its pretty fun.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: June 23, 2011, 04:37:49 AM »
I must say I'm not really into consoles, and least of all into the Wii. So I'll spare you my opinion :D

This, mostly. But I overall don't feel like the time is ripe for new next-gen consoles.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #18: June 24, 2011, 02:31:59 PM »
I mean, you can only play games on a console, while there is so much more to do on a computer...
Like?  Surf the web?  Consoles can do that now.  Voice chat?  Consoles do that.  Go on Facebook?  Consoles do that.  Watch TV, movies, etc?  Consoles do that.  Check up on the news?  Again, consoles do that.

Pretty much the only thing that consoles have over consoles at this point in time is word processing (including various coding) and graphic editing.

As for the Wii U...  Goodie.  Another kid system.  The new controller reminds me of the Sega Game Gear from the early 1990s.  Nintendo should honestly give up on consoles in the current era and focus on bringing their classic brands to Sony and Microsoft's platforms, much like Sega did.  Only possible exception would be their hand-helds, which provide much needed competition for Sony.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #19: June 24, 2011, 02:41:34 PM »
Video games have been declining in innovation. I believe the highlight of my video game cynicism came when I played FEAR 3, much anticipated, much excited to play.

I discovered that it is a CoD clone. Might as well call it Modern Warfare X. Yeah, it has the slow-mo, but remember how in MW2 you got the automatic slow-mo when you busted open a door? Yeah, FEAR 3 just lets you access it temporarily almost whenever you want. So...basically MW2 with slightly more slow-mo action.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: June 24, 2011, 05:42:14 PM »
Like?  Surf the web?  Consoles can do that now.  Voice chat?  Consoles do that.  Go on Facebook?  Consoles do that.  Watch TV, movies, etc?  Consoles do that.  Check up on the news?  Again, consoles do that.

Pretty much the only thing that consoles have over consoles at this point in time is word processing (including various coding) and graphic editing.

I disagree. What % of available software is console-compatible? I heard you can hack an OS onto a console, but then you lose your warranty. And since they seem to fail to easily nowadays, that's a pretty bad thing.

You *need* word-processing, in most cases. I would hate to use Microsoft Office on a console. Why double up your hardware to have one system to do the technical stuff, and then another to play games and do misc. stuff? By your argument, nobody needs consoles because iPhones can do everything they do. With the convenience of being portable and of being phones while they are at it, too.

As for the Wii U...  Goodie.  Another kid system.  The new controller reminds me of the Sega Game Gear from the early 1990s.  Nintendo should honestly give up on consoles in the current era and focus on bringing their classic brands to Sony and Microsoft's platforms, much like Sega did.  Only possible exception would be their hand-helds, which provide much needed competition for Sony.

Agreed, it looks just like it. Clumsy piece of crap. I looked at their promotional video after my original response, and now think it's total !@#$.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: June 24, 2011, 08:31:37 PM »
Yeah innovative games rare nowadays, but they are there. Heavy rain came out in 2010 and I loved it. I am curious if games that try something new make a significant less amount of money then repeat games. Though I think what I like about Nintendo the most is how well they keep old style as well as putting in new stuff. Most of the Mario and Zelda games are examples of that. Also same thing could be seen in Final Fantasy games. I think that is why I thought Twilight Princess and FFXIII were such disappointments.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #22: June 24, 2011, 08:44:28 PM »
Most game companies are afraid to take risks. Why should they spend a ton of money on a game with some avante garde style that might very well flop and lead to the end of them? If they own the rights to some big hit series like Halo, or Call of Duty, or God of War, then why not keep churning out sequels? If you're a company that doesn't have rights to such heavy hitters, but the engines aren't restricted, then for the most part, you know that such a formula has worked in the past. If you're interested completely in the money, it makes sense to make something that follows the "template of success" and hope there are enough differences that gamers will be attracted to the same gameplay style but not immediately discount it as a rip-off.

As for Nintendo, as if they hadn't had enough with the OoT remakes. The original, I will say, was great, for the N64. Then they came out with some version that could be played on the GC or something. Then that was compatible on the Wii or in their online store or something. And now, guess what is one of the only games for the 3DS worth mentioning? Yeah, OoT in 3D! Woooo..... Excitement not quite there.

It doesn't have to be innovative in terms of gameplay either. Sometimes it's just weird. That lightsaber game on the Wii? Yeah... Then again, almost everything on the Wii. RE 4 was good though, as were the Marios. But the ones that tried too hard to make the motion control some sort of great amazing thing? Not sure about that.

Then again, I might not be satisfied until there comes a time when we can plug our nervous system into a console and have the game stimulate sensations exactly as if we were actually experiencing them.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: June 24, 2011, 09:05:31 PM »
Video games have been declining in innovation.

Possibly, but I don't think they aren't much less innovative as an industry than any other sector of the entertainment industry. Movies, music, etc. all are chock full of stupid titles, milked-out franchises, and then those rare gems that come around every so often. It's not any particular fault of the video game industry I don't think, just the natural existence of mass entertainment media that video games have now become a part of.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #24: June 25, 2011, 11:42:15 AM »
I disagree. What % of available software is console-compatible? I heard you can hack an OS onto a console, but then you lose your warranty. And since they seem to fail to easily nowadays, that's a pretty bad thing.
My Xbox 360 lasted from 2006 (when they were released) until December or so last year.  That's a better track record than most PCs I've had!

You *need* word-processing, in most cases. I would hate to use Microsoft Office on a console. Why double up your hardware to have one system to do the technical stuff, and then another to play games and do misc. stuff? By your argument, nobody needs consoles because iPhones can do everything they do. With the convenience of being portable and of being phones while they are at it, too.
Technically I don't NEED a PC.  I prefer it for certain games and for certain chat protocols.  However, as phones do become more and more accessible for that sort of thing, the PC will be less useful.  Especially as MMOs are slowly being released on consoles!  My phone can create Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents, so yes, you are right on that part.  As for phones replacing consoles...  It's possible one day, actually.  That won't be for a long time, however, as they aren't nearly powerful enough and battery life doesn't last nearly long enough.  If they managed to do that?  PCs and Consoles would be gone.  Provided they can also plug up to the TV for larger screens!

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: June 25, 2011, 03:55:05 PM »
When I buy a game, I tend to go through the boxes with leftovers. Granted it's because my pc can't play the latest games, but it's just a lot more fun. I buy three games for maybe €15, and if I'm lucky I get one that's good. Came across Project Nomads that way (and Morrowind).

Mainstream just sucks :)

I've been thinking of building a pc capable of running all the new games, but the longer I'm waiting, the less I feel like it. I'd have a great system, and nothing fun to play on it :/