Author Topic: Kingdom of Alara  (Read 34365 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdom of Alara
« Reply #15: January 13, 2016, 05:50:04 PM »
So, to be clear:

• Any noble can be executed if they are in prison in a realm from which they are banned. (Or if they're in prison as a rogue.)
  • Any realm can ban one of their own nobles any time (through the Judge's normal ban page).

Those two things, together, give you all you need to execute a noble from your own realm in your prison. Just remember to ban them through the normal ban process, not the ban-and-release process.

More generally:

• The only way to ban a noble who is not from your realm is if they have been captured red-handed for a criminal offense.
  • Banning a noble in this manner will release them from prison, whether or not they are a member of your realm.
  • You cannot ban a noble who has been captured for any reason other than a criminal offense—even if they were identified as the perpetrator of an offense, but not captured red-handed, and then captured by patrols later in the same day.

The in-game mechanics are cryptic, confusing, and often contradictory. The circumstances in which some options appear or fail to appear are odd, to say the least.

I hope that this has cleared up some of your confusion regarding these mechanics. If you have other questions about them, please feel free to ask (though if it's not closely related to this issue, I'd ask you to please make a new topic for them). Not only do I want to make sure that people understand the game mechanics, if there are mechanics that are just gratuitously contradictory or confusing, I want to make them work more clearly.

(For instance, I'm now strongly considering creating some sort of feature where if a noble is identified in a crime, they will be marked as bannable if they are captured within the next, say, three days.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: January 13, 2016, 05:50:10 PM »
It's not so much about the originating realm as it is about the realm of the noble in prison.

You can execute advies, rogues, and those banished from your realm. So, if the realm he is from banishes him while he is in prison and he goes rogue, they can execute him regardless of whether he is banished from his captor's realm. This is most often (though still quite rarely) seen when a noble is captured by their own realm for whatever reason and the judge holds them in prison, banishes them from their realm, waits for them to go rogue (perhaps torturing to prevent escape), and then executes.

Of course, in this instance, the banished noble could decide to join his captor's realm instead of going rogue. And then they'd have to banish them. Which would extend time before execution or escape (and he's only held 7 days anyway).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 05:52:17 PM by Vita »

Graeth

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: January 13, 2016, 06:18:51 PM »
All I meant was in this particular case it wasn't possible for our king to behead Sundar. Also, perhaps most of this should be in the Xavax thread.
Geg Family: Elshon (Bel)

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: January 14, 2016, 11:09:56 AM »
Supposedly he has fled to Alara to incite them into war with us. Or so he and one of his possible conspirators say. Things are getting far too interesting for my taste.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: January 14, 2016, 12:43:15 PM »
Supposedly he has fled to Alara to incite them into war with us. Or so he and one of his possible conspirators say. Things are getting far too interesting for my taste.

Yeah, cause who likes interesting things! Not me, that's for sure!
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Shulee

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: January 14, 2016, 10:45:22 PM »
Or so he and one of his possible conspirators say.

It's probably a mistake at this time to consider people who disagree with your pals as co-conspirators. They could just be trying to squeeze in some alternative viewpoints and in-character roleplay into a realm already mostly set on one channel. If I can make one suggestion: leave room for others to participate and let the realm's culture evolve organically rather than barraging us with tomes of your invention.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: January 15, 2016, 06:01:14 AM »
Oh, I agree. :) Definitely giving people the benefit of the doubt, though I've become aware of standing conspiracy through various channels. Things in Xavax are definitely going to get interesting in the coming times.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: January 15, 2016, 11:25:54 AM »
It's probably a mistake at this time to consider people who disagree with your pals as co-conspirators. They could just be trying to squeeze in some alternative viewpoints and in-character roleplay into a realm already mostly set on one channel. If I can make one suggestion: leave room for others to participate and let the realm's culture evolve organically rather than barraging us with tomes of your invention.

On the forum I agree, but IG it depends on his char. Anyone who's not with me is against me is a valid viewpoint IG and he can try to remove all those who are against him.

Shulee

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: January 15, 2016, 05:21:41 PM »
You're right he could be playing an annoyingly paranoid self-centred character in which case he's succeeding. Or maybe he needs to learn to share the RP space with others. He'll know which and act accordingly.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: January 16, 2016, 04:43:19 PM »
Y'all are free to share the RP space, just - you know - type an RP. I don't see how I'm preventing RP. I'm not stopping others from RP'ing - quite the opposite. (Run-on sentence in 3... 2... 1...) I started all these councils and ran referendums and ask open-ended questions and try to stir up trouble and am running that Betholm RP specifically to get you folks talking and RP'ing. Unfortunately, most of the talking is usually in private. And, despite people complaining, I'm going to continue trying to spark discussion by mentioning things publicly so the realm isn't a quiet, boring place.

If you have any suggestions on how to make Xavax more RP-friendly, go forth and speak.

...I don't really see how Magnus is self-centered. Sure, he suffers from superficial narcissism and delusions of grandeur - but that's just what happens when you're that sort of person. Everyone worth a damn in history shared that mentality, whether intro- or extrovertly. Though, for the record, his personality profile sub-type is a INFP, if I remember correctly. If he were so self-centered he wouldn't have distributed power to everyone but himself, forsaken a royal lordship&dukedom, put people he obviously knows don't "quite" like him into positions of power, and give all his gold away to whoever needs it. People so often perceive someone with profound passion for someone who is self-absorbed. Absorbed, yes - but the self is in no way the point.

His vision of a greater Xavax isn't selfish - I just suck at Rp'ing him. :) Sorry.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: January 17, 2016, 12:21:37 PM »
At which point point Vix Tiramora will also coincidentally declare a completely separate, unrelated war, against Alara... >_<

Alara, hmm, maybe we will. Thanks for the suggestion!  ;D
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: January 17, 2016, 04:37:27 PM »
You're right he could be playing an annoyingly paranoid self-centred character in which case he's succeeding. Or maybe he needs to learn to share the RP space with others. He'll know which and act accordingly.

How can someone steal the RP space?

Shulee

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: January 17, 2016, 08:53:21 PM »
The word isn't stealing what he is doing is not sharing -- 43 messages in a turn and 33 will be a torrent of stream of consciousness from one person with no collaboration with or reference to anyone else. Solipsism at its best. There's no play.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: January 18, 2016, 12:20:04 AM »
The word isn't stealing what he is doing is not sharing -- 43 messages in a turn and 33 will be a torrent of stream of consciousness from one person with no collaboration with or reference to anyone else. Solipsism at its best. There's no play.

That many messages? And can't you jump in? Usually there are always ways to work yourself in.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: January 18, 2016, 01:52:55 AM »
I don't see how you can't jump in. People just always choose to do it in private.

After each of my big posts, I get a flood in interesting discussion in private. Its just that, well, with everything going on, folks seem to be hiding their hands and keeping to the shadows. I'd like there to be more public RP.

So, the Alara-Xavax royal meeting ended early since Rob's currently on a trip and has spotty if any internet access, so we'll pick this up later. Magnus is headed to Itor Boss after receiving note of a monster horde, and Robb's there too, so it should be another small RP opportunity, except this one between just us and whoever else heads to Itor Boss to fight the horde. :) Join us if you're in the next region over, maybe we can get some RP with the Alarans and someone else will actually post something?