Author Topic: Kingdom of Alara  (Read 34080 times)

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdom of Alara
« Reply #60: January 21, 2016, 04:55:15 PM »
Keeping things "dynamic" without devolving into randomness or silly is very difficult. Wars need to have a reason, and that reason can't just be "we needed a war, so let's fight". If you just declare random wars for no reason, or obviously fake reasons, people will get angry, and you'll just end up getting wiped out by your neighbors. You need to find a way to declare meaningful, limited wars. It's HARD to do.

I disagree with this entirely. People hold onto their realms WAAY too much, and that's one of the reasons the worlds grow so stagnant.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: January 21, 2016, 05:41:52 PM »
In an ideal world, I would agree with Indirik.

However, currently - as Indirik is very well aware of - I don't want to put in the time or effort to dig up a great casus belli. I settle for... lesser causes for war, and I'll take the flak that comes for it.

And while I do agree that people get too attached to their realms, I understand that they do. It's about the effort being put in. Seeing that go sucks. I would argue for a game where we would wage wars in which you do not have to fear for the total destruction of your realm. Change the dynamics that way, from a playerbase mentality, and wars should come easier.
Ardet nec consumitur.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: January 22, 2016, 12:33:56 AM »
you need to be able to lose it all, or its all meaningless. part of the appeal of this game is the high stakes involved in every major decision. you could lose your realm or a significant portion of it, you can lose your titles, your character can be executed.

i have been saying for a long time that the main problem with the game is that conservative players rise to the top again and again, because they are able to make connections and a reputation over time without screwing up. these conservative players are great at making friends and terrible at making enemies. they then get elected ruler and want to make friends with all the other rulers. this results in a boring game.

you need to put your realm in situations where it can be destroyed (ideally preventing that from happening through your brilliant leadership), or there is no driving conflict in the game. it becomes pointless and boring and people leave.

a great case study is recent events on the far east, right before it was sunk. you have a realm in cathay that was surrounded by enemies and refused to surrender, willingly accepting potential annihilation to hold on to its principles and keep fighting. good leadership won them the war against all odds, the same people that other realms were calling idiots for their decision to not surrender. you have a realm in myern that made some ballsy choices in the beginning, which attracted massive numbers of nobles, then went conservative after a few losses because their leader was scared to lose his little realm. they lost all their players in no time.

going balls to the walls is always better for the health of the realm IF you can back it up... most cant, or are too scared of losing power to even try, so they resort to the next best thing which is building ridiculous invincible power blocs.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: January 22, 2016, 01:06:44 PM »
I agree, think Fleugs is doing a good join in Perdan as well now protecting the infil for instance (yes I'm serious).

But finding reasons for war isn't that hard in my opinion, however actually following through rather than being "oh but I could lose...mmm" is the real challenge. Also limited regions don't need to be "oh you harmed me, I will now take a duchy and try to destroy your realm" but could also be "oh your infil attacked me, I will raid the region of his Lord to the ground, that'll teach him!"
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: January 22, 2016, 10:41:08 PM »
I disagree with this entirely. People hold onto their realms WAAY too much, and that's one of the reasons the worlds grow so stagnant.
Finding a real cause for war doesn't have to mean that you're holding on too much. (Although that could be the case for some.) I haven't hesitated to thrown Eponllyn into war, but we like to do it for reasons that we think are important. There's no shortage of opportunities, if you're clever, and willing to have some moral flexibility.

However, currently - as Indirik is very well aware of - I don't want to put in the time or effort to dig up a great casus belli. I settle for... lesser causes for war, and I'll take the flak that comes for it.
IMO, Perdan has come up with a very good reason for their current war. You decided on something you wanted. You asked for it, and it was refused. You offered to pay for it, and were still refused. So you went to war over it. (Which I think what everyone expected to happen.) As far as I remember, not a single person has voiced any OOC complaint, about Perdan's war. (Sure, there's the usual IC griping and calls about war-mongering, etc., but that's the posturing you get with every war declaration.)

What I personally dislike are the realms that declare war saying nothing more than "we support our allies", or for random silly reasons, or for ridiculously inconsistent reasons. You should have a good reason for declaring the war, and a good idea of what you want out of it. Let the other guy know what you want. You have a much greater chance of keeping the war civil, and letting it end without one of the realms having to die.

And while I do agree that people get too attached to their realms, I understand that they do. It's about the effort being put in. Seeing that go sucks. I would argue for a game where we would wage wars in which you do not have to fear for the total destruction of your realm. Change the dynamics that way, from a playerbase mentality, and wars should come easier.
There has to be some risk, or war becomes boring, and no one really puts in any effort. You're right, though, that every war shouldn't be a fight to the death for someone. Having a clear goal in mind helps. Realms need to be willing to fight limited aggression wars rather than go for the kill. Also, realms need to be willing to accept a loss. It sucks when a realm is losing, but refuses any peace offering that doesn't involve them getting back everything they lost. (Or in some cases more!)

I agree, think Fleugs is doing a good join in Perdan as well now protecting the infil for instance (yes I'm serious).
I think it was pretty funny when he was defending his infil, and told the rulers that anyone in Perdan could run the realm as good, or better, then he was doing it! Not many people will admit that they are probably the worst possible choice. ;)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #65: January 22, 2016, 10:46:03 PM »
If you want to go to war just go to war. Don't think about it too much. Of course you should go for someone of your size.

If not grab an ally but don't grab 2~3 all at once. The more you grab, the more your enemies will call for as well.

Just don't try to win every war. You can't afford to wipe realms out as you can't support large realms that easily anymore.

Reasons for war? Pfft who cares about those. When you feel like going to war, you just go to war. That is good enough reason. Don't let silly people and their fancy reasons to stop you :D

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: January 29, 2016, 01:16:50 PM »
Reasons for war? Pfft who cares about those. When you feel like going to war, you just go to war. That is good enough reason. Don't let silly people and their fancy reasons to stop you :D

Wait, you're in the same democracy as me, no?  :P
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Zakilevo

« Reply #67: January 29, 2016, 04:41:46 PM »
Wait, you're in the same democracy as me, no?  :P

Yes. But am I the leader? No. Hehe. I don't have to deal with coming up with a legit excuse!

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: February 01, 2016, 04:33:47 AM »
I'm currently beating my head trying to figure out how to spin said excuses my people are calling for quite aggressively.

Either way Magnus looks like an ass. Oh well. I give up trying to be the reasonable one in Xavax. Time to bring out Magnus' inner douche.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: February 01, 2016, 12:35:25 PM »
I'm currently beating my head trying to figure out how to spin said excuses my people are calling for quite aggressively.

Either way Magnus looks like an ass. Oh well. I give up trying to be the reasonable one in Xavax. Time to bring out Magnus' inner douche.

You let another realm's infiltrators operate within your own borders without any punishment to them. Yeah, people aren't going to be happy about that. Especially if I've given them plenty of evidence that Starfall never planned on being peaceful with Xavax.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: February 02, 2016, 01:05:14 AM »
I give up trying to be the reasonable one in Xavax.

Once there ruled in the distant city of Wirani a king who was both mighty and wise. And he was feared for his might and loved for his wisdom.

Now, in the heart of that city was a well, whose water was cool and crystalline, from which all the inhabitants drank, even the king and his courtiers; for there was no other well.

One night when all were asleep, a witch entered the city, and poured seven drops of strange liquid into the well, and said, "From this hour he who drinks this water shall become mad."

Next morning all the inhabitants, save the king and his lord chamberlain, drank from the well and became mad, even as the witch had foretold.

And during that day the people in the narrow streets and in the market places did naught but whisper to one another, "The king is mad. Our king and his lord chamberlain have lost their reason. Surely we cannot be ruled by a mad king. We must dethrone him."

That evening the king ordered a golden goblet to be filled from the well. And when it was brought to him he drank deeply, and gave it to his lord chamberlain to drink.

And there was great rejoicing in that distant city of Wirani, because its king and its lord chamberlain had regained their reason.

except totally opposite... usually if everyone around you seems unreasonable to you and they are all telling you you're unreasonable it may be time to reexamine your position.

By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #71: March 01, 2016, 10:17:11 PM »
So, the Minas-Alaran Alliance is interesting...and surprising.

Not really worrying, but surprising.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: March 02, 2016, 09:47:18 AM »
Well, Alara now has a problem, it seems.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: March 02, 2016, 12:30:28 PM »
Well, Alara now has a problem, it seems.

I'm curious to see what kind of army these new realms can truly field, especially Xavax.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: March 02, 2016, 03:07:16 PM »
I'm curious to see what kind of army these new realms can truly field, especially Xavax.

Well, Xavax has 23 nobles and 9 regions including 2 cities.
Alara has 8 nobles and 4 regions, including 1 city.

So I doubt this will be a close war. Unless, of course, other realms join in  ;D