Author Topic: Suggestion for Mercenary Setting  (Read 4186 times)

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Suggestion for Mercenary Setting
« Topic Start: January 05, 2016, 03:15:19 AM »
Being in Mercenary setting should have a clear benefit that other setting should obviously not, I believe, though it just dawned on me.

Honestly being a mercenary at heart as some of us are, I see no reason why if you are leading mercenary troops you are unable to forage if a battle does not go your way or you retreat. Technically mercenaries would go through and forage after any battle to procure better equipment/gear and spoils of even defeat. Perhaps we should change it. If it is at all doable though I do know it would possible be complicated to do.
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Zakilevo

Re: Suggestion for Mercenary Setting
« Reply #1: January 05, 2016, 03:22:35 AM »
How about this.

No morale penalty. Better foraging. Better looting. BUT costs 50% more and losing a battle makes you lose more men from them running away.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 05, 2016, 03:43:33 AM »
Sounds perfect

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 05, 2016, 09:52:28 PM »
Well, you already get better morale. And you have to pay more. You can already replenish your equipment after a battle by foraging.

So, all you want added is ... better looting in exchange for a higher casualty rate?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #4: January 05, 2016, 10:04:28 PM »
Well, you already get better morale. And you have to pay more. You can already replenish your equipment after a battle by foraging.

So, all you want added is ... better looting in exchange for a higher casualty rate?

Better foraging too. The current foraging is pretty bad.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 05, 2016, 10:23:16 PM »
I agree that the current foraging isn't that great. I wonder if it accounts for the current state of your existing equipment? Foraging with 10% damage should be less effective than foraging with 80% damage. But you are picking over the equipment that didn't manage to keep the previous owner alive...

Also, not being able to forage after losing isn't likely to change.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 05, 2016, 10:43:40 PM »
I've had some half-done revamps to foraging for awhile, just haven't gotten it quite right (or looked at them lately). Basically, with larger unit sizes, its not very effective in damage repair.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 08, 2016, 02:00:38 PM »
I mean once in awhile you can find items or even come across the most interesting things, I just thought mercenaries would have a advantage over the others. I've always thought mercenary could even be it's own class rather than just a setting. Though in the day and age to re-purpose that is like purposing Army's to be renamed Battle Groups; a beautiful thought, but actuality of happening unlikely, though it would be interesting for to see the fruits of it.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 24, 2016, 09:20:09 AM »
I've had some half-done revamps to foraging for awhile, just haven't gotten it quite right (or looked at them lately). Basically, with larger unit sizes, its not very effective in damage repair.

foraging should definitely scale better with unit size, but not to a ridiculous extent... there is only going to be a finite amount of immediately usable stuff on corpses
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Zakilevo

« Reply #9: January 24, 2016, 09:23:26 AM »
foraging should definitely scale better with unit size, but not to a ridiculous extent... there is only going to be a finite amount of immediately usable stuff on corpses

A simple solution. Whoever forages first gets the most. Like how advies deal with monster groups. As more people use the option, the less stuff lying around for others to use.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 24, 2016, 09:28:34 AM »
A simple solution. Whoever forages first gets the most. Like how advies deal with monster groups. As more people use the option, the less stuff lying around for others to use.
That is how it works now.

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 24, 2016, 10:23:55 AM »
There is a huge benefit, though not so obvious.

Try marching your men from Makar to Suville. The morale will crush you to the point of having to turn back by the time you reach Falasan. Nearly impossible to wage a long-distance war without mercenary settings.

Likewise, if your Ruler is too chicken to have less than "I love you dearly forever" relations with everyone on your end of the island, you'll never manage to learn the Joy of Looting.