Author Topic: Xavax Imperium  (Read 132863 times)

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Xavax Imperium
« Reply #165: February 20, 2016, 01:29:51 AM »
Ah, I misunderstood. You are saying the second option is just to get the region to revolt, not to claim it as your own?

Again, though - if the issue is that people aren't accepting that local bureaucrats are finding old documents, why would they accept that the region just "decided" to swap to your realm all of the sudden?

The region revolts by itself, you can only push it over the edge by looting.

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #166: February 20, 2016, 01:30:11 AM »
If someone is using OOC knowledge in the game, then, again, ask them politely to change. If they don't, well, frankly, too darn bad. Not a single person playing this game actually has the experience of being a medieval noble, and precious few of them even have more than the remotest idea of what that experience would be like. (And I include myself in that.) This is a game, and people are playing it to have fun.

I'm sorry, that's crap and goes against everything we've ever played, since the beginning. Not mixing OOC and IC has nothing to do with "knowing how to be a medieval noble" - it is the fundamental rule of all role-playing games, without which everything else breaks down.

I don't think it's even accurate - I'm sure the Titans have dealt with this sort of mix many times in the past.

Please break your habit of grabbing a contrary view and then defending it with your back against the wall even when it is obvious silliness.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #167: February 20, 2016, 01:44:17 AM »
Ahem...

You can buy a region. There are two methods.
  • Immediately. This gives your realm an 'Ancient Claim!' text and the other realm an 'Corruption!' text. It gives you the region or fails.
  • At Full Turn. This should look identical to a normal region revolt. It gives you the region or fails (may fail immediately or at turn).

At full turn, there are also normal region revolts for regions with very low control. The new change now increases the chance a region revolts to a realm instead of rogue. There is also a chance it chooses a nearby noble to make its lord.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #168: February 20, 2016, 02:04:16 AM »
I'm sorry, that's crap and goes against everything we've ever played, since the beginning. Not mixing OOC and IC has nothing to do with "knowing how to be a medieval noble" - it is the fundamental rule of all role-playing games, without which everything else breaks down.

I don't think it's even accurate - I'm sure the Titans have dealt with this sort of mix many times in the past.

Please break your habit of grabbing a contrary view and then defending it with your back against the wall even when it is obvious silliness.

Yeah, if you're going to degenerate into insults, I'm done with this discussion.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #169: February 20, 2016, 02:06:36 AM »
Ahem...

You can buy a region. There are two methods.
  • Immediately. This gives your realm an 'Ancient Claim!' text and the other realm an 'Corruption!' text. It gives you the region or fails.
  • At Full Turn. This should look identical to a normal region revolt. It gives you the region or fails (may fail immediately or at turn).

At full turn, there are also normal region revolts for regions with very low control. The new change now increases the chance a region revolts to a realm instead of rogue. There is also a chance it chooses a nearby noble to make its lord.

He used the former.

Region Lost to Corruption   (1 day, 19 hours ago)
message to all nobles of Greater Xavax
Local government officials in Isadril announced earlier today that according to ancient documents, Noble Stegman Hemmings, who happened to coincidentally be in the region at that time, holds an ancient and undisputable claim to lordship of Isadril. They officially handed control of the region over to him and Perdan! Shortly afterwards, the responsible officials were nowhere to be found.

Fortunately, the militia units stationed in Isadril were not so easily fooled and have begun a guerilla war.

So no, it's not bad RP to immediately blame Stegman Hemmings. The event was publicly announced as "Corruption". He's just being a sore loser for making an obvious play for the city.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #170: February 20, 2016, 10:29:16 AM »
I do have to agree with the fact that people place an incredible amount of faith on the OOC knowledge of the options. No matter the RP you put into it.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

DeVerci

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #171: February 20, 2016, 03:52:15 PM »
There was an incident on Belu with this, where someone bought a region and complained about being called out on it, despite him sending a letter-realmwide saying he used his gold to get the region beforehand.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #172: February 20, 2016, 05:26:37 PM »
Well without an 'RP police' of sorts, which will likely never happen in BM, your choices are either to deal with these muddied IC/OOC lines, or just avoid them altogether. If you buy a region, expect people to call you out on doing exactly that. It's the same thing as being the only noble in a region where someone got stabbed, or cooking the books as a Banker, or what have you.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #173: February 21, 2016, 07:10:14 PM »
Well without an 'RP police' of sorts, which will likely never happen in BM, your choices are either to deal with these muddied IC/OOC lines, or just avoid them altogether. If you buy a region, expect people to call you out on doing exactly that. It's the same thing as being the only noble in a region where someone got stabbed, or cooking the books as a Banker, or what have you.

Exactly my point, which I think is a shame often. I try to avoid it myself. OOC I knew my banker had been messing with the books in Caergoth back in the days, but IC demanded the banker himself to lead the investigation to the percieved corruption. In my view it allows for more fun, but  yeah you got to realize most people don't consider it as such.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #174: February 21, 2016, 07:33:06 PM »
Exactly my point, which I think is a shame often. I try to avoid it myself. OOC I knew my banker had been messing with the books in Caergoth back in the days, but IC demanded the banker himself to lead the investigation to the percieved corruption. In my view it allows for more fun, but  yeah you got to realize most people don't consider it as such.

The issue is that the message the game sends you about "Corruption!" isn't OOC info, it's IC. And it is worded to make it sound like you in fact should be very suspicious of the person who received the region. Whereas the second way of buying a region has a normal revolt message and says the new lord is *Sir Blank*, leaving some room for doubt. So the Banker comparison actually doesn't even apply. He had an option to do it in such a way where he couldn't be directly linked with any certainty, but did not take it.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175: February 21, 2016, 07:34:30 PM »
It's fun the first few times. Maybe. But after the twelfth or thirteenth yahoo waltzes into your realm, makes himself a pain in the ass, then runs off to buy your ally's region just to "start some fun", you just boot the jerk to the curb, and move on. Alternately, the guy joins, says nothing, but immediately heads off and buys the region, then sends some annoying message about corruption, yada, yada...

The problem with these features is that they get used *way* too much, especially by some families who make it a habit. It's that one-click action that you can do without any interaction with other players, but you know will cause lots of problems. They just get used too much. Everyone wants to be that unique, special snowflake whose case is treated differently, and whose tired lies everyone plays along with.

Except you're not. You're just not that special snowflake. It's the same tired crap we've seen time and time again. Probably dozens of times. And quite a few people are just tired of playing along with it, especially when you know that the guy did it just to troll your realms.

So, if you want people to play along, then stop doing it every other friggin' week. Make it a *really* rare event. That way people can look at it as a "Holy !@#$! Look what happened!" and not "omfg... again?!"
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176: February 21, 2016, 07:37:08 PM »
The issue is that the message the game sends you about "Corruption!" isn't OOC info, it's IC. And it is worded to make it sound like you in fact should be very suspicious of the person who received the region. Whereas the second way of buying a region has a normal revolt message and says the new lord is *Sir Blank*, leaving some room for doubt. So the Banker comparison actually doesn't even apply. He had an option to do it in such a way where he couldn't be directly linked with any certainty, but did not take it.
The thing is, there's no room for doubt. Everyone knows, and everyone is just sick and tired of being told they have to play along. Especially when the guy doing it has a habit of doing it, acts like a clown, insults everyone, and in general is an ass.Then it doesn't matter what the game says. They're going to disown you, ban you, and throw you to the wolves.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #177: February 21, 2016, 07:40:55 PM »
The thing is, there's no room for doubt. Everyone knows, and everyone is just sick and tired of being told they have to play along. Especially when the guy doing it has a habit of doing it, acts like a clown, insults everyone, and in general is an ass.Then it doesn't matter what the game says. They're going to disown you, ban you, and throw you to the wolves.

That's what I was saying. He used an option that had no room for doubt, when there was an option that could have left room but he didn't use it. So no point in him complaining now.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #178: February 21, 2016, 08:44:52 PM »
I wouldn't have expected any less from Stegman. Too bad he won't be in Perdan anymore... hilarious char to play with, until, of course, he cocks it up massively.  ;D
Ardet nec consumitur.

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #179: February 22, 2016, 03:08:36 AM »
I kind of wish I had the option to have done it. It could have made for some interesting Roleplaying in Xavax as I'm sure a few of my fellow "loyalists" (like Reyjkovik and Odwella) would probably have supported my claim, while I'm sure Sayuki (and maybe Iuz) would have screamed bloody murder, all the while it would put Xerarch Selenia in a spot trying to keep balance between the two developing factions.