Author Topic: Naming Duchies  (Read 13488 times)

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Naming Duchies
« Topic Start: January 05, 2016, 02:58:28 PM »
Naming Duchies after nobles?

Where is this rule?  Further in Morek the recent titan decision against the ruler was a poor one in my opinion.  Previous ruler changed the Duchy names to name them after Indirik and after himself.  After I took over his Duchy the ruler changed Urtagonia to Kabrinskia. 

This has to be an obscure rule if one of the major contributors(titans?)  of the game didn't even know about it.  His Duchy was named after himself months and months ago with no repercussions.   I know the player of the Indirik family to be just and fair.  I have to believe he woulda said something if he knew it was against the rules.

I looked on the wiki and couldn't find any rule for this.  Combine that with the previous ruler doing it without punishment AND Indirik not saying anything about it leads me to question the Titans decision.

In my opinion the Titans made a poor decision considering the circumstances.  I hope they do better in the future.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Naming Duchies
« Reply #1: January 05, 2016, 05:26:32 PM »
I change a duchy's name in Gotland for every time a new duke is appointed, or the new duke requests a different name. And the previous duke was Stegman, notorious for asking a new name every other thursday!

So, uhm, it's not against the rules? Perhaps it's SMA in Dwilight that causes issues with this.
Ardet nec consumitur.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 05, 2016, 05:36:59 PM »
Titans removed our ruler for naming a Duchy after a characters family name.  My family name is Kabrinski.  I once founded a realm named Kabrinskia and asked that my Duchy be renamed to that.  The previous ruler, Urtagoth, had my Duchy and it was named Urtagonia or something like that.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 05, 2016, 09:15:50 PM »
It is stated directly on the IG page when renaming a duchy:

"Please do not rename at a whim, no "funny" names, no naming of duchies after their duke or such nonsense. In case of doubt, ask on the forum first. We don't want to have to restrict this feature further, ok?"

A prior ruler of Morek was punished for this exact rule violation a few months ago.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 05, 2016, 09:17:01 PM »
That prior judgment should have also included a duchy renaming as part of the resolution. I will ask IG for the next ruler to fix them.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 06, 2016, 03:59:31 AM »
It's frankly a bull!@#$ rule that directly contradicts with being able to name a realm after your character with no consequences.

Almost no one even knew about this rule, and frankly taking it out of the game would not affect the game in the slightest.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 06, 2016, 01:14:03 PM »
Lots of people apparently don't read the instructions for what they're doing. That doesn't mean they aren't responsible for what they do, or for breaking those rules they didn't read. So "nobody knew about it doesn't fly", especially when those rules are about two lines above the dialog box for entering the new name.

Having said that, the rule does go against established rules for realm names, and it is being reviewed, quite possibly to be changed.

However, please remember that the current dev team didn't make this rule. And rules don't ever get reviewed until they come to someone's attention when they get broken. And then only when someone makes a fuss about it and brings it to our attention. The titans are responsible for enforcing the rules AS WRITTEN, and not for rewriting the rules to suit their whim.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 19, 2016, 10:27:50 AM »
Alexander the great would have totally been removed as ruler if he'd played BM.

Being forbidden from naming places after people makes no sense, it has massive historical basis.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

EstionTarcyn

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 19, 2016, 04:56:09 PM »
Alexander the great would have totally been removed as ruler if he'd played BM.

Being forbidden from naming places after people makes no sense, it has massive historical basis.

Suppose the difference is Alexander raised cities and named them Alexandria. However historically there weren't Duchies that was called the Duchy of Robertia, then Duchy of Michaelia, then Duchy of Johnia. You wouldn't see the Duchy of Normandy, or Duchy of Lancashire suddenly be renamed to something else because of the holder having this name or that. If anything, cities and such should have an option to rename after a fallen hero or the like.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 19, 2016, 06:41:31 PM »
Suppose the difference is Alexander raised cities and named them Alexandria. However historically there weren't Duchies that was called the Duchy of Robertia, then Duchy of Michaelia, then Duchy of Johnia. You wouldn't see the Duchy of Normandy, or Duchy of Lancashire suddenly be renamed to something else because of the holder having this name or that. If anything, cities and such should have an option to rename after a fallen hero or the like.

Well considering this isn't a !@#$ing medieval simulator, plus such lofty examples as Duchy of Atreides, Duchy of Harkonnen, etc. from Frank Herbert's Dune provide fictional examples of duchies named after people.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 20, 2016, 07:06:39 PM »
Hmhm, but then the Duchy of Primus in Oligarch is also illegal no as I'm pretty sure it's named after a now dead char or something?
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 20, 2016, 10:32:02 PM »
Yes, it is named after a former player. The account was deleted a few years before the duchy was named.

In this case, I would think that the name does not violate the sprit if the rule. The intent of to prevent the frequent renaming of duchies every time a new Duke is appointed. Duchy names are not vanity titles. Every new Duke shouldn't get his duchy named after him.

The Primus duchy is probably OK, as it is named after a historical Sirion figure, not a current player.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 21, 2016, 12:36:41 PM »
Yes, it is named after a former player. The account was deleted a few years before the duchy was named.

In this case, I would think that the name does not violate the sprit if the rule. The intent of to prevent the frequent renaming of duchies every time a new Duke is appointed. Duchy names are not vanity titles. Every new Duke shouldn't get his duchy named after him.

The Primus duchy is probably OK, as it is named after a historical Sirion figure, not a current player.

Which makes the rule even more difficult to understand in my opinion.

Let's say Garas dies in the future, and the new Duke wishes to rename the Duchy to honor the founder of Oligarch (the realm) or something. Would that then be allowed (as it's unlikely that it will change with every new Duke)?
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 21, 2016, 03:48:39 PM »
"Please do not rename at a whim, no "funny" names, no naming of duchies after their duke or such nonsense."

Like I said, the sprit of the rule is that a duchy shouldn't be named, and renamed routinely, after the current Duke. Making a duchy after a now-dead hero of the realm, especially the founder, doesn't seem to violate the guidelines.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: January 21, 2016, 05:05:39 PM »
"Please do not rename at a whim, no "funny" names, no naming of duchies after their duke or such nonsense."

Like I said, the sprit of the rule is that a duchy shouldn't be named, and renamed routinely, after the current Duke. Making a duchy after a now-dead hero of the realm, especially the founder, doesn't seem to violate the guidelines.

And once again, this rule flies in the face of the fact that you can name a realm after your character with no consequences. I'm honestly more bothered by the fact that the rules here are not consistent, rather than it being one way or the other. So please, either make both realms and duchies unable to be named after current characters, or allow us to name them after characters. Don't have one set of rules for one, then another set of rules for another, when they're both a collection of regions that can be named by the players.