Author Topic: Starvation with Teeth  (Read 2650 times)

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Starvation with Teeth
« Topic Start: June 12, 2011, 04:24:45 AM »
Currently, if your troops start starving due to being in a starving region, a few of them will get wounded. Most of these wounds will heal by the next turn. If you have a healer with you, you might take one or two casualties per turn at most, from sitting in a starving region for days.

This doesn't make sense. A healer should not be any help against starvation. A unit sitting in a starving region for a week should take significant casualties.

I propose a new status for troops: "starving". This status will be similar to the wounded status, but not completely.

How they are different:

1. Wounds are only inflicted during battles, or special events like "battling peasants when trying to arrest a priest" or "ambushed while hunting". Starvation is only caused by being in a starving region. So if this feature were to be implemented, each time one of your troops would get wounded due to being in a starving region, he would become "starving" instead.

2. Healers can help your troops in recovering from the "wounded" status instead of dying, but is no help against the "starving" status.

3. Each wounded troop has a chance of recovering each turn, healer or no healer. However, starving troops will NOT recover if the unit remains in a starving region. If you stay in a starving region for a long time, expect a large percentage of your troops to be starving.

4. For realism, the "starving" status may kill troops slower than the "wounded" status. (Or is just less likely to kill each turn.)

How they are similar:

1. Just like wounded troops, starving troops do not participate in battles. Starving troops are not just hungry. They are too famished to walk, much less pick up their weapons and fight.

2. Just like wounded troops, many starving troops will slow down your travel, especially if you do not have carts with you.

3. Just like the "wounded" status, there are two ways to exit the "starving" status. Dying is one way. The other way is recovering normally, which will only happen if the unit is in a region that is not starving. In other words, if the unit is in a region that is not starving, then the starving troops will start recovering normally, just like wounded troops. A few may still die on you though, again, just like wounded troops.

What do you guys think?

Food for thought: Should these statuses stack? I'm thinking no. For simplicity's sake, maybe a wounded troop just dies if he starts starving as well. That sounds realistic to me. Also, we might want to add more fun statuses in the future. (Maybe SF units that can poison enemy troops?) Figuring out the effects of different combinations of statuses would just make it overly complicated for a game. I say if your troop is unfortunate enough to pick up more than one status, he's just dead.
------
qui audet vincit

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Re: Starvation with Teeth
« Reply #1: June 12, 2011, 09:24:48 AM »
Meh, I don't know. I guess it adds realism, but it would negate incentives to go to war. And realms on Dwilight, separated by rogue regions, wouldn't even be able to go to war, because by the time they reach enemy territory, they're all starving...

On the multiple statuses: for one, I don't think poisoning is SMA. Would you add freezing or fire damage next? Secondly, would you keep track of every single man in every unit? Let's say your unit is 30(+20 wounded), and 10 guys get poisoned. Would that become 20 (+30) or 30 (+10)? Sounds rather complicated to me.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 12, 2011, 10:17:47 AM »
Meh, I don't know. I guess it adds realism, but it would negate incentives to go to war. And realms on Dwilight, separated by rogue regions, wouldn't even be able to go to war, because by the time they reach enemy territory, they're all starving...

It would increase incentives to go to war if your realm is starving. Maybe your neighbor has extra food but wouldn't sell them. Or maybe you think his prices are unfair. Or maybe he says he doesn't have extra food but you think he's holding out on you. Or maybe he really doesn't have food to spare for you but you just plain don't care anymore. You can wait for all your troops to starve to death, or you can grab some caravans, cross the border, and start looting.

On Dwilight, you'll just have to start planning better, and have your knights bring food along with you on the campaign. That's already implemented. Your troops will eat food from your caravan if the region is starving.

One secession and war has already started in Dwilight due to food price disputes.

On the multiple statuses: for one, I don't think poisoning is SMA. Would you add freezing or fire damage next? Secondly, would you keep track of every single man in every unit? Let's say your unit is 30(+20 wounded), and 10 guys get poisoned. Would that become 20 (+30) or 30 (+10)? Sounds rather complicated to me.

Err, no. I'm not suggesting ice or fire magic. Poison is a weapon that was utilized in medieval Europe.

And SMA only applies to Dwilight. There are other islands.
------
qui audet vincit

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 12, 2011, 10:24:08 AM »
Yeah, sorry. The ice and fire argument was worthless. IRL frustrations.  >:(

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 12, 2011, 09:18:59 PM »
It would increase incentives to go to war if your realm is starving. Maybe your neighbor has extra food but wouldn't sell them. Or maybe you think his prices are unfair. Or maybe he says he doesn't have extra food but you think he's holding out on you. Or maybe he really doesn't have food to spare for you but you just plain don't care anymore. You can wait for all your troops to starve to death, or you can grab some caravans, cross the border, and start looting.

On Dwilight, you'll just have to start planning better, and have your knights bring food along with you on the campaign. That's already implemented. Your troops will eat food from your caravan if the region is starving.

One secession and war has already started in Dwilight due to food price disputes.

Err, no. I'm not suggesting ice or fire magic. Poison is a weapon that was utilized in medieval Europe.

And SMA only applies to Dwilight. There are other islands.

Looting your neighbour for food because he ain't selling enough to you is a poor strategy, as war damages production and you'll just lock yourself in a vicious cycle in which he'll be even less able to supply you with anything.

If it's cause he is holding out, though, that's another story.

But keep in mind most rogue regions are starving, and on Dwilight you frequently have to pass by a few of these to get to most realms.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 14, 2011, 12:53:49 AM »
The looting is just to make sure that your troops don't starve to death before actually fighting the enemy. Of course, it will be followed by TOs, because surely your lords can do a better job at managing these regions than your neighbor's lords.
------
qui audet vincit