Author Topic: What to do about adventurers?  (Read 2719 times)

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
What to do about adventurers?
« Topic Start: January 24, 2016, 11:06:04 AM »
I created a bunch of new adventurers - and then paused them all. Too many characters. I tried to make personalities for each, but the communication is so bad and there are so many, it just became a "log in and click" exercise.

Should we give some thought to how adventurers can better integrate with the realm & real game, to make them as desirable as nobles? Or is that already happening places?

All ideas welcome. Remember - "We will NEVER have a forum in Battlemaster!"

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: What to do about adventurers?
« Reply #1: January 24, 2016, 05:04:35 PM »
I'm actually working on a couple of things (no ETA yet, sorry) that should significantly improve adventurer quality-of-life.

The first is getting rid of the hash system for hunts. Sharing hunts will be done in a completely different, and much less immersion-breaking, way, as will continuing old hunts. I also plan to make it much less likely that when you come back to a hunt that you ran out of time for, you'll just have to start from scratch—instead, assuming you have enough adventurer skill, you'll be able to try and track the group you were hunting last to where they went.

Once that's done, I have separate plans to overhaul shared hunts entirely so that they can be actually shared—a bunch of advies teaming up to simultaneously take on a group that none of them would be strong enough to face alone.

However, Tom has been very explicit that adventurers are not intended to integrate very much with the noble game. And while yes, there have been things he has said will never happen that have now happened, that doesn't mean that it's a good idea to push for all the other things he's said won't happen to happen.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 24, 2016, 11:33:10 PM »
Sounds good - look forward to those.

"Adventurers should not integrate too much with nobles" -my interpretation of this is that In Game they should not be buddy-buddy. That doesn't mean that the characters can't mingle, via RP. That was always my take, anyway.

This may simply be too many characters fatigue on my own part. I know others do a lot of good RP with them.

On the other hand, I'm seeing a lot of second-character syndrome where the adventurer is just being used as a mindless drone to come clear monsters from an area.

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 21, 2016, 10:02:49 PM »
Thanks Tim for fixing the refresh of "tireness" for advies.
It was not nice to need to click somewhere to see how much tireness were left after resting.

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 22, 2016, 03:56:39 AM »
Thanks Tim for fixing the refresh of "tireness" for advies.
It was not nice to need to click somewhere to see how much tireness were left after resting.
Definitely an awesome QoL fix!
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 23, 2016, 07:49:38 AM »
Sound good. Recently I restarted playing adventurer again. I almost forgot how it looks like, but I determine to give it a try this time. After all, one of my nobles who later grew up his career to King came from adventurer background no less ::)

Also I hear about the hashtag will be improve. That is good in my opinion, as adventurer does not keep a logbook of where hunt group stop. Thank you Anaris and devs!
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 27, 2016, 09:57:24 PM »
Nope adventurers are outcast they are bottom feeders that want to achieve power and few and far between do. Only improvement we could do is to let them stab or possible fight nobles or escape dungeons or make it easier for them to create items for the nobility.

Best improvement for them would be something like the scribe report where they can chart the locations of monsters so they would not have to send out messages and such for themselves.
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)