Author Topic: Volunteer Task: Map Re-Creation Project  (Read 67769 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Volunteer Task: Map Re-Creation Project
« Topic Start: February 09, 2016, 06:51:08 PM »
While there are not many tasks that non-developers can help with in improving BattleMaster, re-creating the original game maps so that they are easier to work with is one such task.

The maps were originally created in the Age of Wonders map editor, which is available as part of the Age of Wonders game on Steam for $6 regularly (on sale for $1.49 during their Lunar New Year sale, and various other sales throughout the year).

The top priority map to recreate is Dwilight, since the original full-sized geographic (without region names & borders) map was lost years ago.

Please understand that this is a project to re-create the existing maps in as much detail as possible, not to change or improve anything.

Any questions can be asked in this thread, which can also be used to coordinate the effort. Highly relevant answers will be added to this first post.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
Re: Volunteer Task: Map Re-Creation Project
« Reply #1: February 15, 2016, 03:39:08 AM »
Do you have any idea of what the original map size was? Or how to screenshot the entire thing?

I have AoW 1 on GOG.com and have the CDs for Shadow Magic.
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 15, 2016, 03:51:08 AM »
Do you have any idea of what the original map size was?

Not off the top of my head. Lemme see if I can check...

Looks to be 2600x2600 pixels.

Or how to screenshot the entire thing?

Well, if you really want to, the way is to get a really big monitor.

But that's not what I'm looking for. I'm honestly after the actual Age of Wonders map file, so that I can then take the screenshots and splice them together, and subsequently make any changes that we ever want to make to the map (and re-screenshot and splice).

I have AoW 1 on GOG.com and have the CDs for Shadow Magic.

While it might be cool to see what some of the existing maps would look like done in the AoW2 (3?) or Shadow Magic editors, that's much lower priority than getting them re-created in the original AoW editor.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Ossan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 15, 2016, 03:56:52 AM »
Alright sounds good, I'll see what I can do in the original editor.
Taselak is Best-elak.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 15, 2016, 03:57:15 AM »
Alright sounds good, I'll see what I can do in the original editor.

Thanks!
Timothy Collett

Zakilevo

« Reply #5: February 15, 2016, 04:21:35 AM »
You don't want to try it on AoW2 creator. It is quite different and all the cities are larger.

Ossan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 15, 2016, 04:32:39 AM »
Yeah, it's also a little easier to use :p

This is both easier and harder than I thought it might be. But so far I've got a good outline going, starting in Madina and working outwards.

EDIT: I suspect there may have been a bit of photoshopping for the fields in Fatmilak, and I can't match up those rocks to the right of that mine at the top of Lugagun oir the land its supposed to be sitting on :p I'll keep working on this tomorrow though. This is fun.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 05:12:38 AM by Ossan »
Taselak is Best-elak.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 15, 2016, 03:00:13 PM »
I'm very curious what your first draft will look like! Keep us posted  ;D
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: February 15, 2016, 05:31:01 PM »
The Dwilightv map was a cut-and-paste job from sections of the other maps. It was never done in the real editor. I'm not surprised you can't get it to match exactly.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: February 15, 2016, 05:32:37 PM »
Indeed, the fine details of the Dwilight map aren't all going to work right (for instance, I think the farms are all pointing the wrong way); the important part is to make sure that the outlines all match reasonably closely, and the decorative bits are at least in the same spirit as the map we have now.
Timothy Collett

Ossan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: February 15, 2016, 11:40:54 PM »
I see, thanks that helps a lot. I'll try to make it as close as possible.
Taselak is Best-elak.

Ossan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: February 17, 2016, 08:39:13 PM »
What I've got so far, the river was heavily photoshopped as well as random pieces of the coast. I usually end up wiping out and redoing stuff at least once but I think I can get it pretty close. The river will be redone at least one more time...

http://i.imgur.com/jRJb8X9.png

EDIT: Second picture fixed: http://i.imgur.com/kPjFju4.png
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 08:41:27 PM by Ossan »
Taselak is Best-elak.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: February 17, 2016, 08:41:18 PM »
So long as it has the contours of the coastline and such more or less matching the ones in-game, it's going to be so much better than what we've got now there's no comparison. ;D
Timothy Collett

Ossan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: February 17, 2016, 08:42:58 PM »
Yeah I'm starting with the outlines of the coast first and then working my way in afterwards once I'm sure its all lined up as close as possible.
Taselak is Best-elak.

Zakilevo

« Reply #14: February 17, 2016, 08:48:27 PM »
Yeah I'm starting with the outlines of the coast first and then working my way in afterwards once I'm sure its all lined up as close as possible.

That is what I did. I got pretty frustrated when I could never line things up properly. I should have tried with something smaller heh. Good that you are working on it now :D