Author Topic: Volunteer Task: Map Re-Creation Project  (Read 68505 times)

Zakilevo

Re: Volunteer Task: Map Re-Creation Project
« Reply #60: January 06, 2017, 03:48:21 PM »
Quick question right off the bat, Zakky,

What size did you use when making yours? I have the options from small (48x48) to XL (128x128).

I assume XL? Better to have left over space than run out of space I imagine.

Always use XL.

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: January 06, 2017, 04:06:11 PM »
Another question:

In my Places tab under tiles, I am already aware that I don't have some tiles of cities. Itorunt, for example, does not seem to exist in my tile inventory... Were these place in by an image editor after the fact or am I missing something?
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: January 06, 2017, 04:11:48 PM »
Each race has a different style of city. Itorunt appears to be a Dark Elf city.

Except for Dwilight, every map was made entirely in the Age of Wonders editor—the only Photoshopping required was for adding region names & borders and ferry routes.

(And, for EC, AT, and FEI, adding and moving the glaciers.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: January 06, 2017, 04:13:39 PM »
Ok cool! I just have to dig in then and figure out the editor. I apologize for all the questions, I just figure with the work that has been done a lot of these problems have been encountered by others as well.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: January 06, 2017, 04:14:34 PM »
Ok cool! I just have to dig in then and figure out the editor. I apologize for all the questions, I just figure with the work that has been done a lot of these problems have been encountered by others as well.

Not a problem! There's definitely a lot there in the AoW editor: there are plenty of things BM has never even used, though I'd be interested in using some of it in future maps.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: January 06, 2017, 04:29:15 PM »
Absolutely! I see that now. Some very cool things could be made in the future. Got the cities all figured out, and that knowledge mitigated some other ponderies I had floating around in my head. Cooking with fire now!

One thing though, and this is a later problem for sure, but when I click to preview, the editor seems to just crash. I have tried the different resolutions for preview, same result. Did anyone else have this problem? I acknowledge it might be a computer issue that I have to solve on my end but I thought I would ask.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: January 06, 2017, 04:36:07 PM »
One thing though, and this is a later problem for sure, but when I click to preview, the editor seems to just crash. I have tried the different resolutions for preview, same result. Did anyone else have this problem? I acknowledge it might be a computer issue that I have to solve on my end but I thought I would ask.

Oh, yeah, don't do that :P

I've never had the preview work. The way to convert an AoW Editor map into a BM map is to take screenshots and stitch them together ;D
Timothy Collett

Zakilevo

« Reply #67: January 06, 2017, 05:10:05 PM »
Hah! You fools! My preview works mwuahhaa. But it is a useless feature for us.

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: January 06, 2017, 08:38:36 PM »
So it turns out the dynamic map zoomed in fully is the exact same size as the map editor. I am flying through cutting the shape of the continent out of the left side, moving from reference point to reference point. However, I have run into a snag. Because of that stupid legend, I can't line up the right side with the dynamic map haha. It isn't a super big deal, just going to slow the process down. I have been throwing down the cities and major landmarks as I go, but the tedious part is going to be filling all the trees and pebbles and crap. As I am sure Zakky can already attest to lol.

Once I have the continent cut out I might screenshot it together to show here. Or I might just power on through. I dunno.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: January 06, 2017, 08:40:47 PM »
So it turns out the dynamic map zoomed in fully is the exact same size as the map editor. I am flying through cutting the shape of the continent out of the left side, moving from reference point to reference point. However, I have run into a snag. Because of that stupid legend, I can't line up the right side with the dynamic map haha. It isn't a super big deal, just going to slow the process down. I have been throwing down the cities and major landmarks as I go, but the tedious part is going to be filling all the trees and pebbles and crap. As I am sure Zakky can already attest to lol.

You should be able to minimize the legend by clicking the [-] button at the top of it.
Timothy Collett

Zakilevo

« Reply #70: January 06, 2017, 09:07:33 PM »
For Dwilight Zooming in wasn't that good for some reason.

Not sure about EC. Looks like you are breezing it through.

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: January 06, 2017, 09:31:32 PM »
Sorry Anaris, I meant the tool box on the editor. I had to take a piece of paper and measure each length of the coast line on the East side of the continent haha but I think I got it. Just doing up the Obsidian Isles islands, and then I am going to start throwing down trees and all that hellish crap.

Uuumm one question I am hoping someone might be able to help me with. What the heck is the building located at Sir Temple? I can't find it anywhere in the tool box... It is the only building I don't have on the map right now.

Yeah Zakky from what I have read it sounds like Dwilight was just all around unpleasant to work with. I do not envy you that at all!

I am definitely playing fast and loose with the save button. Just too in the zone. I gotta hit that thing more lol.

Zakilevo

« Reply #72: January 06, 2017, 10:02:16 PM »
Sir Temple is photoshopped version of Wizard Tower. You can't recreate that. I'd just use the Wizard Tower.

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: January 06, 2017, 10:19:32 PM »
Roger Wilco

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: January 06, 2017, 11:57:34 PM »
Ok, here is what I have so far. I think this is probably the 75% solution. Big thing missing here is most of the trees.

For reference, the regular Political Map:

I noticed one or two minor coastline tweaks that need to be made, but if anyone sees anything please let me know. My eyes are literally squares right now so I can't concentrate on !@#$ all.