Author Topic: Volunteer Task: Map Re-Creation Project  (Read 67804 times)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Volunteer Task: Map Re-Creation Project
« Reply #30: May 05, 2016, 11:29:28 PM »
Anyone else is invited to work on the project as well.

Feel free. :P
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: June 06, 2016, 02:00:46 AM »
Hmm I ended up getting busy and forgot all about this, I don't see myself finishing it anytime soon unfortunately. Though I will probably give it a try again eventually. Sorry.
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

Konrad

• BM Dev Team
  • Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: October 05, 2016, 05:01:55 AM »
Just from looking at the wiki, why is http://wiki.battlemaster.org/images/WestContinent-Large-Geo.jpg not the full size geo map referred to in the OP?

Zakilevo

« Reply #33: October 05, 2016, 05:03:51 AM »
Just from looking at the wiki, why is http://wiki.battlemaster.org/images/WestContinent-Large-Geo.jpg not the full size geo map referred to in the OP?

That is the original Dwilight map not the one we have in the game :o

Konrad

• BM Dev Team
  • Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: October 05, 2016, 05:04:34 AM »
That is the original Dwilight map not the one we have in the game :o
Ohhh

Zakilevo

« Reply #35: October 05, 2016, 05:12:04 AM »
Ohhh

The one we have in the game is no longer there. So we need someone to make a copy of it.

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: October 10, 2016, 08:25:29 AM »
So, I took a quick stab at this, and I have to say that some creative license will have to be authorized. It is NOT possible to get an exact replica of the in-game Dwilight map using the AoW editor. The reason for this is that certain parts of it were touched up or stitched together in an image editor.
Like my programming? Become my patron!

Zakilevo

« Reply #37: October 10, 2016, 06:27:42 PM »
So, I took a quick stab at this, and I have to say that some creative license will have to be authorized. It is NOT possible to get an exact replica of the in-game Dwilight map using the AoW editor. The reason for this is that certain parts of it were touched up or stitched together in an image editor.

Anaris is not looking for 1:1 copy. Like you said, it is impossible. But he wants something as close as possible.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: November 24, 2016, 07:14:05 PM »
If the map is to be redrawn... what about rethinking it? A lot of it made a lot more sense when we had a ton of nobles than we do now. Dwilight's geography has been a major limiting factor throughout it's history, with all those natural barriers and chokepoints leading to huge nations without neighbors and without effective means of warring the few they have.

So how about we rethink it a bit? Remove some excess land, remove some chokepoints, move some parts of it closer to the rest, and add in a few land bridges?

example:

Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: November 24, 2016, 10:49:04 PM »
No. Changing a map is a lot more effort than just changing the background image.

Zakilevo

« Reply #40: November 24, 2016, 11:48:52 PM »
Well Chenier can't get the map editor to work so... we need to find a new volunteer  :'(

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: November 25, 2016, 01:51:09 AM »
Well Chenier can't get the map editor to work so... we need to find a new volunteer  :'(

Yea, not sure what that's about. My display doesn't work, the main one. The minimap works, and suggests that the editor is in fact doing the stuff I'm clicking for, but I can't actually see it. Pretty sure I had it work on this computer before, but I hadn't touched that since forever ago. AoW was free on gog a while ago, I believe I posted it on these forums when it happened. Shame not more people went to fetch it, it's back to nearly 10$ now.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: November 25, 2016, 11:28:02 AM »
Apart from the fact that it is apparently allot of work, i like some of the suggestions, like the extra region between moses end amando and nidogs mark.
Its a minor change that has major effects for that area.

de stretching Dwilight also seems a good idea, bringing north and south closer together.
When i first saw the map of Dwilight i thought it would be awesome to have maps like this, where multiple worlds are connected and certain areas can be considered as continents on their own.
But now i know it has its down sides as well, especially with the current lower noble density.
This map isnt designed for low noble density but rather for a very high number of nobles.

smaller, better connected maps like south islands are far better suited for a low noble count.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: November 25, 2016, 01:32:05 PM »
If it didn't have to be made with the AoW editor, though, something could be patched up. I've given a few examples of AoW-liked rendered map. The main difference is contour, it wouldn't have any (no shores, trees cut in half). Mountains were poorly rendered, but as none of the mountain ranges actually changed as far as I can tell, that can just be copy-pasted with ease. Can't promise to ever have time/motivation for this, though I do believe I had already drawn the contours for most of Dwilight.

Modifying the map wouldn't really be much more work than redoing it, either. Maybe even less so. I'm not sure how it all looks like server-side, for travel connections and all, but going for a new version off the bat would definitely be a lot less work than doing it as is, and then modifying it.

And let's face it. Dwi's geography looked really, really cool at first. Some of these things disappointed. Others just don't work as well now that we have much less players. A huge amount of thought and effort went into pushing players to adopt new mentalities and new practices, and to change the mechanics underlying gameplay, but a disproportionately insignificant amount of it went into the maps, who almost only changed to reduce land mass, and which's modifications were almost always terrible for gameplay. But despite what some say, geography is, at least largely, deterministic. Comparing political maps of AT and BT in the days, and just their histories, went a long way to support this. Sure, realms weren't always all in exactly the same spot, but most of the continents were usually occupied by similar-expanse realms. And if there's one word to qualify the underlying concept for Dwi's geography, it's the one thing we don't want right now: isolation. That map was intentionally designed to create as much isolation as possible. Multiple thin strips of land, with islands, sliced up into countless parts by rivers, mountains, and deserts, so that some places of it would simply never be able to meaningfully interact with other parts of it. Even the cities are placed in ways to promote "natural realms", with clumps of them together seperated by vast areas of wildness. The idea now is to bring people back closer together, but it's against the map's very nature.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: November 29, 2016, 04:59:46 PM »
Well this is about the best I can/care to do. It's mixed-resolution, some parts at the 2600 pixel size and some at the 1300 pixel size.A few cities are not super clean. Otherwise, at most zooms, shouldn't really be noticeable. The islands are just imported from the political map, unmodified, because they are so thin and plastered with names that it'd be too much of a hassle to remove the names and it'd yield a huge mess.